Skip to content

A rather odd bug I can't seem to recreate....

Only reason I haven't put this in the bug section is because I can't seem to recreate it, like I say in the topic title. But this is so fascinating to me that I have to explain it.

So I make a half-elf blade character with 16 Con, 18 strength and 18 dex, do the quests around Candlekeep, whatever, and as I leave Candlekeep and get confronted during by Sarevok, when the bandit with the fire arrows is scripted to hit you... he killed me. I got a game-over and everything.

Now, this never happened to me ever before, so I had to naturally (and immediately) check and see if this would happen again. It didn't.

Now, I have to ask: Has this *ever* happened to anyone before? I'm just kind of baffled that CHARNAME's destiny could be ended by Sarevok the very night he ambushes you.

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    I've always wanted that to happen, but no, I've never experienced that. Interesting.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited January 2015
    I think the enhanced edition puts a minhp1 item to pc at that cut scene, so he gets wounded but survives the arrows, his hp never drops below one, and he is healed afterwards the cutscene. I remember faintly that I had an amulet equipped, it was swapped to my inventory after the ambush, so I guess the game puts the minhp1 item to your amulet slot. In the version I used to play, anyways. (after bg2:ee release I hardly play bg1:ee nowadays) If this was prevented somehow, you could have died.
  • psyactpsyact Member Posts: 81
    It happened to me exactly once as well, and I'm pretty sure it was in BG:EE (although it was a very long time ago).

I could never recreate it either, but I thought it was hilarious when it happened.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Never happened to me. And it's not like I haven't restarted the game dozens and dozens of times.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Yes, the cutscene equips an amulet that removes the PC's feet circle, makes invisible and protects the player from death. It gets removed after the cutscene. This was done because in the new cutscene all the action is real - real spells, real arrows - for more realism. Gorion can sometimes fail a spell, or Tamoko can sometimes make a save, etc.

You shouldn't have anything in your amulet slot - there are none in candlekeep, heh. But an imported character might which is why the slot contents gets moved to inventory. I saw this happen once also when I created the cutscene, but never again. I suppose with real damaging arrows flying around it's *possible* that the amulet doesn't get equipped fast enough before an arrow hits you in some very rare cases, but that doesn't seem likely considering the action is still all scripted in a certain order.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    If it's all real action, does that mean Gorion might sometimes win? It would only take a few natural 20s...
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    pixie359 said:

If it's all real action, does that mean Gorion might sometimes win? It would only take a few natural 20s...

I'm always rooting for Gorion, but he keeps dying every time.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Cuv said:

Yes, the cutscene equips an amulet that removes the PC's feet circle, makes invisible and protects the player from death. It gets removed after the cutscene. This was done because in the new cutscene all the action is real - real spells, real arrows - for more realism. Gorion can sometimes fail a spell, or Tamoko can sometimes make a save, etc.

You shouldn't have anything in your amulet slot - there are none in candlekeep, heh. But an imported character might which is why the slot contents gets moved to inventory. I saw this happen once also when I created the cutscene, but never again. I suppose with real damaging arrows flying around it's *possible* that the amulet doesn't get equipped fast enough before an arrow hits you in some very rare cases, but that doesn't seem likely considering the action is still all scripted in a certain order.

Yeah in my experience I had a custom made amulet for my charname. It gives +1 spell slot for 1st lvl spells, nothing grossly overpowered as Edwin's. After the cutscene it was unequipped and replaced into my inventory and I thought, that's how the game works behind the scenes, that's why I created this hypothesis, and seems I was right. :-)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    pixie359 said:

No, because the cutscene's scripted to kill Gorion and to make Sarevok swing his arm besides playing some nifty animation over Gorion. In vBG1 you could get Gorion to kill Sarevok, and then the game failed to remove the already-dead Sarevok actor and crashed ;p