Skip to content

Dual Class help.

First time posting, hope I got the thread right. Only recently I started playing Baldur's Gate and I'm having a blast. I've played almost to the end of the main quest (or I think is near the end, I'm in the labyrinth where Sarevok runs to, near the thieves guild), but since I want to do the sidequests now I'm having a problem and a dillema. My character is a lawful neutral human fighter and he's at level 7 and, I've read a bit here and there, I want to dual class into fighter/mage. From what I read he fullfills all the requirements to dual class but the option is greyed out. I think that there a max requirement for mage of strenght to 18, and my fighter has 19 strenght, is that why? Please help.

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    To be able to dual class from a fighter to a mage you need to have the following :

1.) Be a human
    2.) Have 15 STR
    3.) Have 17 INT
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Something to consider is that, when you dual, you will lose your fighter skills until your new class level is higher than your fighter level (if you dual at level 7, you need to be mage 8 before getting your fighting skills back.
    If you play with a large group, that could take a long time.
    edited February 2015
    mumumomo said:

Something to consider is that, when you dual, you will lose your fighter skills until your new class level is higher than your fighter level (if you dual at level 7, you need to be mage 8 before getting your fighting skills back.
    If you play with a large group, that could take a long time.

And if you dual class late you might not even be able to regain your old class. You can at the most get 161 000 experience per character in BG:EE. If you click on this link you can see the experience requirements for classes.

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts
  • shinigami3666shinigami3666 Member Posts: 2
    Ok thanks for the reply. Yeah I got it wrong, he definitely doesn't have 17 intelligence. Yeah I know the downside of dual classing is that I would basically have to train a level 1 mage, right? I didn't really planned my character since it's a first time playthrough but I've no problem with doing a new game after this one.

Ok thanks for the reply. Yeah I got it wrong, he definitely doesn't have 17 intelligence. Yeah I know the downside of dual classing is that I would basically have to train a level 1 mage, right? I didn't really planned my character since it's a first time playthrough but I've no problem with doing a new game after this one.

Yes, once you dual class you'll lose a powerful fighter and get a weak mage until you regain your old class back.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Also, if you're about to chase him through the thieves guild you would be adding a huge amount of time between Sarevok running and you chasing him just to grind your mage levels. I say get after him, and get him deaded. Then consider a dual either in BG2, or another run.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Also, if you're about to chase him through the thieves guild you would be adding a huge amount of time between Sarevok running and you chasing him just to grind your mage levels. I say get after him, and get him deaded. Then consider a dual either in BG2, or another run.