Skip to content

Question about my weapons

So I'm playing for my first time, and I've picked up a very basic and rudimentary understanding of everything, enough to know that my THAC0 has to be as low as possible.

Anyway, I'm having my fighter/thief dual wield weapons, and currently I've got a long sword + 1 and a short sword +1. However, I honestly don't understand how THAC0 works in regards to these weapons.

When I put the long sword + 1 in my offhand, this is what the inventory screen shows:

http://i.imgur.com/ZZ6UE4e.png

And when I invert them and put the short sword in my offhand, this is what the inventory screen shows:

http://i.imgur.com/OtGB4T5.png

So basically having my long sword +1 in my offhand is better? Why? I genuinely don't get it.

Additional info:

Long sword +1

THAC0: +1
Damage: 1d8 +1
Speed factor: 4

Short sword +1

THAC0: +1
Damage: 1d6 +1
Speed factor: 2

My proficiencies are:

Long swords ++
Two-weapon style ++

So, can anyone explain what is going on? I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Comments

• AndrassyAndrassy Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, I think I figured it out. This might seem basic to some of you guys, but I was trying really hard to figure it out lol. Either way, I'm assuming that since I'm not proficient with short swords, I get a penalty to my THAC0 with that weapon.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Yes, that would be correct.

I think. ;)
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    That's exactly what's happening. Since you have no points in shortsword, you get -2 THAC0 (that's a two-point penalty, in case the sign is confusing). Since you have two points in longsword, you get +1 THAC0 for that. So that's the difference.

For the record, this is how THAC0 works: The game simulates a d20 roll and adds the target's armor class. If the result is equal to or greater than the attacker's THAC0, the attack hits. This means lower is better for both AC and THAC0.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited January 2015
    Andrassy said:

Hey guys, I think I figured it out. This might seem basic to some of you guys, but I was trying really hard to figure it out lol. Either way, I'm assuming that since I'm not proficient with short swords, I get a penalty to my THAC0 with that weapon.

Which is why it's not a good idea to mix and match. If you want to dual-wield in these games you should stick the the same type of weapon, at least until after you're achieved Grandmastery in one of them. It's not like version 3 where you get a penalty for having anything but a light weapon in your off-hand.

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Belanos said:

Andrassy said:

Which is why it's not a good idea to mix and match. If you want to dual-wield in these games you should stick the the same type of weapon, at least until after you're achieved Grandmastery in one of them. It's not like version 3 where you get a penalty for having anything but a light weapon in your off-hand.

The fact that you can dual wield two bastard swords or even long swords without a penalty (other than the basic off-hand penalty) is quite silly. It would make more sense if it was somehow strength dependent.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Wilbur said:

The fact that you can dual wield two bastard swords or even long swords without a penalty (other than the basic off-hand penalty) is quite silly. It would make more sense if it was somehow strength dependent.

Well then, just play a 3rd edition game, the issue was addressed there. In these games it doesn't matter. While I tend to agree with you, the fact remains that it's best to stick to two of the same kind of weapon in order to make the most of your proficiency points, no matter what that weapon is. Once you max out in one weapon type, then you can think of switching things up. Personally I don't think dual-wielding is a great idea to begin with in these games, it's too much of a hassle to switch to a ranged attack weapon.