Skip to content

Getting out of my comfort zone - SCS

Hi there, my almost beautiful people.

Recently, I've got an urge to start another playthrought of Baldur's Gate, this time with archer class and I've thought of doing something different than usual. Install SCS for some fresh experience. But there's a catch.

I am (usualy) heavy roleplaying player and as such I wouldn't want to rely on my meta knowledge too much when playing. But there is where SCS comes in. If I install all of the components, game's difficulty is going to be so great I'll have to cheese at least at times. So, my question is as following:

Which components should I install to enrich my gaming experience and not make me choice between roleplaying with a chore of a gameplay and using my meta knowledge? Any tips from much more experienced people than me would be welcomed.

Comments

• DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    Hi, SCS and roleplaying are perfectly compatible. In fact, I find the game easier to roleplay with smarter enemies. For instance you can no longer fight one foe at a time, which makes no sense from a roleplaying perspective anyway. Enemy archers will target your mages, which you do as well and is more realistic than targeting the first party member on sight. That's the idea.
    I would say install Improved general AI, better calls for help, (this 2 are a must), improved mages (option 3, no prebuff), improved clerics (same) and potions for NPC (you use them, why they shouldn't?). I would avoid improved battle components, but they are not that tough. Hope it helps
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    edited March 2015
    I had the same thoughts about SCS before I tried it for the first time last year. I went ahead and installed all of the components and to be honest, it wasn't about cheesing or meta gaming so much as being prepared for any eventuality. Which is roleplaying.

Those useless lightning resistance potions suddenly became useful. Wands were worth hanging on to. Almost everything can and should be used whenever it could make your life easier.

Really, the only encounter I had to meta away from early on was Silke. That one just isn't going to happen at level 1. But even that is fine when you think about it. You're level 1, and she isn't.

So yeah, you just need a slightly different mindset about using items and approaching enemies intelligently, but roleplaying is all still good.

EDIT: Mage and cleric prebuffing only when created on sight (which I felt was the most realistic option) wasn't working in BG:EE with SCS v28 so I had to use no prebuffing as Dexter suggests, else every mage was prebuffed. I haven't tested that option with v30 yet.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Thanks for bot @Dexter and @Hudzy for replies.

But Hudzy, shall I assume that your post is supposed to encourage me to install all of SCS as it is?
    edited March 2015
    @O_Bruce More to show that the changes don't require cheese so long as you take sensible precautions. I probably wouldn't advise SCS to a completely new player learning the basics, but SCS isn't mutually exclusive to roleplaying in my experience.

I actually skipped a few of the changes. Inquisitor dispel I keep at it's usual level. No short term prebuffing because I find that annoying and unrealistic. I kept +1 arrows and weapons because I like them. I kept arrows of dispelling but didn't end up using any. Most of the spell tweaks make sense though, and the AI will assume they're in place a lot of the time according to the readme.

I'd probably skip improved deployment of assassins since you could get caught unprepared for that and that sucks. The other tactical challenges were all fun and didn't need any cheese. Unless you consider prebuffing before a fight you logically can predict to be cheese of course.

There's a good guide to useful spells in SCS here.
    @Hudzy I see. Thought I don't think that guide would be so-useful in BG:EE as it is in BG2:EE.
  • TomarctusTomarctus Member Posts: 49
    I've recently started my first scs run as well. I found the mage prebuffing to be unrealistic and silly at times, but fights do tend to get more interesting. The problem I have with some fights is that you need to be fully rested for some of them, which takes away my sense of roleplaying (I dont sleep 3 times per 26 hours). But I reckon this'll be a lot less problematic if you take away the prebuffing (which I did use).

As stated above, some fights do get a lot more scary. especially in BG2EE, some fights just get ripped out context. The lich in Edwin's quest (which should be a weaker lich) started spamming level 8 spells at me which hurt alot with double damage. I've done quite a bit of BG2EE now with prebuffing, but I'm thinking of removing it for now. It just makes battles take a lot longer, without it being more fun.

so in short, I tend to agree with dexter about what to add. Makes fights more realistic without making them exponentially harder with spellcasters.
    Thank you all for your responses. From them I concluded that as long as I will leave out "Tactical Challenges" components, I should be okay.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2015
    If you want a challenge but not having to worry about cheese and stuff then just install the main component without adding any of the improved enemies. Just installing the main component will make the AI much smarter and correct mistakes with enemies HP and stats.

The original game should have had the main component of SCS installed without any of the other.

