Skip to content

Physical retail version of BG2EE

Hiyas!

Sorry if this topic has been exhausted on the forums already but I just couldn't, for the death of me, find any such threads through via the search function. So here it goes... How come BG1EE has a physical retail version of it but BG2EE doesn't? Was it some kind of a one-time experiement or are there plans to do this with future games aswell? And what are the possibilities of having a ye olde type big box limited edition funded by let's say Kickstarter or such, along the way like inXile and Obsidian are doing/have done with their games like Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, and Pillars of Eternity? Cheers!

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I think the demand just isn't big enough. Boxes cost a lot to produce, and while there are people that appreciate some cardboard and plastic to put on their shelf, I'm sure the vast majority of gamers are fully behind going all-digital these days - doubly so when a boxed version would cost more.

Personally I'm happy to get rid of all the physical stuff. That's just relics of a bygone age, the content is what matters and not the packaging.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Although I got my hard copy of BG1EE (English version) from Amazon UK they now only have the German version in stock and no sign of BG2EE in any language.
    It's possibly something to do with the insane way that international licensing agreements "work" (along with cinema release dates etc.).
    JuliusBorisov
  • enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    Aye, and now come to think of it; there's no physical retail version of IWD:EE either... I wonder what makes BG1:EE so special.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660

I think the demand just isn't big enough. Boxes cost a lot to produce, and while there are people that appreciate some cardboard and plastic to put on their shelf, I'm sure the vast majority of gamers are fully behind going all-digital these days - doubly so when a boxed version would cost more.

Personally I'm happy to get rid of all the physical stuff. That's just relics of a bygone age, the content is what matters and not the packaging.

"These were your father's jewel cases. A more an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Wasn't bgee boxed after the large improvement patch? That would make sense to me at least. I bought it but didn't check yet.... i need bg2ee boxed as well, for the collection
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    Ghamarro said:

Aye, and now come to think of it; there's no physical retail version of IWD:EE either... I wonder what makes BG1:EE so special.

Do you really have to ask???
  • CField17CField17 Member Posts: 122
    edited March 2015
    ^
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    BGEE has been out for awhile now. Just give it some time. Maybe the release of the boxed bgee was a testing of the market.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    The English version of the BG1EE hard copy is now back in stock at Amazon UK (£10.96).

I love the fact that my tangible copy is sitting on a shelf where I can see it and pick it up whenever I want to. I find it very hard to find any sense of ownership in a collection of insubstantial electrical impulses that fade into non-existence when my computer shuts down and returns to being just a collection of scrap metal and plastic.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Not to mention that a physical copy usually means you need to have the disc in the drive in order to play the game. I'd much rather be able to boot right from the hard drive.