Skip to content

help with BP Series Scripts

NightWardenNightWarden Member Posts: 62
edited March 2015 in General Modding
When I played the original Baldur's Gate series many years ago, one of the things that drove me crazy was constantly having to micro-manage my party during combat. I was excited to read that the BP Series were supposed to address this issue by making party members behave more intelligently.

I'd appreciate it if someone will explain what the different components of this mod actually do....

1) Detectable Stats 3.1
2) Innate Spell Fixer
3) BP-Series Party AI (requires detectable stats)

For those who have used this mod (or are otherwise familiar with it), do you think it really improves game play? Also, it seems to have not been updated for quite a while, so do you suspect that there are any compatibility issues with BGEE 1.3?
Post edited by NightWarden on

Comments

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

1) Detectable Stats 3.1

This simply adds more options for the AI to tell if an opponent has a spell or ability in place that would prevent an action from having an effect in combat. While the default game already has some that are detectable by your characters, this component adds more of them. For instance, if an enemy mage has cast Globe of Invulnerability on itself, your mages will know that it shouldn't try to use Magic Missile against them, as it would have no effect.

2) Inate Spell Fixer

I'm not exactly sure what that does. It probably mentions something about it in the readme.

3) BP-Series Party AI (requires detectable stats)

These are the scripts you can assign to your characters that will make them behave in certain ways. The original ones are very basic, and they don't always act intelligently when using them. The BP scripts expands on their behaviour immensely. While they can still do stupid things, they won't do them nearly as much.

For those who have used this mod (or are otherwise familiar with it), do you think it really improves game play?

Most definitely. The base AI scripts suck, to put it plainly. The BP series ones improve your party's behaviour immensely.

Also, it seems to have not been updated for quite a while, so do you suspect that there are any compatibility issues with BGEE 1.3?

I doubt it will make any difference. There wasn't much done with party AI in the 1.3 patch, if anything. So the BP series should still be relevant.

• NightWardenNightWarden Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2015
    @Belanos Thanks for the thorough answer. I will definiitely include Detectable Stats and Party AI in my game.

After additional searching, I found this http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13738/innate-spells-and-scripting. I must confess that my lack of technical knowledge made understanding this rather difficult, but I gather that @horredtheplague was attempting to address a problem that previously hadn't been addressed. Based on a reply from @CamDawg it appears that Beamdog was in the process of addressing the problem as well. I think I'll leave off the innate spell fixer until I learn more.