Skip to content

Spells for a Dwarven Mage?

AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
I want to try a totally new character next time, and after some thoughts I landed on a Dwarven Assassin/Mage. I love poison and backstabs, I love mage spells and I too seldom play dwarves. Yes, I know I'll have to use EEKeeper, but that is fine.

Thorfin (later renamed Molkai) will use the Dagger of Venom and the Crossbow of Speed, at least in BG1. I also plan to really use traps for a change. But what spells would a dwarven mage prefer to learn and memorize? Give me your best guesses for BG1 and onwards! :-)

This is the portrait I made for him today. The snapshot was taken by my wife, as usual.

Post edited by Astafas on

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Summon Ale and Greater Summon Ale are must have spells I would think.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yeah, I think conjuration sounds like the school of magic dwarves would find least offensive.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    First level? Shield, every 1st level mage's 2nd best friend after Sleep. Anything else is just... suboptimal. :wink:

Curious build though, especially since Dwarves are basicly as good at conducting arcane magic as a wood is electricity, and assassin seems to suggest this dwarf will be an outcast of sorts. So, maybe not an ultra-stereotypical dwarf I'm thinking?

For an Assassin mage, purely for flavour purposes I would try and make good use of Necromancy, disablers in general and probably enchantment. I am assuming a VERY underhanded dwarf, one relying on enemies misjudging his abilities/predilections to gain advantage.

Larloch's Minor Drain is not ideal for your first choice as you find it very easily/early iirc, but it is a very, very useful spell if you are good at timing it, as it makes a dandy spell interrupter. Casts VERY fast, and travels fast, so it is better than MM at the job. Disablers like Sleep early on will make life a breeze, followed by Horror for tougher enemies (Necromancy!), the Slow for even tougher enemies (...or so you can catch up to a Horror'd enemy), Confusion iirc will be the last great disabler, as you will only get 4th level spells I think. Glitterdust is good too, but Horror is cooler. Spook is a nice spell when you are closer to the cap, as it gets harder to resist.

Skulltrap is slightly worse IMHO in BG1 than Fireball, but more fitting for your character, so think about using it. Situationally it can be better, but its a smaller area and not that many enemies are immune to fire. At 3rd level, you also get Melf's Minute Meteors, which can be poisoned, and are a very good damage option/caster killer.

Traps are just plain brutal in BG1, so devastating vs almost everyone. The only thing will be that Dwarves have 17 dex to start with, and you are an Assassin, so unless you neglect something else you end up short of skill points. I strongly suggest you neglect stealth in BG1 with your character, as you can cast Invsibility, and likely are a poor backstabber at this point anyways. Pickpocket can be dismissed out of hand, you can use potions if you really want to rob someone. Detect Illusions is nice, but if you are invisible, you can just wait until it works. IIRC, you can get by with 80% in find traps, even less in Open Locks, and just boost with a potion when strictly necessary, IE Durlag's or Catacombs. Other than those two places though, there is very little worth stealing you won't be able to nab. Open Locks boosts quite a lot with a Potion of Master Thievery, so you might let that slide even more. You can win without it. So, if you plan out in advance your point distribution, you will be happiest.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Go fighter/mage. Focus on spells that make him better in combat. Mirror image, blur, haste. armor, blindness, maybe some monster summoning.

He's still a dwarf. He's still going to kick arse. Let elven mages sit back throwing lightning and fireballs. He's going to fill himself to the brim with arcane energy and will use it to tear you a new one.

Then in BG2 he can use magic to really buff himself up into a combat monster. :)
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    His name's Thorfin? Well, in that case I recommend the spell Colonize Vinland. :D

But okay, seriously. I'd focus on defensive and buffing magic. He's got a crossbow for hurting people, so let him channel the power of the earth and stone through your party. Summons also make sense, once you start getting good ones. Especially the demon summons. Delve greedily and deep.
    If he's an Assassin Mage, what on earth would he be doing in melee, where he will get stomped by anyone?? 1 Apr and essentially Wizard THAC0 = Do Not Melee. Crossbow is great to work around that. Casting Slow will let you outrun enemies, so you can shoot your crossbow safely, while Horror and Confusion can allow you the freedom to pelt non-attacking enemies with bolts. Sleep is amazing early. If its too good, use Colour Spray.

Mages have what, 1 party buff until 5th level, when they can cast Haste?? Slow is better, and fits an Assassin well.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Darts are better than a crossbow for an asassin, with 3 att/round you can spread your poison damage around more easily.

For spells, go for earth based spells if you fancy rping a typical dwarf. Armor, shield, grease, pro from petrification, strength, knock (especially useful as you can dump open locks) slow etc all have an earth theme. Or go for the anarchist dwarf that goes for the flashy spells like color spray, aganazar's scorcher, glitterdust, fireball, haste etc.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    @lunar, I considered "earthier" spells as well, Summon Earth Elemental being the top of them. Also, I agree with @DreadKhan that necromantic spells make sense from an Assassin point of view.

