Skip to content

How to set resolution, GPU and UI?

I've just got a new laptop with a lovely Nvidia 970M GPU and a 1080p screen, but can't remember how you set the resolution the game plays in, nor the UI mode (scale/non-scaled) or how to set the default GPU (I'd rather use the Nivida chip than the integrated Intel HD 4600 one, which is the one listed in baldur.ini, but am unsure exactly what to put here) - can anyone help? Thanks

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited March 2015
    IIRC the game will automatically use the highest resolution available. You can choose to either scale the UI or not via the in-game Options.

You can force the game executable (Baldur.exe) to use the dedicated GPU via the Nvidia Graphics Properties menu, which is available if you download and install the drivers from their website.

You may not see a real difference, though, since the Intel onboard chip handles BG:EE's not-so-intensive 3D graphics quite well.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Kilivitz said:

IIRC the game will automatically use the highest resolution available. You can choose to either scale the UI or not via the in-game Options.

It doesn't seem to be using a very high resolution though, looks lower than the resolution I get on my old 13" Macbook Air (in Windows)!
    Kilivitz said:

You can force the game executable (Baldur.exe) to use the dedicated GPU via the Nvidia Graphics Properties menu, which is available if you download and install the drivers from their website.

Yes, I know how to do that, just wasn't sure if the graphics adaptor listed in baldur.ini would override that
    edited March 2015

just wasn't sure if the graphics adaptor listed in baldur.ini would override that

I'm pretty sure it won't. After doing that on my laptop (which also has Intel HD + GeForce) the Graphics option menu would list GeForce as the graphics adapter. Baldur.ini will be updated accordingly as the in-game settings take precedence.

Unless I'm wrong, of course.
    I just tried making my Nvidia GPU the preferred one in the Nvidia control panel, but the game still says it's using Intel graphics

Also I can't see where in the game options to have the UI scaled or not - it's not listed in the graphics options
    Figured it out now, I was selecting the wrong default GPU in the Nvidia control panel, doh! Seems to work okay now. Thanks for you help
    And in case you haven't found it, here's the Scale User Interface toggle.
    Kilivitz said:

And in case you haven't found it, here's the Scale User Interface toggle.

Thanks, though I did figure it out in the end, I always prefer *not* to scale the UI

I know using the Nvidia GPU won't make much difference the game, as it's mostly 2D, but every little helps!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure there'll be absolutely no improvement with using the discrete card, especially if you're playing at the default 30 fps. Even at 60 fps I don't think the integrated graphics would have any problem keeping up.