Skip to content

DLTCEP: Complete field guide

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Is there in existance a document that details the function of very field for DLTCEP?

Cirdan

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    I don't know such a document, but dltcep is fairly easy and intuitive, I played around with it by myself and I now can edit items, areas, spells, creatures, dialogues, etc.

You need to know the opcodes, and how they work, for the effect fields of items and spells. I had a link with all the opcodes meanings for iwd and bg1-bg2 games, that's saved at my home pc. I can give you that link later tonight if no one else posts it.

Edit:Oh, here are the codes for all effects in bg:ee
    http://gemrb.org/iesdp/opcodes/bgee.htm

For example, opcode 12 is damage. Any spell that does damage has this effect. You can change the type of damage done by editing the code in the type section. For example, magic missile does magic damage which is type '4194304', you can change it to do cold damage instead, which is type '131072'. Then you can change the damage it does. There is a fixed damage column, which is 1 for magic missile, and a dice column which is 1d4, thus magic missile does 1d4+1 damage. You can change it however you like. At the bottom there is the saving throw and ignore magic resistance fields. You can put a save vs spells there, this means a save vs spells will avoid all the damage. If you want the spell to do half damage, you need to put two different but same damage codes, which are the halves of the total damage, and set one to no save, and other to save vs spells. For example, for a spell that does 2d4 damage, save for half, you need to set one damage opcode with 1d4 damage, with no save. Second damage opcode will be 1d4 too, but with a save vs spells. You can change the projectile animation, casting speed, range, spell school, level, pretty much anything and save it as a new, unique spell. You may check the fireball spells damage opcodes to see how it works.

Basically, that's how I edit things, look for the existent things that are alike what is in my mind. For example if I want to create a speed weapon that gives +1 attack, I look at the Belm+2's item file and its effects to see/understand how it works and copy it.

Editing things are fun and actually very easy!
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    If I were you, I'd forget about DLTCEP and just use Near Infinity. It is by far the best editor for these games and is still being actively worked on. There's been an update for it on an almost a weekly basis for awhile now. Nothing much is being done with DLTCEP however.
  • CirdanCirdan Member Posts: 21
    Belanos said:

If I were you, I'd forget about DLTCEP and just use Near Infinity. It is by far the best editor for these games and is still being actively worked on. There's been an update for it on an almost a weekly basis for awhile now. Nothing much is being done with DLTCEP however.

ive never used near infinity, where can I get it?
    lunar said:

I don't know such a document, but dltcep is fairly easy and intuitive, I played around with it by myself and I now can edit items, areas, spells, creatures, dialogues, etc.

You need to know the opcodes, and how they work, for the effect fields of items and spells. I had a link with all the opcodes meanings for iwd and bg1-bg2 games, that's saved at my home pc. I can give you that link later tonight if no one else posts it.

lunar, its really just trying to understand what each field does. i understand the opcodes and things like that, but I feel like my item creation skills are halted a bit because i can't find very many resources to begin to understand the deeper parts of the program.
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    edited December 2014
    @Loremaster‌ , @Belanos‌

I found nearinfinity and it gave me more problems and error codes in the first five minutes than i've ever had with DLTCEP

hmmm..... do you think near infinity would have any problems with vs. 1.3 that was just released?
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited December 2014
    Cirdan said:

hmmm..... do you think near infinity would have any problems with vs. 1.3 that was just released?

There's already been an update that includes the changes made in the 1.3 patch. It's completely up to date with all 3 EE games. There's been no updates for DLTCEP for quite some time now. There's a thread in the General Modding forum where you can get the latest release. As I mentioned, it's being updated on an almost weekly basis. A couple of times now, I hadn't even unzipped the previous version when a newer one was already available.

Here, I'll make it easy for you:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30593/new-versions-of-nearinfinity-available#latest

If you got Near Infinity from the thread that Loremaster linked to, it's possible you got an older version. The newest one might give you less trouble.