Skip to content

Ranger Cleric

MestarMestar Member Posts: 78
Hello all,

I'm a big fan of using Shadow Keeper to modify characters to play interesting concepts. My "custom builds" (i.e. Dragon Disciple Fighter hybrid) tend to be more powerful than I plan and so I thought of making some Multiclass combos and adding a Kit.

So I made myself a halfling Cleric/Ranger (Archer kit) and used Shadow Keeper to make adjustments that didn't work right. In this situation, after making her a Cleric/Ranger, I used Shadow Keeper to reset the Ranger level to 0, applied Archer kit and went from there. Luckily the only thing I've needed to edit has been Proficiencies. And that has been to place the 3rd, 4th, and 5th blip into Slings (Halfling Ranger (Archer) using slings makes too much sense not to feel bad about this edit). I also changed her alignment to Chaotic Neutral because I feel its the best alignment to be a completionist. Good and Evil characters can't really justify picking up some quests.

I played through the game normally and it was pretty nice having a tanky gal that was good with a sling and war hammer. Then I used her through the Black Pits and exported her for a 2nd play through to see how her damage potential looks. Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed.

I'm just waiting for BG2:EE 1.3 to hit the Apple Store to continue on and I was wondering if this build might be a little too powerful? Any thoughts?

Screen shot is what she looks like with good gear from Black Pits and BGEE (still working on the +3 sling, only have a +1 Sling with +1 bullets right now). 2.5 Attacks per round without haste. Only used 1 of each tome.

Post edited by Mestar on

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Well, archers aren't supposed to have GM in slings, only bows. Otherwise I don't see a problem with halfling cleric/archer.
  • MestarMestar Member Posts: 78
    Yeah, it makes so much more sense with a sling, since it's the halflings favored weapon.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    1.3 is out for BG2:EE on the app store now, unless I downloaded a lie.

Apart from that, I think it's a really nifty idea that's no more overpowered than a normal cleric/ranger. I mean, have you ever played a cleric ranger? They're amazing. If anything, being a halfling nerfs you more than anything else would. An elven Cleric/Ranger would be just as overpowered, except it doesn't sacrifice any strength, nor does it sacrifice the wisdom. I mean, sure, you get bonuses from the archer kit when it comes to ranged attacks, and you get the halfling bonus for slings, but that's not a lot.

TL;DR: 1.3's out. Cool idea. I don't think it's overpowered. Have fun.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    @Elrandir‌ huhh? I can't find 1.3 update of bg2 on appstore, are you sure it is out?

Her race or illegal multi class kit and sling grand mastery do not bother me much, but does she have to be chaotic neutral? :-D
    Wait... Is it not? I could have sworn I downloaded it, but it appears that it's still v1.2, which makes sense, since I've not heard of any announcement for the release... But then what did I download? 0_o It sure as he** wasn't BG1 v1.3, since I refuse to install that one... I have no idea.
  • MestarMestar Member Posts: 78
    Elrandir said:

Wait... Is it not? I could have sworn I downloaded it, but it appears that it's still v1.2, which makes sense, since I've not heard of any announcement for the release... But then what did I download? 0_o It sure as he** wasn't BG1 v1.3, since I refuse to install that one... I have no idea.

Not yet, I was watching it like a hawk up to the 22nd and started again on the 29th. No changes yet.

Oh. So I realized my derp. 1.3 is out, but not on the app store. I'm a doofus.