Improved mages is the most difficult enhancing component and if you do chose to install it, leave out the buffs on them.
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    edited March 2015
    SionIV said:

The original game should have had the main component of SCS installed without any of the other.

I think this is why it didn't:

"it rearranges creatures' choices of proficiencies and (where appropriate) high-level (non-spellcaster) abilities, assigns kits to some fighters and thieves who don't currently have them, and ensures that creatures have correct (or at any rate consistent!) saving throws, attack rolls, levels, and kit abilities. It will mostly affect fighters, thieves, and monsters without large numbers of special abilities."

This is a severe(relatively, of course) modification. Making enemies behave differently is one thing, but adding kits, proficiencies, etc, is something else.
    JoshBG said:

SionIV said:

I think this is why it didn't:

"it rearranges creatures' choices of proficiencies and (where appropriate) high-level (non-spellcaster) abilities, assigns kits to some fighters and thieves who don't currently have them, and ensures that creatures have correct (or at any rate consistent!) saving throws, attack rolls, levels, and kit abilities. It will mostly affect fighters, thieves, and monsters without large numbers of special abilities."

This is a severe(relatively, of course) modification. Making enemies behave differently is one thing, but adding kits, proficiencies, etc, is something else.
    It's correcting something that was flawed or unfinished in the game. It makes no sense that an enemy fighter has 23 less HP than he could have legally, got much worse saving throws and * in Longsword, Spear and Hammer when he uses an axe.
    But the kits, though?

It also makes all the mages Elminsters, but what if this or that mage should've been weak by design?

Although, I don't remember if general AI improvement enhances spell casters as well, or it's a specific component, so I'm may be wrong here.
    edited March 2015
    JoshBG said:

But the kits, though?

It also makes all the mages Elminsters, but what if this or that mage should've been weak by design?

Although, I don't remember if general AI improvement enhances spell casters as well, or it's a specific component, so I'm may be wrong here.

If i don't remember wrong some of the enemies already have kits, why not let others have them? All of the kits are legal in the game. Why aren't none of our NPC's weak by design then? Why only the enemy?

General AI improvement enhances the AI as in walking around and not sitting in a cloudkill, but it doesn't change the spells or abilities, then you'll have to install improved mages.
    I can understand it when it comes to proficences, but hps? Correct me if I'm wrong but normally you are rolling your hit points on level up, therefore you often end up having less of these than you could have. It's only logical same thing applies to enemies.

Max HP per level up is considered cheese by me, btw.
    O_Bruce said:

I can understand it when it comes to proficences, but hps? Correct me if I'm wrong but normally you are rolling your hit points on level up, therefore you often end up having less of these than you could have. It's only logical same thing applies to enemies.

Max HP per level up is considered cheese by me, btw.

We're talking about having less HP than is possible. If you're a level 2 fighter with 18 constitution you'll have a minimum of 5 HP per level , so 10 all in all. If that fighter has 8 HP it's not legal, because he have less than the minimum.

Same with proficiency points, a level 6 fighter should have 6 proficiency points to put into weapons of his choice. There are enemies in the game that have less than that.

A level 4 fighter should have 13/15/14/16/16 in saving throws, you'll see enemies with less or more.

SCS corrects many of these mistakes.
    Thank you for correction. It does make sense.
    edited March 2015
    I decided to give SCS another shot with a new CHARNAME, and once again it confirms for me that I shouldn't ever install any mods(even though I'm an "RP-guy", I LOVE challenge), because their creators don't know what they're doing.

Usually I'm running straight to Gorion after equipping myself, but this time an idea to check the assassin occurred to me, and he's truly that - an assassin. He applies assassin's special ability (poison) and uses invisibility+backstab. There was no way I could've saved the character, as you can imagine.

I spent 1 hour to create this character, but it's not the point. The point is, Bioware specifically stated that it's a design choice to make these NPCs very low-threat, not some inability, and they made them look like some lowlife trash, not trained killers.

Sadly, 99% of modders don't understand the meaning of "challenging". I'm sure SCS is plagues by such examples. And about "SCS is better for RP that the original" - haha. Sure, sure.

Well, there goes my little rant.
    edited March 2015
    JoshBG said:

I decided to give SCS another shot with a new CHARNAME, and once again it confirms for me that I shouldn't ever install any mods(even though I'm an "RP-guy", I LOVE challenge), because their creators don't know what they're doing.

Usually I'm running straight to Gorion after equipping myself, but this time an idea to check the assassin occurred to me, and he's truly that - an assassin. He applies assassin's special ability (poison) and uses invisibility+backstab. There was no way I could've saved the character, as you can imagine.

