Skip to content

Party of 4

ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
I'm contemplating playing through IWDEE with a party of four.

Here is what I'm thinking:

1. Swashbuckler --> Mage (dual-classed at level 5)

2. Cleric/Ranger
OR
Archer
(I'm inclined towards the cleric/ranger, mainly in order to combat all the undead, but I am open to the archer.)

3. Monk
OR Berserker --> Druid (dual-classed at level 9)
OR Fighter/Druid (multi-class)

4. Bard (vanilla)
OR Skald

Thoughts?

BTW, I'm using the IWD NPC mod, so spots 2-4 are going to non-created characters (for those who know the mod, 2 is Korin, 3 is Nella, and 4 is Severn).

Thanks!
JuliusBorisovlolien

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I wouldn't bother with a bard in a 4 person party.
    I wouldn't do many dual or multiclasses unless you're doing heart of fury mode.

Maybe:
    Swashbuckler 10/Mage
    Sun Soul Monk
    Archer
    Avenger

The Avenger becomes a great frontline combatant and tank with shapechanges, by the time the swashbuckler duals the monk will be ready to step up into the limelight and the archer will provide a continuous rain of arrowy death.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    Thanks Wowo. But since I'm determined to use the NPC mod (to make the game more interesting), I'm somewhat constrained in the class/kit combinations.

Right now I'm inclined to go with:

1. Swashbucker (level 5) --> Mage
    2. Ranger/cleric
    3. Berserker (level 9) --> Druid
    4. Skald

Anyhow, it'll be a while before I get to this (still have to finish up my BG2EE game), so I'll think about it some more...
  • spacehhspacehh Member Posts: 1
    lvl5 swashbuckler is kinda weak. Melee capability at lvl5/6 will be so low that you won't ever hit anything.
    Also lvl5 swash may not have enough points to get descent trap detect/open lock as swashbuckler gets less points per level to distribute - won't be able to max traps/locks. Perhaps go for normal thief 5(6) -> mage.

Would be nice to have some ranged guy on the last spot. IWD is melee-heavy in comparison to BG; more melee/ranged damage is needed, maybe just take f/m instead, same but better.
  • AudacesAudaces Member Posts: 57
    Lvl 5 swashbuckler is a better choice than straight thief for a mage dual - you essentially lose the backstab multiplier in exchange for 2 AC boost and better weapon accessibility. Swashbucklers get 25 skill points per level, so nothing lost there. Missing % in OL and FT can be gained with Girdle of Gond and Cat's Grace.

The +1 thaco/damage bonus is irrelevant, except maybe early on if you use a bow. Mid- and late game you'll be using your spells most of the time anyway.
    Thrasymachusjackjack
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    edited January 2015
    I defenitely want to play my next playthrough with female Sun Soul monk named Ash. But she won't look like an ordinary monk, because I change her appearance to red half-dragon.
    A beautiful half-dragon with good fire-themed feats - what else do you need?:)
    spacehh said:

lvl5 swashbuckler is kinda weak. Melee capability at lvl5/6 will be so low that you won't ever hit anything.
    Also lvl5 swash may not have enough points to get descent trap detect/open lock as swashbuckler gets less points per level to distribute - won't be able to max traps/locks. Perhaps go for normal thief 5(6) -> mage.

Thanks. Here is my thinking for the Swashbuckler (5) --> Mage:

Swashbucklers get 25 points/level for thief skills. I did the calculations, and it's possible to get 100% in open locks and find traps by level 5 with the Girdle of Gond.

The only reason I would take 5 levels of Swashbuckler is to get the minimal thief requirements for the game. The +2 AC and +1 to hit and damage at level 5 are just minor benefits, and reasons for taking the Swashbuckler kit over the other thief options.

Also, going without a thief for an extended period of time in IWD can be a pain. Hence I wanted to keep the "downtime" for dual-classing as minimal as possible.
    spacehh said:

Would be nice to have some ranged guy on the last spot. IWD is melee-heavy in comparison to BG; more melee/ranged damage is needed, maybe just take f/m instead, same but better.

For this reason I'm debating going with: (2) Archer; and (3) Druid/fighter. Archers seem really strong in IWD. But I would like the turn undead ability of the (2) Cleric/ranger.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    have you ever tried playing a .......

ok bye
    Thrasymachusjackjack