Skip to content

Why are people/deities interested in the Bhaalspawn & Charname? (Theory thread, spoilers..)

Good day!
Since I'm afraid to keep derailing the adventure Y thread I thought I post my theories here
and you, dear readers, feel inclined to discuss them. =)
Also, my theories depend on two things: You have at least talked to certain NPCs and thus recognize them
in Amn and you have not killed them in a way that prevents ressurection. =P

Thank you for your time and let us begin ^_^

NPCs:

Neera:
As mentioned before I think Mystra has her hand in her appearance (don't worry I will keep divine
intervention to a minimum =P) , but Mystras personal motivation will be written further down.
So, why would Mystra send someone as Neera? Simple. If she would send one of her choosen, she would
openly show her interest in charname - which would alert her enemies and might be too much for Ao-
and it would also bring the personal enemies of the send chosen to the discussion, thus it would be too risky.
But Neera is easy, she knows Charname - and thus has an "excuse" to aid him - and her wild surges could be
manipulated without her realizing it. Also, Mystra is a good goddess and thus would be interested in helping
people surviving their magic, thus she should like Neeras quest..

Rasaad:
This one is a bit tougher to get, mostly because his motivation is completly unrelated to Bhaal.
Algoroth is the chosen of Shar, goddes of darkness, secrets and brooding. He mostly travels through the
land to create discord (Havn't got my campaign book at hand, so I'm not 100% sure here, sorry =/ ), so I would
assume he is in Amn to do exactly that. But why Amn? Well, Sarevoks plan destabilised the region and thus
this is the perfect time to weaken Amn.

Dorn:
Will add later, need to ponder that first..

Imoen:
Imoen is Charnames sister. I always had that impression, not because they are related by blood
(which is debatable) but because their past. Both were brought to Candlekeep by Gorion, they were the only
children there and so on. As your sister she follows you and worries about you and this makes me belive
that even if you kick her out (how can you do that? You are heartless O_O), she will follow you.

Khalid & Jaheira:
They are harpers and thus are annoying and meddlesome... But seriously, They knew Gorion, they know of
you (including your heritage). If you don't take them with you they will still follow you for two reasons. First, they
will want to make sure the (foster) child of their old friend is more or less safe and secondly to keep an eye on
a possibly dangerous Bhaalspawn, to ensure the LEGACY of Gorian is safe...

Minsc & Dynaheir:
If you charm Dynaheir you will find out that she is send to investigate Bhaalspawns. You are one
and killed the other one in the Area. She will keep doing her duty - which is investigating you...
I personaly believe that she allied herself with Khalid, Jaheira and Imoen after Charname left them behind
(to make sure they are not in danger after the rumours start) to follow him and their agenda..

Xzar & Monteron:
They are Zhentarim send to investigate the Iron Crisis, they found out that a Bhaalspawn is behind it
and that the Harpers are in the area to investigate that and a certain individual (which may or may not be
a Bhaalspawn). Manshoon most probably thought it would be wise to find out more about the Harpers interest,
thus they followed Jaheira/Khalid till they vanished. After searching they found the next Harper chapter
in Athkatla, with known results..

I will add more later..
I need to check some facts first and also grab something to eat =P
..And yes, I love creating theories ^_^

Have a nice day!

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Khalid and Jaheira

As far as I know, Gorion did not tell Jaheira and Khalid about charname being a Bhaalspawn because he did not want to endanger them yet. Jaheira did suspect something (druid intuition) , but there is absolutely nothing in the game to suggest that she was hiding this information from you. In fact, considering that BG NPC project is not canon, then I'm supposed to believe that it is only after the events in the Sword Coast
    that Jaheira got really involved in the Bhaal prophecy and the whole harper trouble in Athkatla.

Dynaheir and Minsc

Dynaheir did travel to the Sword Coast to investigate the Bhaalspawn, but I must correct you @Arcanis , she was after Sarevok , and ended up running into you by "coinscidence" (destiny?) .

BG1 leads us to believe that in the Sword Coast Sarevok had a much larger participation in the prophecy, until you killed him , that is.

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    It's the Planescape: Torment theory.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited March 2015
    @DJKajuru Technically Sarevok was a bit of a rogue. He developed his own idea on what he must do to ascend. Even if he succeeded causing Baldur's Gate and Amn to go to war, he won't simply ascend without killing all of his siblings then ascending from the throne of Bhaal.

The intro of the first Baldur's Gate implies that he intends on killing every one of his siblings until he is the last one living. The guy he threw off the roof was his first Bhaalspawn victim, and Charname was going to be the second, but he ended up getting sidetracked from his objective of getting rid of his siblings by his plans for war.

I believe it is Charname who has the bigger role in the prophecy, not Sarevok, otherwise Cyric would take it upon himself to personally meet Sarevok like he does with Charname in ToB.