Skip to content

Wisdom - Magical Defence

JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
I know that what despite what the manual says, Wisdom doesn't give you a magic defence adjustment
Do we know if this has been implemented?
Is it even possible with the engine's limitations / the contract the developers are under?

Would definitely be awesome if it was included.

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited August 2012
    Exceptionally High Intelligence (19+) also makes you functionally immune to certain illusion spells. Basically, the more Intelligence you have, the higher level the spells you are immune to. High Wisdom also makes you immune to some enchantments, like Cause Fear, Charm Person, Command, Friends and Hypnotism at 19 Wisdom. The Higher your wisdom, the more spells you can just ignore.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Would be nice for a monk to give ac but other than that im not sure if i want so drastig changes,because that would make rolling a character even longer proces
    Magical Defense Adjustment only meant pluses to saving throws that affect your mind anyway... Spells such as hypnotism, beguiling, charm, fear, hypnosis, illusions, possession, suggestion, etc.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    raywind said:

Would be nice for a monk to give ac but other than that im not sure if i want so drastig changes,because that would make rolling a character even longer proces

Totally, it was my understanding that the Monk wasn't fully implemented in BG2, so Wisdom was pretty useless as a prime stat.

• JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    LadyRhian said:

Magical Defense Adjustment only meant pluses to saving throws that affect your mind anyway... Spells such as hypnotism, beguiling, charm, fear, hypnosis, illusions, possession, suggestion, etc.

Exactly, so only bonuses! Although do penalties incur below 6 like it does with Constitution?

I always enjoy taking Wisdom for my PC anyway, from a role playing perspective I enjoy the idea of being more wise than I am intelligent. Also it would make Clerics and Druids that little bit more formidable against other spellcasters.

edited August 2012
    @Jaxsbudgie Below 8. at a 7 Wisdom, you get a -1. It goes to -2 at 4 Wisdom and -3 at a 3 Wisdom.
  • JRRJRR Member Posts: 21
    raywind said:

Why would a monk get wisdom to ac? Monks get a level based ac.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited August 2012
    In 3e and 3.5e, from which the monk class was pulled, monks receive a bonus to AC equal to their Wisdom bonus, just like Dexterity. This is in addition to their level-based AC, and is intended to somewhat offset the disadvantage of never wearing armor while being a class that is designed to be in melee a lot. It doesn't fully offset it, but it offsets it enough that you can still survive.

AC works a little bit differently in AD&D than it does in 3.5e, but the principle is the same: without some sort of offset, a monk's AC is higher than a thief's, which means that a monk, who is supposed to be good at defending himself, is going to be hit more often than a character who is designed not to be attacked at all (by hiding in the shadows most of the time).