Skip to content

should druid/cleric dual classes be allowed to use restricted items eith use any item?

when they dual to thief to get the hla. I think they actually shouldn't allowed to ude them ebcause the restricitons are not because they are not able to use them otherwise. They don't use them because their beliefs prevent them from using such items.

Comments

• kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I think it depends on if you're a roleplayer or not. From a computer game standpoint anything the game will let you do is considered acceptable by most gamers, but from a roleplaying standpoint a druid or cleric would probably not be able to use any items which might put them at odds with their god or faith.

The Use Any Item ability would almost certainly be vastly curtailed in a pen and paper game with a human DM/GM. Of course, in 2nd Edition there was no such thing as the Use Any Item ability. Instead Thieves could attempt to read magical scrolls, with the chance of a potentially disastrous failure. 3rd Edition introduced the Use Magic Device skill, which again only allowed a chance of successfully using a magical item. Pumping a ton of skill points into the skill would have been required to "use any item."

So, the answer to what should be done is up to the individual player. I don't think Beamdog would change the way the HLA works since they work hard to preserve the original feel of the series.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    I don't want it ot to be patched by beamdog if it sounds like that it's more of a thing that it feels like one of many inconsistencies n such regards that the original team put into the game. It's the same with druids beeing able to wear metal armor if they are multi or dual classed in the original release.

The whole thing is implemented strangely since the use magical items skill from 3rd ed it is based on does only help to surpass magicwl limitations instead of allowing your character to suddenly be able to use exotic or war weapons or to know how to properly move in heavy armor.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Druid/thieves is what i want (without mods). Restrictions Yes or No i don't care.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    Cleric/thieves always felt like the free spirited heretics of the hierarchy to me. (Well ofcourse unless a cleric of god of thieves/thievery)Thus at high lvls I feel ok that they can do the ultimate heresy for a dnd cleric, like using a bladed weapon in combat!
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    HLA were kind of the precursor to epic level feats, which are when characters truly begin stepping into the realm occupied by top level beings such as Gods.

I don't see it as absurd that an adventurer that strong could twist the normal class rules a bit.
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    lunar said:

Cleric/thieves always felt like the free spirited heretics of the hierarchy to me. (Well ofcourse unless a cleric of god of thieves/thievery)Thus at high lvls I feel ok that they can do the ultimate heresy for a dnd cleric, like using a bladed weapon in combat!

Clerics of Mask -most coherent cleric/thief dual class- for example should be able to use their deity's favored weapon type. His is a longsword.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Stealthwhisper

Cyric's favored weapon is also a longsword
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Razor's_Edge

Another proof of that is the Priest of Helm's ability Seeking Sword.
    It's really just kind of inconsistent to go with the generic priest restrictions with every priest even if they don't make sense but then completely ignore them in such cases.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Upon reaching epic levels, cleric/thieves become so glib (and so important to their faith) that they successfully fast-talk their gods into letting them get away with breaking the normal restrictions.

Basically, high level cleric/thieves are Abraham. :P
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Jarrakul said:

Basically, high level cleric/thieves are Abraham. :P

They get assassinated in theatre by someone shouting 'Sic semper tyrannis'?
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yes. That is clearly the only Abraham I could possibly be talking about.
    Abraham was totally rocking a staff though. Like Moses.