Skip to content

Darts

Does the strength bonus apply to darts?

Does anybody bother using darts in BG:EE?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    No

I give mages them.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    To be honest I never bothered with them until I met Baeloth when (iirc) his weapon proficiencies practically forced me to find darts for him. That was when I realised that there's a huge array of mage-disrupting darts that can be used to great effect.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    No strength bonus, but weapon master and the belt of extraordinary weapon mastery apply, so you can get +4 hit/+7 damage bonus, in addition to magical dart bonus, attacking 5x/round (without haste) by the end of the game, if you play a straight fighter. Weapon Mastery actually requires dual classing to get the 5th pip, the best I have actually done is 4* with a halfling fighter, and it was a lot of fun. You quickly max-out your effectiveness in BG2 though, especially if you take an early jump into Watcher's Keep for a special +3 dart that returns on each throw, which is essentially the best weapon in the game for you. There are also more monsters that will be immune or highly resistant to darts. Still a lot of fun, but you lean more on the party.
  • ElysiumElysium Member Posts: 28
    One of the more beastly F->M's that I ever made came from having Grandmastery in darts, so she would be extremely valuable as ranged. Like GreenWarlock said.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Darts are absurdly good in BG1, especially if you can toss in either some level of Mastery (from *** to *****), Poison Weapon or even just the Gauntlets, as mentioned.

With GM and Gauntlets, a fighter does 9-11 damage per +1 Dart, and things get very shenanigany with Wounding, Stunning or Poison Weapon. Assassin to Fighter is truly a terror with darts, but with the cap, he only can hit 4 pips unless you dual early. However, Assassin grants +1 to hit and damage! Fun fun! I have soloed Sarevok with darts, was easier than my sling using Cleric solo. ;)

A non-Berserker Druid can inflict good damage using GM in darts, and can wound/stun to boot.