Skip to content

#11100 Party members should not be baulked by other party members when attacking enemies

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
edited December 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
I forced the gameplay for a while but it's a persistent issue, so i can only label this as an bug.

The path schedule has been changed in v1.3 as stated before, the NPCs now wait when their path is blocked instead of instantly calculate another path, which sometimes lead to stupid decisions as turn around an entire map to reach a place 3 steps distant just because someone was in the path in the instant that NPC tried to pass.

Ok, this change is good, but what isn't good is:

in fights sometimes, when one of my NPCs is attacking an enemy, they block the direct path for that enemy to another of my NPCs that target that enemy, instead of doing a single step to the side, now my NPCs (and main char) wait forever the attacking NPC move (what must be done manually) to attack that target.

What i mean is, if one of my NPCs choose a target, he will walk to that target in directly line, if he had to move a single step to the left or right to reach that target, he will wait forever until i manually move him one step to the left or to the right or if i move the other character in front of him so he can reach his target in directly line.

While the old script was sometime dumb, this new script in overhaul is worst than the previous.

Current Behavior: NPC wait forever to reach a target if anything is in his path.

Expected Behavior: NPC shoudn't calculate stupid routes to reach his target, but should change them when the obstacle clearly isn't temporary.

I researched in BG2 V1.3 bugs and surely this issue don't have a report yet.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Do you have a good save to demonstrate this with please @kamuizin‌
    Thanks
    (I tried a couple with no joy, but appreciate it is happening so would help me if you could supply one)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Gonna create a new game to test it, it's no happening anymore outside irenicus dungeon, gonna update this thread as soon i got a save with the issue.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    1) Load attached save.
    2) Have characters move north-east along the path. There should be two wolves you encounter.
    3) Have characters attack the wolves (in my case party AI was on so they did this automatically)
    4) Notice how one of the characters (Siona in this case) stands behind the other characters and doesn't move, even though their weapon has a range that is too short to hit the enemy they are trying to attack.

Additional Information: (Screenshot)

In the following screenshot Siona (blue circle) is unable to attack the wolves. She sits there twitching around as though she is trying to get to the enemies (but she isn't making it).

• dibdib Member Posts: 384
    I've had this problem many times too, especially when having summons with large selection circles (i.e. earth elemental). But I think it only shows up when characters act through their script. Turning off AI and manually telling character to attack a target worked for me.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    @kamuizin‌ @elminster‌ @dib‌
    Tagged, thanks for your help here.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    thx @elminster!
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited December 2015
    Ive observed this bug multiple times as well... this is a pretty serious bug imo, not something that should be low priority (assuming the level c designation means it's considered low level)

I hate to sound critical but vanilla bg2's pathfinding was fine for the most part; seems like EE 1.3 patch's attempts to improve it to appease folks who are unaware of/unwilling to use shift+mouseclick for long distance movement made things significantly worse.
    Post edited by ithildurnew on
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Ah, I missed this report first time around.

For the record: the same thing also happens frequently in BG1ee.