Skip to content

Looking for someone who is bored and tech savy

JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
edited August 2012 in Site Resources
Hello and thanks for coming to my thread!

I'm trying to play Icewind Dale 1 & 2 on my Windows Vista 64bit computer and it seems impossible.

Things I've tried:
-Normal installation and patched version.
-Every single differant 'compatibility mode' option available.
-'Run as Admin' on and off with every option mentioned.

What happens everytime:
-I can get to the opening game menu and whenever I try to start a game I get a message that says "Unable to connect to game session." (I only want to play single player, but this still comes up!)

If there's anyone that can help me I would love you forever and ever!

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited August 2012
    Welcome to the forums!

There are a few problems with running Infinity Engine games on modern operating systems. I assume you're using CDs, because I've never heard of compatibility issues from Good Old Games.

What you can do is try installing the game in a directory other than C:\Program Files. There are some weird protection issues when it comes to that folder so try installing it into C:\ on Vista.

Are you using Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster?
  • JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the reply!

Sorry I forgot to mention something, which answers your question: Yes I tried both directories. (c:\ & the default path)

Also yes I'm using the CDs from way back in the day haha. I also have NWN Diamond and that has problems but I don't really care about that, I just want to play IWD. I have every expansion but I'm so desperate to play I don't mind even getting only the original game to work.

One more thing, I've looked up this issue and I've seen people who have the same problem but never saw a successful fix.

(Edit - fixed typo)
    I'm running a Windows Vista 32bit, I usually play on an XP though. I don't know if IWD works on this but Baldur's Gate does so I would expect them all to cooperate.

If it comes down to all worst, you'll need to buy it off Good Old Games which is Vista compatible. Buying a new copy shouldn't be necessary though, there are workarounds.

I'll summon @AndreaColombo, he'll know what to do.

Dananananana!
    Thank you!

Fun fact: I got all of these games to work on my old computer (XP), but not on this new computer (Vistax64).

However, Baldur's gate 1&2 + expansions work fine on my new (Vistax64) computer. Flawlessly I might add. My only problems are with IWD and NWN.
    edited August 2012
    @Jaysama I'm sure you aren't oblivious, but you definitely are clicking single player, right? I was actually surprised at how complicated the navigation is. You have to 'set' a game mode and then make a game for it to work properly.

I have an idea. Set up GameRanger and we'll start a game and see if it works in multiplayer.
    Ward said:

@Jaysama I'm sure you aren't oblivious, but you definitely are clicking single player, right? I was actually surprised at how complicated the navigation is. You have to 'set' a game mode and then make a game for it to work properly.

I have an idea. Set up GameRanger and we'll start a game and see if it works in multiplayer.

Sorry for the delay, I didn't know what GameRanger was, plus IWD wasn't installed currently since I've tried redoing it so many times.

I have both installed now. (Vanilla IWD)

What do you want me to do? (My name on GameRanger is Lilly
    Add Sir Prickface on GameRanger. I can't find you, there are too many people with the same name.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    I'm deeply sorry to disappoint, but I have no useful insight to share on this. And I never owned any IWD game. /runs for cover

I'm deeply sorry to disappoint, but I have no useful insight to share on this. And I never owned any IWD game. /runs for cover

Considering the amount of research, and time wasted on this I'm not suprised, but I fully appreciate your response!

It's my fault for having Windows Vista *laughs* I'll end up playing it on another PC eventually, I think.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Have you tried ye old 'compatibility mode' and run as an older OS (right click on .exe > properties > choose XP SP2)?
    decado said:

Have you tried ye old 'compatibility mode' and run as an older OS (right click on .exe > properties > choose XP SP2)?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried that.
  • LephidilesLephidiles Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2012
    And there isent any firewall things popping up in the background that you cant see ?
    edit: also have you downloaded or checked if there are any patches for IWD on the web ?

Just trowing out a suggustion here havent played IWD since my OS was windows 95 and it used to work back then :P
    No there's nothing like that, and I've decided to just give up and buy the game (for the third time) through Goodoldgames.com.

I'm having worries about more compatibility issues through that version since they claim it's "Vista friendly" but don't mention x64bit (which from what I can tell is the king of compatibility problems).

Can anyone provide any insight on the reputation, personal experiences, and chances that purchasing a game off that site won't work?
    Vista friendly should mean that it'll work across all operating systems of that build, despite minor hardware conflicts between each other.

If it doesn't work atleast you keep all the pretty artwork.