Skip to content

Importing Characters - IOS

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
On the IOS, how do I import a character from BG1 to BG2? I've got several finished games and I'd hate to lose the characters...

edit:

My apologies, I just figured it out. For anyone else who gets stuck on this, download ifunbox. Then go to library->characters, and copy the folder from BG1 app to BG2. It's that 'easy.'
Post edited by Grum on
JuliusBorisovlolien

Comments

• ValheruValheru Member Posts: 8
    Sorry didnt see your post - was it iFunBox Free you used? - when I tried that I went into [Local] - i then have a number Directories - however they all have nothing in them except Photos - am i being stupid?
    l98a1
  • mannegermanneger Member Posts: 6
    I actually have to download some external app for filemanagement to import my BG1 character to BG2 on iphone?
  • l98a1l98a1 Member Posts: 4
    I can't import my character from BG1 EE to BG2 EE on iphone (a sweet 6+) either.

I read the instructions on how to import from BG1 to BG2 with the ipad, and this doesn't work on iphone. The option to 'open in BG2' simply doesn't appear on an iphone when you export your character - as confirmed by other iphone users.

Please tell me I'm missing something because as far as I can see, there's no way to get your BG1 character into BG2 on the iphone without some third party app...

So like others here, I followed the advice and downloaded ifunbox (free) which was useless. The reviews for the full version of ifunbox say it won't work either, so I'm not risking the paid version.

Does anyone know if there any other apps that will allow me to import my character/transfer my save file from BG1 to BG2?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    So what I did:

Step 1: install Ifunbox

Step 2: in Ifunbox: go to BG1, library, characters. I dragged the folder onto my desktop.

Step 3: in Ifunbox go to BG2, library, characters. Replace the content with the content from the BG1 folder.

And with that, the characters are imported.
    JuliusBorisov
    Ah, I see... I think... Is the 'ifunbox' you're using an app for windows, rather than an app for the iphone downloaded via apple's app store?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Correct. Sorry, I should have been more clear.
    l98a1JuliusBorisovlolien
    Hey, no worries, it's called the same thing on both platforms! It seems the 'ifunbox' on the apple app store is there to trick people. I'll try the windows version tonight.

You've been very helpful.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • mannegermanneger Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2015
    When i use Ifunbox i dont have a BG1/library/characters directory - in the library directory there is just Caches , Preferences , save ...?
    Edit: Works to copy final save in save folder too, and import
    Post edited by manneger on
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    do any of you know how to add custom portraits on the ipad version of bg2ee?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Just create a portraits folder under library folder using ifunbox. And dump the portraits you want there. The portraits folder works as an override folder as well, which lets you do some limited modding. Check out my thread about it:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16695/amazing-discovery-overriding-cre-files-without-override-folder-and-jailbreak/p1
    JuliusBorisov
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    nice! thanks!
    Yay! I successfully transferred a save game from BG1 to BG2 on my iPhone using Ifunbox (the windows version not the version from the apple App Store). Thanks to Grum for his help... the saga can now continue.
    GrumJuliusBorisov
  • ValheruValheru Member Posts: 8
    Thanks indeed that did work - although it did rely on knowledge of ios and windows that I'm not convinced all users will have. Although Beamdog has my eternal thanks for delivering my three favourite games in the world to ios - I am amazed that testing apparently didn't include exporting a BG1 games to BG2 on iPhone!
    JuliusBorisov
  • JetoraJetora Member Posts: 11
    Valheru said:

*clip* ... although it did rely on knowledge of ios and windows that I'm not convinced all users will have.

Correct! :tongue:

I realize this is an old thread, has anything changed? That is, is it easier to transfer BG1 characters to BG2 on iPhone / iPad in 2017 or no? We got BG EE on iPad for our grandson who's really enjoying it (third generation BG player, yay!), and I'm interested in finding out if his character / party could be easily transferred to BG II .. when he gets there.

If not, how would one get "ifunbox for Windows" onto an iPhone? does the phone need jailbreaking? If so, then it's out for those of us who are unwilling to jailbreak our devices. :/

• SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    I don't know how things were two years ago, and I don't know how things are on iPhone, but importing from BG1 to BG2 on iPad is easy. Export character in BG1 and immediately afterward you'll have several options pop up. One is "export to BG2". Select that and your character is now available to use in BG2. (It'll even open BG2 automatically for you.)

I've ported over a half-dozen characters without issue.
    JetoraJuliusBorisov
  • JetoraJetora Member Posts: 11
    Sounds great, thanks @SomeSort for verifying that it does work, and is easy to do!

Since there doesn't seem to be a solution (yet) for the problem with BGEE I'm having on my mac, I may start playing on iPad too. The graphics are really awesome on it.

Thanks again!