Skip to content

[Dead] short sword +2

MaxxximusMaxxximus Member Posts: 322
edited January 2015 in Feature Requests
short sword+2
Post edited by Maxxximus on

Comments

• SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    You pay for the lore behind the weapon; the story adds value.

Also, considering the story, Deafness is not particulary fitting for it.
  • MaxxximusMaxxximus Member Posts: 322
    The term "short sword" does not exist in sword classifications, but has come describe the earliest type of sword, a double-edged blade about two feet in length. There are etched runes on the surface of this weapon that glow during combat, indicating it has undergone some form of enchantment, but no identifying marks can be recognized.
    Yeah great story
    edited January 2015
    That's for a generic magical short sword...

This is what I see for The Whistling Sword:

The Whistling Sword
    Amidst the plains of the Eastern Shaar there lived a small human blacksmith, whose nearly dwarven height did not do his soul justice. Though a skilled weaponsmith, his true gift was his ability to whistle a heartfelt song that could cause a grown man to cry like a newborn. Only a reclusive Mage shared and enjoyed time with the diminutive man, however, as others could only see his small size as a source of amusement. Deaf to the smith's song because of their own prejudices, their ridicule slowly grew into cruel torment which eventually persuaded the light-hearted man to leave his home forever. Before he left he forged this weapon as a gift for his one friend, who also enchanted it during the making. Thus the blade sweetly whistles to its wielder when unsheathed. It was not long after that the Mage also deserted the small town in disgust, taking the sword with him on his journeys.

So, yes, I agree, it is a great story.

Edit:
    I think I see the problem here. It appears that the BG2EE version is missing the description it had in BGEE, which is clearly an oversight. On the other hand, I can't remember actually finding the sword in BG2, so I'm not entirely sure it can be obtained without using the console.
    Post edited by Sertorius on
    edited January 2015
    Sertorius said:

That's for a generic magical short sword...

This is what I see for The Whistling Sword:

The Whistling Sword
    Amidst the plains of the Eastern Shaar there lived a small human blacksmith, whose nearly dwarven height did not do his soul justice. Though a skilled weaponsmith, his true gift was his ability to whistle a heartfelt song that could cause a grown man to cry like a newborn. Only a reclusive Mage shared and enjoyed time with the diminutive man, however, as others could only see his small size as a source of amusement. Deaf to the smith's song because of their own prejudices, their ridicule slowly grew into cruel torment which eventually persuaded the light-hearted man to leave his home forever. Before he left he forged this weapon as a gift for his one friend, who also enchanted it during the making. Thus the blade sweetly whistles to its wielder when unsheathed. It was not long after that the Mage also deserted the small town in disgust, taking the sword with him on his journeys.

So, yes, I agree, it is a great story.

Edit:
    I think I see the problem here. It appears that the BG2EE version is missing the description it had in BGEE, which is clearly an oversight. On the other hand, I can't remember actually finding the sword in BG2, so I'm not entirely sure it can be obtained without using the console.

Yeah maybe it was placed in adventure mart by mistake.
    Or it's just a reference to bg1, who knows.
    Well, whatever it is, it should be pretty easy for the devs to fix the description, so I'll just report it in the bugs forum.
    Sertorius said:

Well, whatever it is, it should be pretty easy for the devs to fix the description, so I'll just report it in the bugs forum.

As u wish :wink: