Skip to content

hey guys, im having problems connecting to friends via steam can anyone help ?

?

Comments

• Drow_ArrowDrow_Arrow Member Posts: 73
    @AlanLFC5x might need a little more information.

I assume what your asking is "having problems when trying to connect to a multiplayer with my friends on steam" which is to say you've got Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition or one of the other Enhanced Editions on steam and are in fact experiencing problems when it comes to playing with your friends in the multiplayer.

if that's true then first is the still an issue considering the question is a over a week old; and if so do the friends you're trying to play with also have it on steam.

other than that who is hosting? is it one of your friends or yourself?

if it's yourself then you might find it's a firewall issue (which is what I would put my money on) best way to test would be to turn off any firewalls you have running on your computer and then try hosting, on top of this make sure whoever is hosting has the correct ports forwarded this is what I could find as far as ports go for BG:EE:

TCP and UDP 15000
    TCP and UDP 2300-2400
    TCP and UDP 47630
    TCP and UDP 6073.

Regards,

Drow
  • AlanLFC5xAlanLFC5x Member Posts: 39
    Hi Drow_Arrow. yes I have purchased BG 1 EE and BG 2 EE via steam, when ever i try and join my friend weather he hosts or i host, it tells us to wait connecting may take awhile but will never connect and stays on that same page, ( since typing this ) we have both tried joining different games and we can both join other peoples games just not connect together , which is very strange cause we game together often on different games ?
    i also recognise a few of those port numbers but will double check i have them all and will pass them on to my friend also ?
    but yeah cause of this i have been gaming solo , i love the game and im near played through BG 1 completely and almost ready to move on to BG 2...then eventually icewind dale :)

Thank you for your time and help it is most appreciated :)
    @AlanLFC5x no problem happy to help.. the fact you are both able to join other peoples games but not each others does reinforce my thoughts that it is in fact either a port issue or a firewall issue.. if after you have forwarded the ports (though only the host should need to port forward, but if both of you will be hosting at one time or another then you should both port forward).

if you can't connect to each other still after verifying the ports have been forwarded on your router then try hosting with your firewall disabled because it may be your firewall has it's own port settings and though they may be open on the router, they may not be open within the firewall on your computer.
  • AlanLFC5xAlanLFC5x Member Posts: 39

@AlanLFC5x no problem happy to help.. the fact you are both able to join other peoples games but not each others does reinforce my thoughts that it is in fact either a port issue or a firewall issue.. if after you have forwarded the ports (though only the host should need to port forward, but if both of you will be hosting at one time or another then you should both port forward).

if you can't connect to each other still after verifying the ports have been forwarded on your router then try hosting with your firewall disabled because it may be your firewall has it's own port settings and though they may be open on the router, they may not be open within the firewall on your computer.

we both done ports was still having problems, so both switched of firewall , problem sorted ...thanks man most appreciated :)
    @AlanLFC5x you're very welcome Alan. i wouldn't suggest always turning your firewalls off to play multiplayer with your friend though.

If at all possible try and find a way of opening the ports on the firewall and allowing the game access through the firewall (some firewalls keep these two things seperate). however it's no big issue so long as you remember to reactivate the firewall after each session.

but glad it's working for you and happy to help.