Skip to content

Haste (and Oil of Speed) + Dual Wield Bugged

rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
I tested this with and without True Grandmastery. The same problem occurs in both BGII:EE and BG:EE. Tested with Warrior (Berserk Kit) at lvl 7 and (And whatever level a new character starts with in TOB)

Hasting a character dual wielding actually reduces your main hand attacks by 1. The character sheet reports the correct number of attacks, (4 Attacks per round, with a level 7 dual wield warrior.), but looking at the combat log, your main hand attacks are actually reduced by 1, (so you attack Main-hand / Off hand / Main hand / Off hand/)

I haven't timed it to see if you actually get a total of 4 attacks in a round, but based on the significantly decreased combat effectiveness against Battle Horrors, I would say not.

The situation is actually worse if you try a weapon you are not proficient with in your main hand. then you can get 2 off-hand attacks for every one in the main hand.

Edit: I guess this means Drizzt had it right. Trying to increase th speed of attacks of an skilled dual-wielder is counter productive :)

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2015
    A combat round gets split into two when Haste is in effect (as far as your own attacks are concerned anyways), which means that you'll instead get 2 attacks per round from your offhand weapon. So any extra attack you get from the regular Haste spell is effectively given to your offhand weapon.
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    edited January 2015
    I was just going to post that I do indeed get the full advertised 4 attacks per round, it's just the distribution of main hand and off hand attacks that gets oddly modified. But at least you aren't penalized in any way.

Edit: Gah, I'm being rude, Thank you Elminster for the explanation. That's a really good footnote to know. (So, if you're fighting something that is immune to your offhand weapon, by all the gods, drop that weapon.)
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Wow that's a really interesting balance between TWF'ing and alternate fighting styles.
  • XukuthXukuth Member Posts: 78
    elminster said:

A combat round gets split into two when Haste is in effect (as far as your own attacks are concerned anyways), which means that you'll instead get 2 attacks per round from your offhand weapon. So any extra attack you get from the regular Haste spell is effectively given to your offhand weapon.

Really? They changed vanilla Haste/Oil of Speed to work that way? It used to be only Improved Haste worked that way (because it doubled attacks)? Did they change the opcode or add a new one?