Skip to content

Interesting, fun 4 person party.

So I had to do a factory reset on my Galaxy Tab S. Was about to fire up my standard 4 person party - shapeshifter druid, dragon disciple, undead hunter, and shadowdancer, and thought I might as well do something different. What are your recommendations for a fun 4 person party that is still doable by the definitive unskilled gamer? For comparison, all 3 games are plenty difficult for me on core difficulty.

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    That's a good party. I would replace the Shadowdancer with a Fighter/Thief for a bit more melee power but I understand it might not have the same flavour.
  • superliminaldudesuperliminaldude Member Posts: 27
    -I'd switch in a trueclass druid for the shapeshifter. That way you get armor and the Icewind Dale shapeshifts, which can be pretty powerful.
    -Get a bard in there! Either a trueclass or Skald. You don't really need a full time mage, and the bard will get plenty of spells.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited January 2015
    Although the Dragon Disciple might mean more firepower without needing any scrolls or figuring out what spells to prepare.

The Bard is great, but it's better used as support for an already well-rounded party than covering for some other class.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Cool thread!
    Now I'm getting the itch to run my old Eye of the Beholder party:
    Dwarven Fighter (maybe Dwarven Defender?)
    Dwarven Fighter/Thief
    Human Cleric (kit?)
    Elven Mage (Diviner? Maybe Sorcerer is better?)
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Our 4 person party was:
    Blackguard
    Blade
    Avenger
    Assassin -> Mage

Overall I'd ditch the Blade and, for a rockin' time, suggest instead:

Cavalier
    Archer
    Avenger
    Elf Mage/Thief
  • harperfan7harperfan7 Member Posts: 30
    Half-elf bard (the first and last bard songs are pretty sweet, having a high lore is pretty useful, as is pickpocket; they are also basically mages who can wear armor when not casting spells)
    -war chant of the sith, now that I've tasted it, I can't live without it

Gnome Fighter/Thief, 18/?? str, 18 dex, 18 con, dual-wielding, 3E sneak attack, helm of the trusted defender
    -dual weapon backstab on every attack? yup.
    -you'll have the four main thief skills maxed by about level 10

Halforc Beserker, 19 Str & con, grandmastery in axes, your choice of two-handed, sword & shield, or dual-wielding
    -two handed or sword & shield lets you use that nice returning throwing axe, but dual-wielding nets you the highest damage
    (dwarven defender wouldn't be bad either)

half-elf cleric/ranger
    -skeletal undead favorite enemy, free dual-wielding, ranger spells after a while, stealth

you don't really *need* a healer, though
    once you get war chant of the sith, you'll heal for free

in my current 6-member run (which contains a cleric/ranger and an undead hunter), I've got over 20 regular healing potions, like 18 antidotes, 7 mummy's teas, 8 potions of extra healing, several scrolls of healing, and a few other miscellaneous healing items, that I haven't used. I've never paid for healing spells from an npc priest. You just don't really need a healer.

So, this last slot could be whatever you wanted. Elf Archer is always a good choice. Or you could get both a halforc beserker AND a dwarven defender (one with sword & shield, the other with dual-wielding). There's more than enough axes to go around. Whatever you want, really.
    @harperfan7‌
    Consider changing your Half-Orc to a Barbarian—the winded downside of Berserkers is problematic in a game that simply unleashes mob after mob of enemies on you, and RP-wise, Half-Orc Barbarians fit so well into the setting! You'll appreciate the extra speed and damage resistance as well.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @jackjack @‌harperfan7 barb might be best of both worlds ;)

Also, sneak attack only works once per target.

Also, sneak attack only works once per target.

Unless the target is a Barbarian, hehe.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited January 2015
    I meant to say a dwarf barbarian is the best of both worlds (DD vs Berserker). And yeah, they're immune to enemy backstabs/sneak attacks. The sneak attack remark was regarding this

Gnome Fighter/Thief, 18/?? str, 18 dex, 18 con, dual-wielding, 3E sneak attack, helm of the trusted defender
    -dual weapon backstab on every attack? yup.

Unfortunately, nope.

I was devastated by the same revelation. Here's the fix BTW
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/38227/3e-sneak-attack-only-working-once-per-target#latest
  • harperfan7harperfan7 Member Posts: 30
    Eh, barbarian has some nice perks, but I'll take my full-plate and grandmastery berserker.