Skip to content

Having trouble with an F/M/C Solo: First Run

Baron_BathoryBaron_Bathory Member Posts: 46
Hey all!

First and foremost thanks a bunch for all the help. You guys have been awesome and I can scarcely believe that my favorite games in the world have this much of a following; and a knowledgeable one at that!

So this is my first time ever playing IWD 1. I purchased the EE a few days ago and it's been really fun. I know first play through should always be with a party, but this game isn't exactly BG2. A party in IWD doesn't provide the stimulation that only Jan Jansen & company can give me. I would much rather become insanely powerful and explode all enemies at will while experiencing an awesome story.

So anyways, due to the level cap vs BG's exp cap, I decided to take the obvious choice of F/M/C (Half Elf). I capped out Dex, Int, & Wis. Left Cha & Con at 10, and put strength at 12.

The beginning was excruciating. As soon as I got a couple of fighter and cleric levels, it got a bit better. I'm now able (4/4/4) to buff significantly and get most jobs done. But I have to avoid a good number of enemies. I'm just exploring the crypts east of Kuldahar now. Managed to kill the skeleton warrior and grab the key. Gonna head off the the main crypt tonight and see where it takes me.

Has anyone else had a lot of trouble in early fights? I'm playing core diff so the experience isn't incredible. I usually buff with DUHM, AoF, Aid, and Protection from Evil. Should I be using anything else to make this easier? I could probably throw a few arcane defences up but then I would have to sacrifice my armor. You guys & gals have any tips?

Thanks again!

Comments

• hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Only thing I can think of is some grinding. IWD is pretty good about spawning enemies to interrupt your rest and it's rather predictable what type will spawn where. Pick a place where you can't get swarmed (a dead end-narrow path) and grind.

With the sheer volume of bad guys that come at you in IWD many hit and run and stealthy tactics that work in BG battles just don't hang and a spellcaster is going to be really pressed to have enough firepower memorized to clear too much at one go.

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited March 2015
    I think casting Mirror Image right before putting on your armor could help a lot. Also, the mage spell Strength lasts a long time.
  • Baron_BathoryBaron_Bathory Member Posts: 46
    @hispls
    Hey thanks for the reply! Yeah I figured as much. The open area before the crypts with the yetis and the lesser shadows will probably be ideal for now as they give 350-420 experience each. Might soak a few levels before I try rest of the crypts.

Thanks so much!
    @joluv Yeah I guess I should definitely pre mage buff for the fights that I am able to. I have blur, I think I have to go buy MI. Thanks a lot!
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    FMC is definitely a character that benefits from a roll of 90ish to max out the first 5 stats (charisma can be 3).
    @Wowo

wow I didn't even know a roll of over 90 was possible. I think I settled on an 86. A 92 would let me also max out Str and still have Cha at 10 for role playing purposes. Con I could probably deal with at 10 as well. Is there a ring of human influance anywhere in this game that would allow me to dump Cha and still not be looked at in horror by every NPC? lol

@Wowo

wow I didn't even know a roll of over 90 was possible. I think I settled on an 86. A 92 would let me also max out Str and still have Cha at 10 for role playing purposes. Con I could probably deal with at 10 as well. Is there a ring of human influance anywhere in this game that would allow me to dump Cha and still not be looked at in horror by every NPC? lol

What purpose does a 10 charisma accomplish for role play?

No human influence ring but you do have the friends spell and the HP benefit from a decent con and the damage bonus from 18 base strength will make the game much more enjoyable.
    @Wowo

Right you are re: better strength making the game infinitely more enjoyable. As far as the role playing aspect, I guess I'm referring to the horror of having less than 10 cha in bg2. NPC's can get pretty damn nasty. As long as I don't end up paying double the price for items I guess its fine. I'll definitely re-roll regardless.

Thanks again!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Wowo 10 CHA only has a purpose for role play. You probably meant what purpose does it have for power play, which is none.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Honestly you could afford to drop wisdom to 10 or whatever as well since all you're missing is some additional spell casts per day. STR DEX CON and INT are really the big four with the FMC. That would be an achievable 92 roll with CHA and WIS at 10 for roleplay.

@Wowo 10 CHA only has a purpose for role play. You probably meant what purpose does it have for power play, which is none.

I said role play because I meant role play. Choosing to have a stat at an arbitrary number after artificially adjusting every other stat to maximum values wouldn't seem to qualify as role play.

I mean, if you did want to talk about role play then we need to think about why someone would choose to travel in one of the least hospitable environments on the face of faerun alone. Perhaps being a know-it-all who constantly points out others deepest fears and flaws without any consideration for their feelings might qualify. Perhaps the soloist is so ugly and unhygienic that no one else wants to travel with him.

Overall I think a solo character with 3 charisma is perfectly viable to role play.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    People like 10 because it represents the median. I know I don't tend to enjoy characters with below average stats so 10 is the minimum for any stat for me.
    @Wowo I didn't claim 3 wouldn't be viable to role play. You questioned the usefulness of 10 charisma for role play. I wanted to point out it does have a use for role play and only that. Why are you so aggressive?
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    in basic d&d 9 was the lowest of the median range. from 8 down you would incur penalties.

you can fudge having high str, if you know iwd a bit. Plenty of items (gloeves belts etc) that boost it.

Would be tuff working out where to find them with str under 15 tho.

@Wowo I didn't claim 3 wouldn't be viable to role play. You questioned the usefulness of 10 charisma for role play. I wanted to point out it does have a use for role play and only that. Why are you so aggressive?

I'm not aggressive. I'm pointing out the inconsistency of feeling that one stat should be a certain arbitrary value to satisfy some arbitrary conception of role play when other stats are set to maximum values.

There is one line that is crossed when determining stats as far as I can see and that's the line that you cross the very moment you hit those + and - buttons to create a set of stats that is almost completely unlikely to come out of the RNG.

If you want realistic stats to have a feeling of role play then try to generate stats for your character without hitting the + and - buttons. It can be very satisfying.
    @Wowo I don't think it's up to you to judge other people's role playing.

@Wowo I don't think it's up to you to judge other people's role playing.

A forum is all about evaluating our game choices, why should it be taboo whenever someone mentions "role play"?
    Thanks for all the help guys.

I rerolled another F/M/C and rolled a 91. Maxed str and 16 con and omg what a difference. I've been clearing everything with ease. I guess I could justify the 3 cha by intimidation factor and not necessarily appearance or hygiene. Probably should have made the character evil :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    lol My threads keep starting wars XD

Yeah I can't say I've ever played any character with less than 10 cha and I do prefer it for roleplaying. The purpose it serves is mostly peace of mind knowing everyone I talk to doesn't think im disgusting. That and vendor prices. But i guess in IWD it's not as noticeable as BG2 where the game is a lot less linear.

Thanks again all!
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166

@Wowo

Right you are re: better strength making the game infinitely more enjoyable. As far as the role playing aspect, I guess I'm referring to the horror of having less than 10 cha in bg2. NPC's can get pretty damn nasty. As long as I don't end up paying double the price for items I guess its fine. I'll definitely re-roll regardless.

Thanks again!

If it's any consolation, by the time you can afford to buy any good store items in IWD money isn't really an issue anymore and IIRC you'll be finding better stuff around the same time anyway. The curve of monetary loot starts off pathetic then really seems to take off exponentially.