Skip to content

#16035 - Yeslick's Dispel Magic ability should dispel based on caster level

HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
edited August 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
In vanilla BG2 and the Enhanced Editions, the success of a Dispel Magic spell depends on the level of the caster. From the spell description:

"The chance of the dispel succeeding is determined by the level of the caster and the level of the magic being dispelled."

However, Yeslick's Dispel Magic ability (SPIN112.spl) still uses the old BG1 behavior. That means his dispel is always successful, regardless of Yeslick's level. This is because the dispel effect in SPIN112.spl is set to dispel type 0 (always dispel). His ability should instead work like a normal Dispel Magic spell, i.e. the success should depend on caster level.

If you want to test this in-game, do the following:

1. Load the attached save.
2. Let Abdel attack Firebead Elvenhair once so he becomes hostile.
3. Firebead Elvenhair (level 11) casts Horror on Abdel.
4. If Abdel fails his saving throw, he is panicked.
5. Let Yeslick (level 2/3) cast his innate Dispel Magic on Abdel.

Observed: Yeslick successfully dispels Abdel's panic every time.
Expected: Yeslick should not be able to dispel Abdel's panic.
Post edited by Hurricane on

Comments

• thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited August 2015
    I guess my personal opinion is that his Dispel Magic ability, being an ability and not a traditionally casted spell from the spellbook, works fine as is in this regard. Otherwise, why not nerf the Inquisitor's Dispel Magic ability when it's essentially a much similar ability to Yeslick? (in that it's much better than the base spell is) Maybe it wasn't ever intended for his ability to be that much better than the base spell being used by other casters, but an Inquisitor got introduced when kits were introduced so I think the old idea of how the spells were balanced isn't really the same anymore as it was then (since all Dispel Magics being good made the spell itself more potent back then, but a multiclass Fighter/Cleric wouldn't be able to Dispel much at their base level so that needs to be taken into account). At least it makes his ability worthwhile to either remain as is or have it function similar to the Inquisitor's Dispel Magic ability, where maybe it operates at 2x Yeslick's Cleric level or some other equation.

Cus he's a Fighter/Cleric though his casting level wouldn't ever get too high so the amount things he'd be able to dispel with the level cap would naturally, limit his ability that was useful in the original but now isn't so much especially by the time you get him.
    Post edited by thelovebat on