Skip to content

Characters levelling on casting Lesser Restoration?

Hi forums, I have a question about the mechanics of Lesser Restoration that I haven't been able to solve through my own research. I'm running through chapter 3 and 4 right now, encountering lots of vampires. This means lots of restoration. One thing I'm concerned about though, is that every time I've cast it it has leveled both the recipient and the caster. I understand the target leveling if that's how they handle it mechanically, but what's really strange to me is that the caster has also leveled every time, and I'm concerned with ending up with an overpowered party and negating a lot of the challenge of the game. Is this a bug? A coincidence? Or am I just completely misreading the situation? Thanks, and sorry for asking so many questions!

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    You mean that every time a character is "restored", he levels up? Are you sure it wasn't because your character had gotten enough experience through the quest while he was level drained?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    When you are lvl drained, your character keeps collecting xp as normal, however his current xp value is hidden. And to add insult to injury he can never level up while being level drained. When you restore the character, if he has accumulated enough xp for a lvl up while drained, he will immediately level up:with that level up sound effect and the plus sign on portrait. You push lvl up button and give weapon proficiencies, thief skills etc. as you like.

If the xp total was not enough for a lvl up, the restoration will restore the character to its former level automatically, no level up screen or choices. You may need to fill up your spell slots unless you are a spontaneous caster (like a sorcerer), though.
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    The weird thing is that the caster had a level up too.

One thing I'm concerned about though, is that every time I've cast it it has leveled both the recipient and the caster. I understand the target leveling if that's how they handle it mechanically, but what's really strange to me is that the caster has also leveled every time

Does it always happen ? Wherever the area ?

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yes, the caster shouldn't be leveling up. Leveling up the cured character is intended behavior given he has accumulated enough XP while drained.
    Maybe the caster also restored himself?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @lunar From his description I gather the caster levels up every time the spell is cast, no matter the target.
    @FinneousPJ Yeah but that would have been so ridiculously broken, if it was a serious bug like this many people would have noticed it before. I think there is some sort of misunderstanding here.

Then again it hits me I never casted restoration from a cleric in bg2:ee, I always use the scrolls or temples. Hmm...
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Are you sure you're not just confusing the caster becoming fatigued on casting the restoration spell with leveling up? I find it highly unlikely a bug like this would go unnoticed.