Skip to content

So, will the new characters effect Shadows of Amn? What about Throne of Bhaal?

Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
This seems like some hazy, overly-speculative ground. But, anyway--thoughts?

The original Baldur's Gate didn't have too much character-oriented content (barely any, come to think of it). This means, I think, that even with the bare minimum of addition, the EE's new characters will feel more or less congruous with the original characters.

Which is all well and good. But then we get to Shadows of Amn.

Shadows of Amn had a -lot- of character-specific content. From unique dialog woven into the main quest (and sub-quests) to character-quests. There was a ton. Will the EE newbies enjoy similar prominence in the narrative of BG2? Or will they all die off in that "BG1-to-BG2 transition" content we were told about way back when?

Of course, then we get to the conclusion of the trilogy. Throne of Bhaal was more like BG1 than BG2, in that it was more focused, with an equal lack of character-specific content. Might all this work on an enhanced edition result in a Throne of Bhaal where we can go on extra quests with Minsc and Jaheria? Or proceed further along in our romance with Viconia?

After all these years, I'm still a bit sore I didn't get to play through some of that stuff the ToB epilog hinted at. I'd love to see some of that implemented in the game... or, yet again, will people tell me I'm asking too much?

Comments

• mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    In respect of Throne of Bhaal, it would be good to at least see the additional roleplaying elements introduced by David Gaider's Ascension Mod included (as for the tougher battles contained in the mod, personally I like those too, but perhaps they would be better off being optional). Gaider's mod is kind of semi-official (he worked on Throne of Bhaal and the Ascension Mod does introduce some elements that were intended to be in the game).

I'm guessing this can't be done even if the developers were inclined to do so, since it would not be compatible with the contract restrictions they are under in respect of changing original story content.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Fingers crossed for "Ascension". :)

Generally speaking, it seems likely that Dorn, at the very least, has some connection to Gromnir il-Khan, which you can only explore if you take him to Saradush - extrapolating from that, I'd guess that Neera and Rasaad will have similar storylines tying into the events of BG2 and ToB. (And, like Jaheira, Minsc and the other BG1 returnees, it's quite possible their BG2 arcs will follow up in some capacity on what happens to them in BG1).
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Well the "old" characters can't be changed or have content added that involves them exclusively, but they can be involved in anything new; quests, areas and even banter with the new guys (if I understand things correctly) and as for the "new" guys, the sky's the limit. I think it's reasonable to expect them having equal or superior writing to the old cast, at least in the first game where banter/interjections/romance is at a minimum.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130

Well the "old" characters can't be changed or have content added that involves them exclusively, but they can be involved in anything new; quests, areas and even banter with the new guys (if I understand things correctly) and as for the "new" guys, the sky's the limit

I was wondering about that point. Do those restrictions apply only for BGEE? Or does the addition of BG2EE open the way for new contract conditions about adding things for old NPCs? Ive been kinda crossing my fingers that it being a different game would mean they could have more opportunities for that sort of thing.

Id love to see some more character focus around the other NPCs especially in ToB. It was a shame that only the romantic interests (and Imoen in the Ascension Mod) get any real attention during the expansion.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

I was wondering about that point. Do those restrictions apply only for BGEE? Or does the addition of BG2EE open the way for new contract conditions about adding things for old NPCs? Ive been kinda crossing my fingers that it being a different game would mean they could have more opportunities for that sort of thing.

Id love to see some more character focus around the other NPCs especially in ToB. It was a shame that only the romantic interests (and Imoen in the Ascension Mod) get any real attention during the expansion.

Hmm. Well, have to guess based on this statement
    No contract exists for a remake of Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II or Planescape: Torment as of now.
    which makes it seem like they allready have the contract for BG2:EE since it's not mentioned in there. Seems likely they'd get similar restrictions even if they didn't allready have a contract for the rights there though.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    I guess by that logic, if they were to make a BG3, then they would have to strip all of the characters from the previous games, as that would still be building upon the same work? Not that I consider the idea of a new story being told with BG3 toxic or anything, but it would be nice for any sequel to kind of play into the established epilogue of the main cast. Maybe its a little too early for fan speculation about BG3 tho? :3

I sure am hoping thats the case, cause the 2nd game is really when it becomes driven by the party dynamics and such. Perhaps the success of BGEE would give more confidence in what Beamdog can do to allow a loosening on the rules behind changing old content?