Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Question about the R/C druid spells .ini setting

subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 11,466
edited February 2015 in General Modding
I still don't have the 1.3 patch for BG2 yet on OS X, so I can't play around with this setting. (btw what's up with that @Beamdog?? edit: looks like GOG is now offering v2.1.0.6... maybe that's 1.3! yay!)

Does anyone know if it can be toggled via Weidu? I.e. is it just configurable, or actually moddable? Could I just do a
COPY_EXISTING ~baldur.ini~ ~~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ...
...to toggle the setting? It would be nice if I could give players a way to control this with a Weidu mod rather than having to edit an .ini file. (Wouldn't a .2da have worked better for this kind of thing?)

Anyone know if Weidu can do this? Thx

Post edited by subtledoctor on

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 2,809
    COPY_EXISTING only searches for files in BIFFs and the game's override folder, but you can probably use COPY together with the USER_DIRECTORY variable. For example:
    COPY + ~%USER_DIRECTORY%/Baldur.ini~ ~%USER_DIRECTORY%/Baldur.ini~ REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ...

CrevsDaakelminster
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,145
    I would also recommend adding a CASE_SENSITIVE flag to REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ;)

elminster
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Note that making uninstallable configuration changes to the user's game can be considered uncool. There's a good chance the user won't know how to reverse it.

elminster
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 11,466
    edited February 2015
    I should think you could reverse it by simply uninstalling the mod component. Won't a copy of the .ini be saved in the backup directory, and restored upon uninstallation? That's perfectly expectable behavior, for anyone who reads a readme.

Oh, I see a problem. Still, not a major one, and anyway this is why I said

(Wouldn't a .2da have worked better for this kind of thing?)

[rant]
    There's a 15+ year tradition of modding these games, and Weidu has come to be the gold standard for doing so (even in cases where the very .exe gets hacked). Half of the great old modders are now on Beamdog's payroll.

So why, in 2015, are they suddenly using methods for configuration options (options that are about the ruleset, which are particularly the kinds of options people like to mod) that are unreachable by weidu??
    [/rant] (<--- man, someone should make that a real bb tag. make the words be on fire or something)

(I won't even get into the new "max hp on level-up by default unless you dig through an incomprehensible .ini document" thing - there are plenty of rants about that elsewhere.)

Post edited by subtledoctor on
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 2,809
    Restoring an old version of the baldur.ini might annoy people even more as it will erase all settings done by the user or the game in the meantime, which includes the list of played back movies (important if you want to skip them later on), hotkeys, console commands, audio and video options and many more settings.

Maybe you can use AT_UNINSTALL or AT_INTERACTIVE_UNINSTALL to restore the Ini option without overwriting everything else.

Yes.

Oh, I see a problem.

Which all reinforces the idea that simple rule modifications should not be in the same .ini with stuff like which movies have played or whether the game is in fullscreen, but should instead be in .2da files.

• IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 737
    Contrary to other game files, the Baldur.ini is changed by the game itself, or directly by the user. If you restore the state at the time of the mod installation, you may as well break something that the user desired.

Activating a feature in a ini file is also common in TobEx. I find it easier to edit than installing or uninstalling a mod component. Maybe there is a way in TobEx for modders to activate something in the ini file from their mod though.

edited February 2015
    Isaya said:

I find it easier to edit [the .ini] than installing or uninstalling a mod component.

The problem is - well, aside from the fact that other people may have the opposite experience - the problem is that I have a mod component aimed at addressing the "ranger/clerics can cast all druid spells" bug. Now the bug is fixed in two games, rendering the mod unnecessary... but there is still an option to re-enable the bug. In that case, I flatter myself that some users might wish to use the mod. So the issue is getting things in sync. I really, really don't want to have mod install instructions that say
    "Edit the .ini in such-and-such way, and only THEN the mod will work as advertised!"
    In other words I would like there to be three options:
    1) Install this mod and ranger/clerics can cast all druid spells, and there will also be a lore-friendly explanation for it in-game.
    2) Don't install the mod, and only cast druid spells of up to 3rd level.
    3) Ignore the mod, and enable or disable the bug as you see fit by editing the .ini.

BGee players currently can choose options 1) or 2); IWDee and BG2ee players can only choose option 3).

If I can't edit that configuration option via Weidu, could I at least read the .ini and only present the mod component to the user if they have the spells bug enabled? Right now I just use
    REQUIRE_PREDICATE GAME_IS NOT ~bg2ee iwdee~ 
    ...but that means the component can't be installed if the player edits the .ini to enable the spells. Could I create a boolean variable based on the presence of a string in the .ini file, to make that control more fine-grained?

Figured it out! Sort of! Now my mod can at least read the user's .ini setting and offer the player the appropriate options. For the sake of posterity, the solution is here:
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27130