Darts are indeed better for poison users, but I see him as a dwarf who simply likes a sturdy crossbow. :-)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited February 2015
    Darts make sense as a dwarf, longbows and ranged weapons with longe ranges are of little use in dwarven halls. Or underground caves. Dart is the ranged weapon with the shortest range, hence still useful in underground and caves. Also, crossbows and bolts require a lot of wood:not particularly easy to find in underground and caves. Darts can be thought as just sharpened and chiseled stones, and clean cut metal pieces:a dwarf will make them easily.
    Dwarves are not exclusively subteranean in most cases, and underground versions use fungus based wood (Sorry @lolien @OneAngryMushroom to break the bad news). I do agree darts are better than crossbows in BG1 generally, but it must be noted that Bolts of Lightning are one HELL of a hard hitter in BG1, Bolts of Biting are good too. 2 apr vs 3 does favour darts, and iirc darts are easier to get early on, but you can get a better THAC0 with bolts +2 than you can with darts, as they have no launcher. Stunning darts are nice, and I don't think you can stun with bolts in BG1.

For a pure assassin, I would favour darts, but for an assassin/mage, I suspect he will not regret crossbows. It is a shame he can't use the Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy though, handy to take down VERY hard to hit opponents reliably.

For a character this interesting, I hope you plan to do a good write up of your play through for us to enjoy. Definately not cookie cutter, and tons of potential for really interesting character development. You don't need to go too overboard, @Blackraven has some nicely written playthroughs that you could model yours on. Very curious for the explanation of the Assassin/Mage as a dwarf, should be interesting.

As folks noted, Knock will be a very useful 2nd level spell to prepare, especially if you know which chests are worth the trouble of opening. Not all really are! But if you can skip Open Locks (Use either knock or potions as needed... Knock for isolated chests, potions for areas with several good ones), invisibility can offset your need for stealth in BG1, You don't need to max Find Traps as you only need 100 in Durlag's iirc, so getting a solid Set Traps score should be doable. Dwarves have a good bonus to both Set Traps and Remove Traps (and a small one to detect illusions), making them pretty decent at what you are trying for I think.
    I'm actually leaning towards taking another thief with me, as this is not a solo run. All starting points went to Set Traps. My Cat familiar will help me scout ahead.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Love your stubborn Molkai, and very nice writing. (Your English is fine.)
    Thanks! The english is without problems, don't worry.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,537
    Careful that your assassin/mage does not simply become a mage like certain other t/m combos in bg2.
    If you go the way of traps then I suggest invisibility to memorize for your backstabs coupled with buffs like: haste, strength, shield, blur and clerical ones from your priest. Some weapon/touch spells are also nice to use.

With dwarf I often think priest though, but without weapon limitations...

edited February 2015
    An update on the journey so far:

Things started out real slowly, as one would expect when it comes to mages (or assassins not specializing in stealth). But now Molkai has reach level four as a mage and level five as an assassin (40 000 XP), and we are currently at Cloakwood Mines.

There have been some really wonderful moments so far. I just love hitting a sword spider with a poisonous backstab in the dark and then running away as fast as those short dwarven legs will allow! Also, using the dagger of venom in addition to the poison weapon skill, one of the two will normally do the job. Otherwise, a quick spell is a sure way to finish the grisly task.

The party consists of Molkai, Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira, Garrick and Kivan. Kivan was changed to an archer upon joining the team, and Imoen just dualled to a mage after reaching level six as a thief (90 per cent in open locks, 95 per cent in find traps – spells and potions will have to do the rest in Durlag’s Tower). Khalid has mastery in the long sword and melees exclusively. Jaheira just switched to using her club before her sling. Both have shields and heavy armor.

To the surprise of no one, Kivan as an archer (or as long as he has a bow) is hard to beat when it comes to kills. However, I’m both surprised and pleased to say that Molkai is holding up very well. Thanks to the crossbow of speed, a dexterity of 17 (max for dwarves before any tomes) and the bracers of archery – as well as poison and spells, of course (although the later have mostly been incapacitating, so far) – Molkai has around 30 per cent of the kills so far.

As an assassin, you get fewer points to distribute amongst thief skills than would an ordinary thief. But Imoen has handled all traps and locks so far (and will do again, eventually) and Garrick takes care of identification and picking pockets. I put all Molkai’s points into set traps until reaching 80 per cent, and then started to put them into move silently (with the boots of stealth, we are now succeeding about half the time).

When it comes to party composition, I prefer having more than one healer. As Imoen just turned mage, one alternative would be to drop Garrick for Yeslick. It would without a doubt make for a stronger party, but I do (no joke) like having Garrick around, and so far we have been able to handle all challenges quite well.

The most used level one spell is sleep. The most used level two spell is invisibility (in order to backstab).
    Finally, we just learned than wyverns have helmets. :-D