Skip to content

Solo Fighter Mage Thief

I've just finished SoA and ToB solo with my fmt. I was wondering if anyone else had done i. Been looking for different stuff to try out. I have all the named items, all the craftables from both games have been made, watchers keep finished. What do you guys use for your setups? I currently use Equalizer and the black sword from the end of SoA(can't remember the name). Sylvan Chain Mail +3, ring of Gax, Ion stone that gives 15 he and 2 armor class, Gauntlets that give +1 thaco, daystar second mainland slot (for sunray), ring of wizardry.

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Why not the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Weapon Expertise from Watchers Keep?

I went the 2 handed route with my FMT so ended up with Carsomyr, Staff of the Magi and Staff of the Ram as my main weapons. I ran the fmt in a party though.

I soloed with a swashbuckler 26/cleric 27 until partway through SoA but got bored after I capped xp, the excitement was completing the dual rather than actually playing the finished character (bar a few items).

I'd recommend Blackrazor mainhand, Scarlet Ninja-To offhand and then spam the critical HLA while under improved haste and mislead, should be effective.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I've only beaten BG1 with mine, but I *plan* to use the Robe of Vecna as my armor (casting time is more valuable than AC, imo) and Foebane as my mainhand (plus Scarlet Ninja-to offhand, of course). With Daystar as an alternate for backstabs and undead killing. I'm still deciding on ring and cloak slots, though. The Ring of Gaxx is definitely getting one slot, but I'm trying to decide between a Ring of Protection +3/Cloak of the Sewers combo or a Ring of Wizardry/Improved Cloak of Protection +2 combo.
  • KesseranKesseran Member Posts: 18
    @Jarrakul‌ My setup revolves around buffing and trying not to take damage to keep my stoneskin/mirror image/improved mantle up as long as possible. Pretty much everything in the game is insanely easy to solo for me because of my 25 in each stat (imported character from bg1 with tomes) and all 3 classes level 30 (import to IWDEE to cap out). So casting speed with a amulet of power is fast enough that I don't have to worry.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Sounds way too easy (boring). A level 1 FMT solo is already quite easy.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Kesseran said:

I've just finished SoA and ToB solo with my fmt. I was wondering if anyone else had done i

This was the preferred class used by those who pioneered the solo playthroughs.
    You can safely assume that thousands of players did it.
    Sorry, I'm an android player. Safe to assume not many people have done it on Android. Working on my pally solo now.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    The only class I have not yet played in a solo run is the Druid… and only because I've never, ever, in all my life, not even in IwD, created a Druid PC.
    I think the hardest would be rogue, just because they have no buffs, no ac and can't hide in shadows during a fight. I could be mistaken but with 150 points in each rogue skill I still can't hide in combat without my invis spell or pot.
    Well, swashbucklers have an AC bonus.
    I am sure you will enjoy a solo assassin game. The weapon poisonning is all mighty in the EE edition (a change that I really consider a bad design decision).
    Thieves also benefit from the cheesiest of all features : Use Any Item, allowing them to emulate many other classes.
    Enjoy !
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2014
    Kesseran said:

I think the hardest would be rogue, just because they have no buffs, no ac and can't hide in shadows during a fight. I could be mistaken but with 150 points in each rogue skill I still can't hide in combat without my invis spell or pot.

My first solo run was a Swashbuckler with badly distributed attributes, and anyway I managed to complete the game fairly easily (and I mean the WHOLE game, I've even killed Aec'Letec and the Karoug).
    Edit: I dual-classed to Mage in BG2 and by Chapter 2 I had around 4.5M XP, and then quitted after killing Yaga-Shura (ToB is boring, and I didn't yet use Ascension and Wheels of Prophecy back then).
    Musigny said:

Well, swashbucklers have an AC bonus.
    I am sure you will enjoy a solo assassin game. The weapon poisonning is all mighty in the EE edition (a change that I really consider a bad design decision).
    Thieves also benefit from the cheesiest of all features : Use Any Item, allowing them to emulate many other classes.
    Enjoy !

The Assassin's Poison Weapon ability behaves like in vanilla BG2.
    Also using Potions/Wands/Scrolls helps a lot with solo'ing Thieves.
    edited December 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

The Assassin's Poison Weapon ability behaves like in vanilla BG2.

@CrevsDaak‌
    No, it penetrates stoneskin and mirror image for instance - unless they reverted the change in 1.3.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    The thing to understand is that playing solo is actually easier than playing in group:
    - you get xp much faster (especially powerful in SOA where you can reach HLA very early)
    - much easier to control, no clumsy party members getting you killed
    - all your ressource get to 1 character. This means that you will always get top equipment and that, using potions or scrolls you can basically get the right immunity for every fight

You can solo (no reload) with every class (some may require some cheese).

The easiest (excluding multis and duals) IMO are:

Arcane casters: Use wands in BGEE. In BG2EE, you will reach high level spells very early which allow for some ridiculous combos.

Thieves (especially swashbuckler). In BGEE just skip most fights using HIS and for the few ones which are mandatory, use 10 potions to buff beforehand
    Once you get HLA, use any item and HLA traps will take care of anything

Divine casters and warriors types have it a little bit harder but it's still very doable