Skip to content

Custom portraits issue with windows 8

Hey guys, I am a big fan of using custom portraits and have done so on many different windows 7 computers. I follow the same process with my new computer(windows 8) without the portraits showing up. Does anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Let me guess, do you have the game installed in one of your Program Files folders?
  • DartoneDartone Member Posts: 7
    Yes indeed I do; are you a psychic or have you had this problem as well?
    jackjack
  • DartoneDartone Member Posts: 7
    lol
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Dartone, the usual solution is to install games in a folder you create and to keep them out of Program Files (x86). This was also a problem in Windows7.

However, if you don't want to fool with that, you can turn off "User Account Controls", which you should be able to find through the Control Panel. (Assuming you have your Windows 8 configured to the "classic" setup. I'm clinging to my WIndows 7 for dear life.)

It's the UAC feature that causes the problem with modded game files refusing to show up or work from within Program Files (x86).
    jackjack
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Dartone said:

Yes indeed I do; are you a psychic or have you had this problem as well?

No I'm not psychic, I just understand how those folders work. Because of the security features in place, Windows will place any sort of files it feels are the least bit suspicious into a virtual folder, rather than the actual Program Files folder itself. If a game is not set up to consider that virtual folder and look there for a file as well, it won't find what you've added to the game. And while turning off UAC will help, it's not a firm guarantee that nothing will screw up using those folders, as there are still security systems at work other than just that one. For any game that allows for the use of mods, it's a good idea to install them outside of Program Files, otherwise you might run into problems like you're having now.