Skip to content

Question about stacking spells/effects

1) Does blackguard poison stack with assassin poison on a single target? Will the slow effect from the greater poison stack?

2) Do sneak attacks stack? I understand that a character can only sneak attack once per target, but can a single target be sneak attacked by multiple sneak attackers?

3) Will multiple instances of righteous wrath of the faithful stack if I'm using multiple clerics? As a sub question, when the spell description states that characters "of the same alignment as the cleric" will get extra APR, does this literally mean the *exact* same alignment? Or anything on the good/neutral/evil spectrum? (i.e., CN neutral cleric casting would give full benefits to any neutral party member? Or only to other CN characters?)

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    1) They are the same poison ability. So yes the poison will stack. Despite what you've probably read online its poison does not progress with level (so it doesn't get any kind of slow ability).

2) Not sure.

3) No. As to the follow up question I believe its based around the good/neutral/evil spectrum, so with a good aligned cleric casting it good characters would all benefit from it regardless of where they fall on the lawful-chaotic spectrum.
    wubbleJuliusBorisovShikao
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Not only that but a blackguards and assassin poison weapon abilities stack with themselves. As in, if you hit the same target multiple times with poison it will overlap and you can quickly see huge amounts of poison damage being done.

I was under the impression that RWotF had to have exactly the same alignment but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

If a monster can only be sneak attacked once full stop rather than each thief being able to sneak attack once I'd say it was a bug and should be reported.
    JuliusBorisovShikao
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2014
    Wowo said:

I was under the impression that RWotF had to have exactly the same alignment but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I just checked with the pre-made party (which has a lawful good, neutral good, and chaotic good party member). As long as they all share the same "moral alignment" (good/neutral/evil) it will grant the extra bonuses (the APR, saving throw and attack roll bonus).
    lunarJuliusBorisovjackjack
  • amk320amk320 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the input all.

I'm still curious if sneak attacks can be stacked on a single target. Not only in terms of damage (which I imagine could be tested), but also if the effects of crippling strike would stack (I'm not sure how this could be tested...)

Thinking about running blackguard/assassin/stalker and wondering how their abilities would interact.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Judging by my party's reaction to enemy thieves, it seems that being sneak attacked once makes you immune to *all* sneak attacks for a whole, regardless of source. I can only speculate that this would apply to your own thieves as well.
  • amk320amk320 Member Posts: 15
    I may just have to make a test party and use multiple sneak attackers on the same target. That would be the only way to know if the crippling strike debuffs are stacking.

Can't imagine why it wouldn't. If the poisons stack, you would think this should too...