Skip to content

[Request] Multiplayer Enhancement -beacons/pings/target indicators

HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
Allow players to select another players character (spellcasters), and then select a spell. This could then pop-up a bubble text saying 'Please cast heal on me!' or 'Please cast fireball on guard!'. This way players can advise their casters on what spells they want/need. (Also casters generally spend the most time in pause thinking about their spells, it lets fighter characters join the process rather than sitting and waiting while the mage or cleric umms and ahhhs).

You might say this kind of discussion should take place over voice chat, but bear in mind that not all players will have access to that, and even voice chatting can't indicate the precise spot you want your ally's fireball to land.

I think this is the kind of thing which would really take multiplayer to another level (of excellence).
AlejandroSpjuv3rn

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Another feature that would be an interesting "configurable option" in single player as well. If it's not the CharName, any direction you give to other members of your party occur in a "suggested action" manner. For the most part, the action takes place immediately - but a caster won't interrupt his spellcasting to heal you, for example, and it also means that your casters don't *have* to be always at your specific direction.

It would require a bit more AI to implement in single-player, but I'd kind of really like it if my party's mage knew enough about his abilities to cast Magic Missile BEFORE drawing his dagger and marching into combat with the umber hulk.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    I think that's generally a very important concept which BG is missing, queuing commands. Someone asked for this on the reddit, as on occasion you want your caster to cast a series of spells and it's tedious to have to select one, then the next, especially where for example you are casting healing spells on your party members.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Although not everyone will have access to voice chat (unless it comes bundled with BGEE somehow like an improved Roger Wilco), there is always text chat. Leaving aside the level of scripting this would require, it makes the assignment of NPCs to different players somewhat irrelevant. I'm not voting it down though since really I don't have enough multiplayer experience to know how helpful this would be. It sounds actually a bit like the dialogue-based tactics you can set for your NWN NPC- or the DAO tactics for that matter, but with the DAO form you really can setup their actions in a priority system regardless of player intervention.