Skip to content

Glitterdust is broken

ProteusProteus Member Posts: 40
Isn't this spell supposed to hit everything in range, instead of just enemies? At least that's how I remember it from BG2 and ToEE. Not complaining about it's usefulness, but it almost feels like cheating every time I cast it.

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Yeah, it's not broken, it's just that awesome. Replaces detect invisibility and blinds enemies? Yes please!
  • ProteusProteus Member Posts: 40
    edited December 2014
    Belanos said:

Proteus said:

At least that's how I remember it from BG2 and ToEE.

You remember it wrong. From the BG2EE manual:

"All enemies in the area must roll a successful Saving Throw vs. Spell or be blinded (-4 penalty to attack rolls and Armor Class) for 4 rounds. In addition, all enemies who fail their Saving Throw are covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades, thus revealing invisible creatures."

It doesn't say a thing about party members being affected as well.

Hmm. I just loaded up BG2 (original version) and that is exactly the description. However, this is from the original SoA manual, which is what was confusing me:

Glitterdust (Conjuration/Summoning)
    Range: 10 yards Saving Throw: Special
    Casting Time: 2 Area of Effect: 10-foot radius
    Duration: 4 rounds
    This spell creates a cloud of glittering golden particles within the area
    of effect. Those in the area must roll a successful saving throw vs. spell
    or be blinded (-4 penalties to attack rolls, saving throws, and Armor
    Class) for 4 rounds. In addition, all within the area are covered by the
    dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades.
    Note that this reveals invisible creatures. The dust fades in 4 rounds.

Never actually used that spell in BG2 as all my Lvl 2 slots were permanantly occupied by Blur/Mirror image. Learned something today I guess.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    And that's not even the only error in that spell description. It says that those who are blinded by the spell get -4 to saves, which isn't true.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Note that if invisible foes make their save, they aren't revealed so if playing SCS Detect Invisibility is fantastic.

But in IWD Glitterdust all the way :)