Skip to content

Composite Longbow question.

KhoryaceKhoryace Member Posts: 79
While it may seem a dumb question, I'm still going to ask it.
Why are Composite Longbows in BG requiring 18 str but in IWD they only require 15?

So there is no point in having more than 16 str with a ranger...?

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    BG and IWD rules are slightly different. Because reasons.

Rangers aren't necessarily ranged-only, if you ever plan on going melee you may want more STR for better damage/THAC0. But if you're sure that you'll only ever use bows/xbows and aren't worried about carry weight then yes, you can lower your STR.
  • KhoryaceKhoryace Member Posts: 79
    never the str bonuses are applied to ranged damage, right? Even Shortbows? I'm slightly confused, I thought str added dmg to shortbows but not longbows.
    edited March 2015
    Bows and Crossbows of any type gain no damage or thac0 whatsoever from STR.

Thrown weapons and Slings might, though, not up to date on how they work in IWD.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    This has been a notoriously inconsistent issue, but I think (feel free to correct me) that the strength bonuses have stabilized to:

Slings, throwing daggers, throwing axes, throwing hammers: damage bonus but no THAC0 bonus
    Darts, bows, crossbows: no bonus to damage or THAC0
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    joluv said:

This has been a notoriously inconsistent issue, but I think (feel free to correct me) that the strength bonuses have stabilized to:

Slings, throwing daggers, throwing axes, throwing hammers: damage bonus but no THAC0 bonus
    Darts, bows, crossbows: no bonus to damage or THAC0

Thac0 bonus/penalty with missile weapons get taken from dexterity.

You get the strength damage bonus added to throwing weapons and slings, but no Thac0 bonus.
    SionIV said:

You get the strength damage bonus added to throwing weapons

(Except darts)
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I'm still disappointed in whoever decided darts should look like game darts rather than actual martial darts, which were more like short spears (but still too big to be an arrow).
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited March 2015
    scriver said:

I'm still disappointed in whoever decided darts should look like game darts rather than actual martial darts, which were more like short spears (but still too big to be an arrow).

...guess thats an error made in the 70s ....Mages could use darts.(basic d&d) Suspect if the original designers realised the proper size of the dart, then this would have been considered too martial. OR Perhaps am doing them a diservice and they knew exactly what they looked like....?

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    In the 70s magic users (MU) could also use scissors, which where quite effective if you ran with them. But I always preferred my Exceedingly Sharp Pencil +1.
    Fardragon said:

Exceedingly Sharp Pencil +1.

Upgradable by Cespenar to Exceedingly Sharp Pencil +2B.
    To be fair, pencils are reportedly mightier than swords, so there's that.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    joluv said:

Fardragon said:

Exceedingly Sharp Pencil +1.

Upgradable by Cespenar to Exceedingly Sharp Pencil +2B.
    Psst, 'H' pencils are harder than 'B'. http://pencils.com/hb-graphite-grading-scale/

Engineering nerdery AWAY!

*sees self out*
    DreadKhan said:

Psst, 'H' pencils are harder than 'B'. http://pencils.com/hb-graphite-grading-scale/

Now I understand why 2H swords do so much damage.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    joluv said:

DreadKhan said:

Now I understand why 2H swords do so much damage.
    Mind = blown