Skip to content

Speed Factor Revisited

TBH Speed Factor is a wholly unique concept for me outside of how PnP implements it, so I am trying to understand how it actually performs in BG game mechanics.

After reading several related discussions on this topic, mostly dealing with the advantage in backstabbing and spell interruption, it appears the lowest (fastest) SF is 0 and the highest (slowest) SF is 10. Consequently, that means there are 11 distinct SF ratings possible. Then, since the length of a round is 6 secs, and assuming a hit is actually registered in the attack, it follows that SF0 will hit immediately (begin round), SF1 will hit at 0.6 sec into round, SF2 will hit at 1.2 sec into round... and so forth. The only non-fractional values occur at SF0 (0 sec), SF5 (3 sec) and SF10 (6 sec).

So, my question is: Does the game engine round up or round down or truncate all the fractional time values or does it keep track with, say, a tenth's or hundredth's of a sec timer and use the fractions "as is" during attack calculations? I'm suspicious that two SF ratings may perform identically, like SF6 (3.6 sec into round) and SF7 (4.2 sec into round), in reality, by internally applying rounding or truncating.

It's just about impossible for me to test this since the rolls are still random and would take forever to set up a controlled environment to gather an adequate sample.

Any insight into how exactly the Speed Factor is implemented by the game engine?

TIA for any clarification on this, folks.

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Good topic, keep me posted if you learn anything new!