Skip to content

Who has right to make Baldur's gate 3 ???

darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
Sorry ,

i just feel curious in this question ,

Atari hold this right ??? or EA , etc ?

Does it mean anyone that has enough resource , man power and etc.. they can negotiate with above companies then start to make Baldur's gate 3??? (For instance.. Interplay just re-start Black Isle Studio = = ?)

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @darrenkuo
    well, bg is a loved series, and still a source of income. it wouldn't surprise me that after bg 1 and 2 are a success, ea pulls the rug from under beamdog, remakes ps:t and iwd 1 and 2, and bg3, and screws them all up horribly.

but i honestly don't know the politics, just some of the players, mainly who NOT to trust. :)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    One gets the impression from the devs that if the BG series EEs are successful (enough) then Beamdog will at least have a shot at making BG3.

To use the Forgotten Realms and D&D they'd have to make a deal with WotC (parent company Hasbro). As to the franchise name(s) and game(s) logos, I wonder if Overhaul/Beamdog already at least has purchased rights to use same.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Atari are the only one with right for a D&D game... But beemdog mentioned if the EE where succesful they might get the right to do BG3
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited August 2012
    yes! Beam-me-up-scottydog is the studio who should get the contract for BG3;) Well that is meant seriously, i had trust about BGEE and have it for that one too. I wonder what Otto´s part is then:D
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Talvrae said:

Atari are the only one with right for a D&D game... But beemdog mentioned if the EE where succesful they might get the right to do BG3

Right, Atari Interactive is a division of Hasbro Interactive, at least according to Wikipedia.

• RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    Talvrae said:

Yes, but my doubt is, is BG3 forced to use dnd rules? (Its not my opinion, if I could choose I would stick to 2ed or 3.5) I'am asking if there is a contract because for what I read Beamdog would prefer to do BG3 in non-dnd rules. Not sure what I think about that just saying.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Razor said:

Yes, but my doubt is, is BG3 forced to use dnd rules? (Its not my opinion, if I could choose I would stick to 2ed or 3.5) I'am asking if there is a contract because for what I read Beamdog would prefer to do BG3 in non-dnd rules. Not sure what I think about that just saying.

They could use 2nd, 3rd, 4th edition rules or totally customized, video-game only rules.

It doesn't matter.

They're still using the FORGOTTEN REALMS setting, which is of course D&D propriety.

• UnseeyingEyeUnseeyingEye Member Posts: 48
    Well I hope it isn't Atari. If I remember correctly they had a hand in the Neverwinter series. Which wasn't a bad series at all, I quite enjoyed them, but they were no Baldur's Gate, Planescape or Icewind Dale.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615

Well I hope it isn't Atari. If I remember correctly they had a hand in the Neverwinter series. Which wasn't a bad series at all, I quite enjoyed them, but they were no Baldur's Gate, Planescape or Icewind Dale.

Atari is a division of Hasbro, who owns Wizards of the Coast, who in turn owns the Forgotten Realms and the Dungeons & Dragons IP's
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited August 2012
    Securing the rights to use the D&D rules from Atari would probably be the easier part. Securing the rights to use "Baldur's Gate" as the name would be the hard part. I think Interplay (owners of the original Black Isle Studios) owns the right to the name (though not the rules) as they are the publisher of the game series, but that's just a guess.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    edited August 2012

Securing the rights to use the D&D rules from Atari would probably be the easier part. Securing the rights to use "Baldur's Gate" as the name would be the hard part. I think Interplay (owners of the original Black Isle Studios) owns the right to the name (though not the rules) as they are the publisher of the game series, but that's just a guess.

Actually Atari owns "Baldur's Gate" as well.

"In August 2008, Interplay and Atari settled a long-standing dispute, giving Atari all of Interplay's previous D&D game rights, including the Baldur's Gate license."
    ( http://www.videogamer.com/pc/baldurs_gate_2_throne_of_bhaal/news/bioware_on_not_making_baldur_s_gate_3_we_ve_no_regrets.html )
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    The new Black Isle has nothing to do with the old one. Interplay doesn't have anything to do with Baldur's Gate anymore. If Baldur's Gate 3 does get made, I doubt it'll have anything to do with the previous games except for its name.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    There is no need to secure video game rights from Atari. They lost exclusive rights a year ago.

http://company.wizards.com/content/hasbro-and-atari-resolve-dungeons-dragons-rights-dispute

Now the BG video game franchise... I'm not as certain on that one since not all of the terms of that settlement were made public. My guess is that Beamdog probably knows better than we do on that score.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    Oh man I forgot all about that lawsuit, I remember reading about it back in 2009 now that I see it again.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited August 2012
    Well there is an Atari badge on the BG:EE website so they are still involved in some manner. They may now be the owners of the name "Baldur's Gate" as a game title.