Skip to content

Anyone have multiple versions of BG2 on their system?

I am reinstalling the SCS and other mods now that I have completed a couple of the first vanilla runs through BG-TOB that I have done in years. My son will sometimes play as well (finished BG, now in BG2) but I don't want to lose him down the rabbit hole of going through BG2/TOB with the smarter AI / higher degree of difficulty mods. He has no D&D background and this is his first RPG (other than Angry Birds Epic!). Rather, I would like a second vanilla version for him to play. Anyone know if this is possible and/or how it is best accomplished? Thanks!

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    I did with the original BG2 game.

Vanilla folder and modded folder. Many times installing multiple mods screws up your game and the only solution is to reinstall.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I have two BG2:ToB installed right now (and BG2:EE). One is a heavily modded BGT (not a mega-modification) and the other is waiting to meet the same end (get heavily modded when I have the time to install the mods).

If I have more disk space I'd have another install of BG2:ToB with DLTC or other Total Conversions.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    I have no less than four versions of each Baldur's Gate game (original CDs, GoG, D&D anthology, EEs), though only 2 are currently installed, so I know for sure you can have at least 2.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited January 2015
    As I go to double-install BG2EE, do I need to do anything to prevent the new install from overwriting the current one (I can't remember if I get to pick when I click the installation program) or to get it to refer to a different directory for save files (or is it OK if the both share the same save file). Many thanks!
  • Tomato9999Tomato9999 Member Posts: 30
    having no DnD background has nothing to do with being able to finish the game at age of 10 on insane difficulty(with SCS mods too).
    Probably the main reason your son cant surpass you is probably bcuz he doesnt have enough time to do so

If anything, DnD background is a hindrance because it'd make you think of this game more/less than it really is. Whereas a gamer, unknown to whatever DnD is, would just play and master the mechanics this game offers (through trial and error).
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Just rename the override folder. Presto! Vanilla BG.
    dib said:

Just rename the override folder. Presto! Vanilla BG.

Oooh. That is very hard drive space friendly. Good thinking!

having no DnD background has nothing to do with being able to finish the game at age of 10 on insane difficulty(with SCS mods too).
    Probably the main reason your son cant surpass you is probably bcuz he doesnt have enough time to do so

If anything, DnD background is a hindrance because it'd make you think of this game more/less than it really is. Whereas a gamer, unknown to whatever DnD is, would just play and master the mechanics this game offers (through trial and error).

Yeah - he plays a couple hours a month at best so there is a steep learning curve on the mechanics and a lack of repetition to drive home the lessons. I would rather he think through some of the strategy rather than me spoon feeding it (which is the only realistic alternative for a SCS game).

With my years of playing 2nd edition D&D and BG, I clearly see how much harder SCS is to work through with the globes, spell immunities, invisibility, spell turning, spell traps, etc. and I think the curve is too steep to expect from him with no RPG or D&D background to speak of -- at least during his first run through.

My judgment is that he should be more focused on basic mechanics and the story than trying to figure out how to deal with SCS mages. I want the experience to be something that he returns to over time rather than something he is glad to get done.