I spent 1 hour to create this character, but it's not the point. The point is, Bioware specifically stated that it's a design choice to make these NPCs very low-threat, not some inability, and they made them look like some lowlife trash, not trained killers.

Sadly, 99% of modders don't understand the meaning of "challenging". I'm sure SCS is plagues by such examples. And about "SCS is better for RP that the original" - haha. Sure, sure.

Well, there goes my little rant.

You're talking about Carbos and Shank, right?

Every single class in the game can kill them under SCS, you just need to use your abilities instead of attacking them with a quarterstaff you're not proficient with. They still have very low health so pretty much everyone can one shot them, rogues can backstab, clerics can use command and wizards can sleep them. They are just like any rogue you would create on your own, they have the same abilities, just worse stats and the fact that they have an AI means you know what they will do. Everything is in your favor when it comes to this fight.

The thing with SCS is that it forces you to THINK and use a good a TACTIC to get past the battles. There is no more running into the enemy with your fighters and throw a damage spell or two. It requires you to focus on defense as much as offense, and you'll learn that shutting down people with fear, sleep and hold spells is much more efficient than using damage spells.

SCS is better for RP than the original because it forces you to actually play the game instead of having it on autopilot.
    edited March 2015
    Just to point out: I bought Baldur's Gate in 1998 and I still have the original box. I know the game inside out and I cheesed the hell out of it. I know about proficiency :wink:

It's not about killing him; he's as squishy as before. The point is: if he manages to apply poison, the characters with 12 or less HP, without means to heal themselves, are dead. If you fail the saving throw, only the Barbarian can survive. There's nothing tactical about it.

Sure, you can grab/steal the healing potion/antidote beforehand, just to be sure, but this is meta-game cheese. And meta-game cheese is bad for RP.
    edited March 2015
    JoshBG said:

Just to point out: I bought Baldur's Gate in 1998 and I still have the original box. I know the game inside out and I cheesed the hell out of it. I know about proficiency :wink:

It's not about killing him; he's as squishy as before. The point is: if he manages to apply poison, the characters with 12 or less HP, without means to heal themselves, are dead. If you fail the saving throw, only Barbarian can survive. There's nothing tactical about it.

Sure, you can grab/steal the healing potion/antidote, but this is meta-game cheese. And meta-game cheese is bad for RP.

They both have horrible Thac0 and if you land one blow on him, he'll die. You're much more likely to land a blow on him than he is to hit you, so the poison isn't that dangerous. It also only lasts for a certain amount of time, so you can evade him until it runs out.

The people who might have a problem hitting him (Mage, Rogue, Cleric) can use spells or abilities to easily defeat him. For the other classes it's just apply weapon to face.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    JoshBG said:

(...)

Because you know better than them right? You have no idea what you're talking about

lansounet said:

JoshBG said:

Because you know better than them right? You have no idea what you're talking about

Not a slightest idea? And you know this how, exactly?

Well, If you know what you're talking about, you probably can explain why there's a random possibility to die without any chance of surviving(in certain circumstances)? IN TUTORIAL, basically. Some classes wouldn't even notice the change, for others it can be very painful. What "challenge" it brings? Running around in circles?

On the other hand, it maybe too broad. I'm speaking from personal experience. After beating the trilogy dozens of times, I was LOOKING for more challenge. "Tactics" was really enjoyable at first, but it quickly became apparent what there's a difference between challenging and tedious. It's quite easy to win over the player.

Also, the role-playing aspect of the... well... role-playing game was becoming more and more interesting, and with that comes "pickiness" over smallest details.
    I still think if you're willing to accept failure or reloading as a potential outcome of being unprepared then SCS does support roleplaying.

Two pretty rough guys get sent in to assassinate a welp with no real combat experience. The likely outcome of that is death, and it'll probably happen the first time you meet them if you get unlucky with the poison. But you can't realistically treat it as a tutorial scenario with SCS. Vanilla it's a tutorial for first timers and insultingly easy for anyone else. Nobody's a first timer installing SCS though. Or at least, it's not intended for people who don't already have experience with the game.

So as a class without the THAC0 and/or AC to stand up to this guy, realistically, and roleplaying, you might just get the hell out of there instead of being a hero.
    *grabs popcorn*
    edited March 2015
    JoshBG said:

lansounet said:

JoshBG said:

Not a slightest idea? And you know this how, exactly?

Well, If you know what you're talking about, you probably can explain why there's a random possibility to die without any chance of surviving(in certain circumstances)
    Isn't this the whole point of roleplaying? That it's realistic?

