Skip to content

Upgrade FOA?

So, I believe that the Flail of Ages has a status effect that prevents the wielder being affected by things that affect their speed.

Does this prevent them being buffed with (improved) haste? Does that therefore make it a bad idea to upgrade the flail? Or would you expect to have a stack of GWWs to use instead by this point? Does the calculation work the same whether you are a fighter, multi or dual? Is this different in any of the various versions of BG (vanilla, BGT, EE)?

Comments

• YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Yeah, it blocks all speed-affecting spells but abilities such as GWW are not affected. And I think Free Action has always worked like that.

FoA is OP enough as it is, so I wouldn't change that. The no saving throw slow effect on enemies is devastating and it deals massive ele dmg on opponents.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    So, is it a good or bad idea to upgrade given that you can't use IH, or is the loss of that worth it as you'll have GWWs? Better to leave it at +3 or +4?
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    You'll be able to upgrade it very late in the game, so you'll probably have plenty of GWW. I always upgrade it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2014
    Honestly I wouldn't worry too much either way about its damage unless you are playing with something like Nightmare Mode on (where enemies have much more than their normal amount of health) or some other difficulty mod. Its not inconceivable for you to be doing 200 damage/round with it either way. Personally I would make the decision more based on convenience than anything (which in my case would be leaning towards keeping it as a +4 weapon).
    Post edited by elminster on
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Yeah, you need Cespenar to upgrade it anyway, Cromwell can't do it. So you'll be in ToB before you can get it to +4 or +5.

If you have a warrior class wield it(ranger, fighter, paladin, barbarian), I'd go with +5. For cleric's I would recommend keeping it at +4. If you have both heads, just drop the other one on the floor when you upgrade.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Note that you can switch to another weapon, cast Improved Haste, and switch back, keeping the higher attacks per round (but not the move speed). Also note that this is *probably* not the intended behavior, so it may be changed at some point.