Skip to content

Assassin Mage SoA items build

After doing a quick run and trying out the 4 SoA dragons (firkraag, thaxll'ssillyia, adalon and nizidramanii'yt) I found that the assassin mage hit all 4 dragons reliably with poison weapon.

With the run I found these for my item build:
Bracers of Archery (+2 THAC0) in the druid grove
Pale Green Ioun Stone (+1 THAC0) in graveyard district
Potions of mind focusing (+3 dex each) any of the temples sells 13x each; Stack 2 potions to give +2 THAC0
Potion of Power (THAC0 bonus)

With 18 dex, by the time I got to underdark she had -2 THAC0

With my Blackguard partner -4 AC aura I can hit dragons reliably, buffing with Imp Haste that is anything from 6 to 10 attacks a round. Needless to say the fights with the dragons were short, having the dragon stoneskins wear out from missles in seconds was a good side effect too!

Now the two dragons in ToB are immune to poison, but the mage can still reach level cap with 9 levels of thief... I am sure she can get by with Project Image and Chain contingency cheese then.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I like missiles against dragons in general, most of my low level Firkraag kills depend heavily on my Archer. Poison is a fun thing to have in addition I suppose.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    It's also a good combination with Melf's Minute Meteors, as @Gotural can attest.
  • XiaolinXiaolin Member Posts: 18
    Not sure who this gotural fellow is, however each melf counts as one level 3 spell; you can use up the enemy spell deflection faster than dispelling it. To sum it up: Remove 10 stoneskins / 30 levels of spells deflection with attacks pers round, and have poisons on each successful hit.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Very impressive how you can reach a nice THAC0 of -2 from a base of abysmal 16.
  • XiaolinXiaolin Member Posts: 18
    It also happens that all the female npc mages have high dex, making them useful melf cannons

Aerie 17
    Neera 17
    Nalia 18
    Imoen 18

vs Edwin(a)'s 10 dex..

I do find it key to have a blackguard with her aura of despair; Otherwise melfs dosen't land everytime, on a dragon that is.
  • SymphonyofSwordsSymphonyofSwords Member Posts: 40
    In addition, Aerie is also a milf cannon.

Sorry, couldn't resist. haha
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Err, not.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    The OPness of poison weapon is once more demonstrated.
    To all of you out there who never tried it, you really should.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

In addition, Aerie is also a milf cannon.

Sorry, couldn't resist. haha

Only in ToB, and only if you romanced her.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    You're missing the Staff of the Magi for insane backstabs when used together Shapeshift->Sword Spider, Improved Haste and Tenser's Transfomation (you don't even need Mislead!).
  • NamaNama Member Posts: 2
    mumumomo said:

The OPness of poison weapon is once more demonstrated.
    To all of you out there who never tried it, you really should.

Well, to be fair poison does not work for undead (Much of SoA), and without the right items to improve your THAC0 the melf won't hit consistently. Finally it is worthless by ToB as you have only 3 uses and in ToB the enemy hp scales to massive numbers, making the poison insignificant or just outright immunity.

To summarise, real nifty for the SoA dragons, needs proper item build + blackguard ability to work, useless from ToB onwards.
    CrevsDaak said:

You're missing the Staff of the Magi for insane backstabs when used together Shapeshift->Sword Spider, Improved Haste and Tenser's Transfomation (you don't even need Mislead!).

Do you mean Staff of the Ram, @CrevsDaak? Because the (vanilla) game doesn't allow for backstabbing with weapons that cannot be used by striaght Thieves that don't have UAI. (You could backstab with the SotM, but the backstab modifier wouldn't apply.)
    Poison stacks with itself in my experience, and makes BG1 a breeze for an Assassin, and come ToB, if you stuck with Assassin long enough, you can get UAI. High level Assassin duals are a bad idea if you run a large party though, and can require a fair bit of skill to solo the new dualed to part... Mage is the most forgiving thing to dual to late, as you can actually do okay with lower level mage spells and some know-how, but fighter or cleric are hard, and fighter is incredibly boring to dual to. All you can do is hit things, and a low level fighter in SoA will have a hard time dealing with Muggers, let alone ACTUAL threats.

As for improving accuracy, remember to use debuffs like slow, Web, Chaos (if they aren't attacking you much, you don't need to hit quite as often to win!), Glitterdust, etc etc to offset things. -2 THAC0 isn't that bad in much of ToB, though you will miss occasionally I suppose. Lots of really unpleasant enemies do not rely on AC though, such as Mindflayers. Kensages operate without much better THAC0 iirc, and do great in SoA, though rely more on magic in ToB... which might be what this build has to do too eventually.

All else fails btw, at high levels you can Timestop and not worry about missing.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    @Blackraven‌ if I understood correctly, he means this:
    Wield the staff of magi => you are now invisible.
    Shapeshift into a spider => you are now using using spider's weapon

Now you are invisible, you are a thief and you aren't attacking with the staff but with spider's weapon and, maybe, it's a weapon able to backstab
    @Pibaro, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. Afaik SotM-invisibility ends as soon as the staff is no longer wielded, which would seem to be the case if spiders's weapon is 'equipped', but I haven't tried this and it could be different with shapeshifts. Am tempted to try this myself sometime :)
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    we just need to try :)
    edited January 2015

CrevsDaak said:

Do you mean Staff of the Ram, CrevsDaak? Because the (vanilla) game doesn't allow for backstabbing with weapons that cannot be used by striaght Thieves that don't have UAI. (You could backstab with the SotM, but the backstab modifier wouldn't apply.)
    My procedence is:
    1 - Shapeshift into Sword Spider
    2 - Sequencer with Shocking Grasp, Imp. Haste and Tenser's Transformation
    3 - We use SG on a party member, now our weapon slots are free
    4 - We get near an enemy, our CC triggers
    5 - Chain Contingency with PfMW, Mirror Image and SI:Divination trigger
    6 - Equip SotM (in my last install, it isn't nerfed and it is usable for backstab, that's why I got confused)
    7 - Enter inventory, equip SotR from there
    8 - Attack
    9 - Repeat 6-8 until enemy is dead

It's actually much better to use Mislead... Unles you can't cast Mislead because your Mageschool doesn't allow Illusion spells.
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
    10 - ?????
    11 - Profit!
    Wow @CrevsDaak! That's really smart.
    edited January 2015

Wow @CrevsDaak! That's really smart.

Thanks! :D It's the workaround I tend to use when I want to play a Necromancer dual/multiclassed with a Thief... I actually have never done so, lol (but I used that trick with Jan (I couldn't find another scroll of Mislead xD) in my first game, where I had infinite Chain Contingencies since keymapped spells that give submenus are automatically casted).