Skip to content

Character build viable for the whole series (multi-class)?

NalimNalim Member Posts: 19
Hi guys,

since release day draws nearer and nearer I'm thinking about what kind of character I should play. Since my original BG II walkthrough was with a sorcerer, I want to try something different this time.

My choice would be a dual-wielding half-orc fighter / thief. However, I wonder whether or not this build is viable for the TOB endgame. Therefore, some questions: Since xp is split in half, I assume my max level will be something like 24/28 (instead of 40 for either of the single classes).

As far as I remember, THAC0 maxes at level 20 for fighters, so I should not lose any hitting ability (I will get the max hit chance later in the game, though).
Additionally, I will get less epic powers (10 as opposed to 21 for pure fighters or 17 for pure rogues). This should be enough though, I just would need to rest more often.
What I'll lose, though, is some hit points - I guess I'll get about 40 less than a pure fighter, but still more than a pure rogue.

If this is what I have to trade in for multi classing prowess, I'm fine with it. I just wanted to check if I missed something - I don't want to find out I screwed the char after 100 hours of gameplay ;).

And on a side-note: Can I dual class Imoen into a mage right after I get her in BG 1 - never tried that, but since I'm no magic user this time it seems desirable?

So, any thoughts?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Do you mean viable as in if you'll still be able to complete the game? If so the answer is definitely yes. If you aren't intent on soloing, pretty much every combination is viable, so just go with what you feel like playing.

As for dual classing Imoen, I believe you can do it as soon as you hit level 2 with her.
  • NalimNalim Member Posts: 19
    Shin, thanks for your answer.

Basically, I wanted to know whether there are any drawbacks in this build I didn't think of. I'm quite sure I could finish the game with an 8-8-8-8-8-8 gimp since the party members are quite powerful - but since I'm the friggin bhaalspawn I want to outperform my fellow party members ^^.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    There are very few drawbacks to this character. This build is more than good enough to solo.

You don't need many of the epic powers to beat ToB...most epic powers are insanely good, so don't worry about many of them. The additional levels can quickly be made up by some solo XPing. Lay traps, rest, repeat. The extra HP is noticeable, but the extra damage you do is more than worth it.

Recommendation: Take Two-handed Sword + Two-handed Weapon Style at later levels. Combined with Use Any Item, this will allow you to devastate with the Carsomyr at later levels and is a nice compliment to dual wield.
  • NalimNalim Member Posts: 19
    Thanks - seems I'm ready for release day, then :)