How exactly is removing any random chance of dying going to increase the roleplay value?

There are no tutorials in roleplaying, the moment you wake up in candlekeep it'll be a fight for your life.

To me this post sounds a lot like: "I want to be able to defeat all my enemies, but if there is any chance at all that they can retaliate, defeat me or use the same abilities that i can, it's not roleplay anymore!"

Post edited by SionIV on
    Hudzy said:

I still think if you're willing to accept failure or reloading as a potential outcome of being unprepared then SCS does support roleplaying.

Two pretty rough guys get sent in to assassinate a welp with no real combat experience. The likely outcome of that is death, and it'll probably happen the first time you meet them if you get unlucky with the poison. But you can't realistically treat it as a tutorial scenario with SCS. Vanilla it's a tutorial for first timers and insultingly easy for anyone else. Nobody's a first timer installing SCS though. Or at least, it's not intended for people who don't already have experience with the game.

So as a class without the THAC0 and/or AC to stand up to this guy, realistically, and roleplaying, you might just get the hell out of there instead of being a hero.

It doesn't really work. My character was a swashbuckler, and I didn't "roleplay" a coward. Both Shank and Carbos are(should've been) some level 1 trash. So "Ruuun" is even more ridiculous. If you're making them trained assassins, at least adjust their dialogues.

JoshBG said:

Hudzy said:

It doesn't really work. My character was a swashbuckler, and I didn't "roleplay" a coward. Both Shank and Carbos are(should've been) some level 1 trash. So "Ruuun" is even more ridiculous. If you're making them trained assassins, at least adjust their dialogues.

First of all this has nothing to do with roleplay and secondly CHARNAME is just as much a level 1 trash as they are.

And why is running ridiculous? You have been living a sheltered life without any danger and now you're having a person trying to kill you, running would make more sense than anything else.

As i said, this has nothing to do with roleplay, and everything to do with you expecting the computer to be trash and your CHARNAME to be invincible.
    SionIV said:

Isn't this the whole point of roleplaying? That it's realistic?

How exactly is removing any random chance of dying going to increase the roleplay value?

There are no tutorials in roleplaying, the moment you wake up in candlekeep it'll be a fight for your life.

To me this post sounds a lot like: "I want to be able to defeat all my enemies, but if there is any chance at all that they can retaliate, defeat me or use the same abilities that i can, it's not roleplay anymore!"

To me this post sounds like : "I'm a SCS supporter and I'll defend it "to the death" no matter what".

Please, keep it civil and don't assume the role of a psychologist/telepathist.

In the real life, you'd wake up in your house/apartment/etc and will go about your daily life. The RL has nothing to do with it; it's a game with good and bad design choices.
    SionIV said:

First of all this has nothing to do with roleplay and secondly CHARNAME is just as much a level 1 trash as they are.

And why is running ridiculous? You have been living a sheltered life without any danger and now you're having a person trying to kill you, running would make more sense than anything else.

As i said, this has nothing to do with roleplay, and everything to do with you expecting the computer to be trash and your CHARNAME to be invincible.

As I said, stop assuming.

So it's "RP" or nothing to do with "RP"? You don't seem to follow your own line.

And you're really forcing this idea of running. What about choices? Again - you're about RP or not? It's not very clear. He can even kill a paladin if he's lucky. Should this paladin start running around as well? Just to be sure.

edited March 2015
    JoshBG said:

SionIV said:

As I said, stop assuming.

So it's "RP" or nothing to do with "RP"? You don't seem to follow your own line.

And you're really forcing this idea of running. What about choices? Again - you're about RP or not? It's not very clear. He can even kill a paladin if he's lucky. Should this paladin start running around as well? Just to be sure.

I'm not going to discus this with you, If you're having problem with Shank and Carbos then that is fine, but it has nothing to do with roleplay. If you want to be able to defeat Shank and Carbos, may i advice you to use a Cavalier? That way you're immune to the poison.

And if you ever get past Candlekeep, watch out for Silke, she is actually a high level Bard with almost no scribed spells in the original game, all they did with SCS was assign her the spells she should have scribed.

This will be the last of me in this thread, good luck everyone, and all hail Shank and Carbos, the slayers of Bhaalspawn!

Well, "don't let the door hit you", as they say. And be more coherent next time.

It's funny how you try to push this "oh, it's difficult for you" line, wehn in reality SCS isn't near as brutal as. say, "Tactics", and the dissussion has nothing to do with difficulty per se.