Skip to content

Will BG/BG2/IWD-EE support steam workshop eventually ?

After BG/BG2 EE 1.3 patch had been released and IWD-EE launch smoothly , it looks like developers are getting better and better to handle their developing progress ,

I would love to buy those classic game from Beamdog directly , and actually i do ,
My concern point is if those games will support steam workshop someday ?

All of us agree workshop will let gamer install the MOD more easy and don't happen link break status normally ,
Steam Workshop should be big feature for BG/IWD/PST series ,

Should i consider buy the game and even expansion pack from steam in order to have this feature someday ?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2014
    It was something someone at Beamdog did comment on during todays twitch tv event. @Dee might be able to comment on what exactly was said about it.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    It would break compatibility with most existing mods WeiDU if you wanted to install them later, and it'll break the installed mods if stuff isn't copied and patched instead of overwriting the existing files. Modders will also have to make their mods take into account the changes done by Steamworks' mods, or even re-making their mods in that format/way to make them available through Steamworks.
    The best thing they could do is a GUI module for WeiDU, allowing people an easier alternative but without breaking compatibility with mods that are already written. Otherwise I'll have to re-write my stuff so it works on people using Steamworks (which won't happen, as with many other WeiDU mods out there, which means basically even single mod that adds new dialog/description strings to the game, or that are written in WeiDU because they wouldn't work well otherwise).
  • fearlessfearless Member Posts: 40
    edited December 2014
    I would imageine, if implementing modding support, perhaps a situation where each mod has its on chitin.key type index and its own dialog.tlk file - maybe named after the mod - mymod.key, mymod.tlk for example. Then the game engine checks for a mod folder and loads up each mod sub folder looking for the above mentioned files. Internally i dont know what would happen next to resolve resref and string refs? append in memory to existing master key and tlk adjusting for new refs or overriding specific ones to redirect to the mymod ones? im sure if they figure that part out then it probably will be fairly easy to create a mod and run a file that generates its own .key and .tlk files to be used in the game engine without overwritting the master ones.