Skip to content

[Races] Give races actual proficiency slots in their favored weapons

2»

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I mean, an elf isn't biologically predisposed to wield a longsword any more than drow are biologically predisposed to using items made of adamantine. The preference is cultural; but the assumption made in D&D is that, if you are a member of that race, you are at least tangentially familiar with the precepts of that race. In the case of an elf, this translates to everyone around you assuming you must be good at fighting with long swords, and probably handing you one every chance they get just to see what you do.

Or on a slightly less racist note, Gorion offers to teach you swordplay because he feels guilty taking you away from your ancestral home, and wants you to feel some kind of affinity for Candlekeep (in the hopes that you don't bugger off out of boredom).

In any case, the point of the "free proficiency point" is that a fighter who has no training in long swords is still skilled at wielding them by virtue of being an elf. It's part of that cultural predisposition; it emphasizes that elves are notoriously talented swordsmen, regardless of profession; and an elf who specializes in swordplay is going to become more skilled more quickly because he already has a head-start.

That said, the P&P mechanic (which I pulled from a website, actually, not a book, so the nuances might be slightly different) says it's a +1 bonus, not a proficiency point. So while I still think that a proficiency point would be a more elegant way of demonstrating it, I wouldn't want them to change the rule.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    @jaysl659

You are correct. I found that line in the elves's description yesterday night, and thought I'd post it today, but I see you've beaten me to it ;-) There's a similar line in the description for halflings, and these appear to be the only two races getting a bonus to attack rolls for racial reasons:

"Halflings have a natural talent with slings and thrown weapons. Rock pitching is a favorite sport of many a halfling child. All halflings gain a +1 bonus to their attack rolls when using thrown weapons and slings."

I'm all for P&P racial adjustments, but this is something that can be very easily be done with mods. I would honestly leave it at that - mods - instead of adding yet another item on the devs's already crammed to-do list.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    That's what I've been saying (and been getting disagreed with on) all along: leave this for the mods!

I swears... no respect!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Don't feel bad about it, @Dazzu; the point of requesting the feature was to get it into the game, not to request mods for it. But as I said above - and as has been repeated numerous times - the current way it works is RAW (Rule-As-Written), and doesn't need to be changed.

I was never disputing that it could be handled with mods; only that the change should be relegated to mods. But I would rather follow the RAW than include this change, so I'm no longer advocating this request. (Others may still feel free to disagree, of course.)