Skip to content

Monk Viability in BG2 and ToB

Howdy!

I managed to nuture my Monk to level 13 in BG1, and now I'd like start BG2 and continue into ToB with him. What would be some major advantages and pitfalls that I should take into consideration?

Could a high-level Monk actually, for example, take on Demogorgon? Can Demogorgon even be hit with +4 Gauntlets of Crushing?

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Monks are great in higher levels.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Well you are already level 13. Basically the hard part is out of the way at this point.

Yes a high level monk could take on Demogorgon.
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    edited January 2015
    Iirc, the gauntlets of crushing do not count towards what you can hit, only levels do.
    Lvl9 +1
    Lvl12 +2
    Lvl18 +3
    Lvl25 +4

So you'd need lvl25 (3,825,000xp) to hit Demogorgon since he's immune to all weapons up to +3.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    They are monstrously effective in BG2/ToB.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Monks may not be the BEST class, but they are certainly capable of dealing a lot of damage and being quite resilient at higher levels. Particularly now that they can actually use things like the Scarlet Ninja-to properly.

Unless your game is heavily modded for difficulty, you should be able to pretty much punch everything there is into the next millennium, and then some.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    edited January 2015
    Honestly, imo monks are one the best classes in the game. Particularly end game monks are so much fun to play! Equip them with a strenght-belt, Gauntlets of Crushing and take MR beyond 100(Ring of Gaxx and Amulet of the Seldarine come to mind) and you can kill almost anything. Monks also get awesome saving throws, AC and Thac0, probably better than any of your other fighters. They also level up fast.

I didn't think much of monks before I actually tried one. Most fun I had in a while.