Skip to content

Love, love, it's all about love

Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
Just spamming the forum a bit with interesting snippets from the AMAA going on right now at reddit. For those curious about continuation of Dorn, Neera and Rasaad in BG2:

Dave Gross said:

The new NPCs each have a full quest and a little banter, along with "starter romances" that can blossom into full-scale romances in BG2.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1af7/we_are_overhaul_games_the_team_behind_baldurs/c60me3z

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Hmm.. not bad, it will be nice to finally have a romance that can start in BG1 and keep going throughout the series - not even the BG1 NPC Project could deliver that.
    Though, I wonder if any of them will be able to give Viconia a run for her money.
  • neokarnyneokarny Member Posts: 39
    I, for one, look forward to a nice, long relationship with Neera. ;)
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited August 2012
    i think dorn will be the male version of viconia only......not quite. And he'll have a think for dwarves.

neera will be interesting but geez, guess my char still won't get any til ToB
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    Rasaad being voiced by Mark Meer really makes me hope I can romance him with my male PC. :)
    @kholdstare .....creepy
    Well, I mean that's not the only reason, but I love Mark Meer's voice acting.
    @kholdstare yeah, i find it a lil creepy that you want to have a romance with a voice :)

who is it anyways? i've never heard of the guy, but i've probably heard his voice somewhere
    @Bjjorick He's Commander Shepard in Mass Effect. :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I know that Dorn's romance is going to be a bit different, but here's hoping there is actual depth to him as well. But knowing this awesome team there probably will be.

I agree with Shin though, Viconia's romance is just awesome.
    @kholdstare ahhhh, i guess i should have guessed that.....his voice fit him but will have to see how he can do outside of that role. He never really stuck me as you never see him get loud and mad, or at least i never did. I mean, the game had alot of moments, but his voice never amazed me......but maybe that's because he did an awesome job?
    @Bjjorick I'd like to think so. I mean, I prefer FemShep, but I appreciate MaleShep's voice too. Mark also voiced Cyric in the small part he had in ToB. :) I think given his Shepard role as being more on the calm side, he should be able to play a monk very well.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Kholdstare I keep reading your username as "KoboldStare."
    @Quartz Ha! Perhaps it should have been!
    Quartz said:

@Kholdstare I keep reading your username as "KoboldStare."

lol, i do too and i've typed it wrong everytime until i realize and go back and change it. Didn't realize it was *cold* stare til i read your post

@koboldstare not just that, there were some crazy awesome voices as well, like tali and garrick were my favorite, mordian (i am the very model of a scientist salarian), and i loved the VA for wrex/grunt. :)

Shepard seemed a lil out of his league as far as sheer awesome goes in the first 2 games.
    My name is actually from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. It belonged to an obscure ice boss. I actually just tried to change my user name to Koboldstare a second ago and it wouldn't let me. :P Ah well.

@Bjjorick Yes! All the characters you mentioned have top-notch voice actors. I tend to think the same could be said of BG's VOs even though they got significantly fewer lines.
    @kholdstare very true, and i love aerie's voice just like i love tali's voice. :) And i love that all the lines were redone (or sounds like it to me) to make them all sound much older, like 5 years older.

Also, how do you know the name of the bosss from ALttP? i don't recall them being named anywhere i ever saw, but if i had to guess, it would be the giant eye ball encased in a block of ice? I know, i know, it's a terrible guess, but only thing that comes to mind. :)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited August 2012
    @Bjjorick
    The boss names are listed in the official strategy guides. :) And guilty as charged. I'm a frozen eyeball.
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    So these new characters will transfer to BG2 as well? I guess beamdog is set on replacing the canon NPC's from the story... It should be pretty awkward in BG2 seeing as none of the other NPC's will have any kind of banter with the new characters, as if they were invisible. At least they do look pretty cool.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @AzL0n

According to the AMA they hadn't decided if they were going to be in Irenicus' Dungeon yet but they didn't sound keen on the prospect. It felt more along the lines of Edwin or Viconia where you'd discover them in your travels of Amn.
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    @Dragonspear

Ahhh good good. I like that a lot better. I wouldn't want them to take center stage over the good old NPC's.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    Wonder if Neera will continue the long BG tradition of romancible elves that have night-terrors? :P
    Hopefully they've learned from NPCFlirt Packs and have more scenery comments and player-initiated dialogue than the Bg2 romances.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    You know, if Dorn really is the "dual-wielder", I just may change my Bhaalspawn's gender for the hell of it. I literally have no idea how a same-sex romance between an elf sorcerer and a half-orc blackguard would work - but I'd love to find out. :)
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Maybe I will try to romance this time. I have never done that in BG.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Drugar said:

I love small companies. Works so much more efficiently :-D

Word 8)

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    edited August 2012

@AzL0n
    According to the AMA they hadn't decided if they were going to be in Irenicus' Dungeon yet but they didn't sound keen on the prospect. It felt more along the lines of Edwin or Viconia where you'd discover them in your travels of Amn.

I don't think they will or should. You come out of Irenicus' Fun Palace with 5 people, yourself, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Imoen and Minsc. That means they can only place one of them in there. If I have a BG1 party with Rasaad and Dorn, I don't want the game to choose for me which one is kept and it seems weird to allow the player to make this decision ("Yes, Rasaad got away but Dorn remained to be captured I believe. Right, on to the torture!")
    Having them outside of Chateau Irenicus solves the problem.
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    I don't know, it's a little unfair the fact that if you want an evil party you cannot recruit anyone from irenicus' dungeon, so it would be nice to have Dorn in there; but on the other hand, from an RPG point of view it makes sense that evil characters are selfish enough to save themselves leaving you to be captured alone.

Personally I don't have preferences as long as you can recruit them again SOON in the game.
    Drugar said:

I found these quite interesting:

"With some modder help, We've radically improved the spells, beefed up Gorion's spell selection and made the battle feel much more exciting. Gorion no longer goes to his staff as his weapon of choice."
    -Trent

[-]Kholdsigma89
    Oh, I almost forgot a question I meant to ask from the beginning of this! Will there be any sort of Elven-chain for bard characters? I can't think of any other armor they can wear in vanilla BG1 that lets them use their spells.
    [–]DaigleDopple
    Hmm... I don't think we've thought about this one. We'll check it out.
    [–]OverhaulTrent
    Phil, add some Elven chain.
    [–]DaigleDopple
    ok done

I love small companies. Works so much more efficiently :-D

That Elven chain question was mine. :) I was so giddy to see it answered in that way so fast!