Skip to content

Black Pits - tips on fighting Fire Giant + Elementals?

Hi. I am going through The Black Pits as a newbie to Baldur's Gate. I have a full party consisting of Fighter, Dwarven Defender, Barbarian, Ranger, Illusionist and Priest. They are all level 10 with a decent array of blessed weapons and armour, and some magical clothes and accessories.

I am up to the penultimate battle against a Fire Giant + 4 Fire Elementals, and I can't see any way I can win. Every time I fight the battle my guys get killed very quickly and don't come close to killing the giant, let alone the elementals. Every character has drunk a potion of Fire Resistance before the fight, and my illusionists casts Cone of Cold.

I'm not sure what else I can do - are there any special tactics, spells or items I should use here?

Comments

• blackfrancis75blackfrancis75 Member Posts: 5
    update: my mage uses a Frost Wand and this seems to help somewhat, but it doesn't killl the giant before he drinks from his healing Keg
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2015
    Its been over a year since I last did this fight so I'm just spitballing here.

Stock up on Potions of extra healing. Before the battle have all your fighters use Potions of Fire (or Frost) Elemental Strength. Have your "priest" (not sure if you mean cleric or druid but either have it) cast Protection from Fire (level 3 spell) on anyone you expect to be fighting the enemies up close.

Your illusionist can try casting slow. It only has a 20% chance of it actually working on the Fire Giant however, but it may make dealing with the fire elementals a bit easier.

Xithiss should have a wand of paralyzation (if you need more charges for a hefty price you can sell it and buy it back) you might want to look into buying. Like Slow there is only a 20% chance of it working against the giant but if you get lucky it should make the fight a lot easier.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • blackfrancis75blackfrancis75 Member Posts: 5
    Aha! I finally did it. The main assets were the Frost Wand, Potions of Frost Giant Strength, spell of Protection from Fire and many, many potions of Extra Healing.
    Thanks for your help. Now, on to Baeloth.....