Skip to content

deflecting being hopeless

ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
Am a terminal case.....

AM exp farmin in burial isle on hof mode and am getting really sick of those banshees!

How do I stop them immobilising me(hopelessness) ? I dont have clr in grp, am i stumped?

the aoe damage thingthey cast is tricky but less of a problem.

Am kinda relying on summoning undead against them atmo, but its rather slow dps.

Just for fun & frolics, I suppose I could use the demon from the armour suit against them.....?

Tried out the lvl 9 ? pitfiend summon on them but they were still able to mez it with hoplessness! which was extremely annoying!

appart from the wailing vrgin cloak.....what else can i use against them?

Am using skellys to melee them and dps them down at range from archers, but its clunky as the drowned dead munch through the skellys fairly fast.

tried using domination/feeblemind on them, but in hof mode it doesnt work; they resist it most of the time.

other ideas plz? am guessing theres a cleric spell blocks the wail, kinda hoping theres an int caster on too ??

which resist i need to boost to block the aoe damage thing? at one point there was 6 of them on me ....that aoe really stacked up!! they have a nasty habit of running away and comming back with their mates...pfffft women stickin together....whod have thunk it?!!

[have the mace 3 doves, but its got only 20%? chance of spankin them] isnt enough when fighting 2+ at once.

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited March 2015
    Have you tried Chaotic Commands?

Edit: Oh, do you not have a cleric? Sorry, I didn't understand that.
    Post edited by joluv on
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Assuming it is mechanically "symbol hopelessness" it's conjuration/summoning so perhaps spell immunity vs. that school will work, though I don't know if or where that's available for your mage in IWD.

I'd think that the 4th level mage spell "emotion hope" would help as well. I generally threw that in with my pre-fight buffs through the game.

Generally speaking Chaotic Commands is probably ideal but without a priest that's not going to happen. Also berserker rage should ignore such effects.

Summoned undead should be more of a meat shield than damage dealing anyway.

Frankly considering the amount of undead in IWD it's really silly to play without priest or paladin IMO.
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited March 2015
    `Frankly considering the amount of undead in IWD it's really silly to play without priest or paladin IMO.`

I agree it was a wacky choice! tbh i felt on my first playthrough I wasnt using those 2 classes much, however I now find ive substituted balance for dps.....gonna come unstuck at some point; most likely when fighting the boss mobs.

My lack of knowledge of the kits, failed me, as I could have chosen more variety.

PLaying through IWD HOF is a real grindfest, so it seemed a good plan to have my dps as high as possble.

F/M/T seems the hghest dps combo, unless am missing someting? I dont feel like doing a mage/cleric combo....as I find pure casters too dull. Standing at the back throwing spells about all the time is too boring for my liking.

Am finding it tough to get 2x FMT into position tho....one of them rarely gets the backstabs off. SO ive ended up, heavy on the thief with neand heavy on caster(summoning meat shields) with tother one.

Its keepin me entertained tho )

thanks for your insights btw!
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

AM exp farmin in burial isle on hof mode

Why?
    has a fast respawn of 14k exp mobs

best spot ive found so far.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    hispls said:

Don't you mean *bone* shield?

http://www.instantrimshot.com
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Kilivitz said:

hispls said:

Don't you mean *bone* shield?

http://www.instantrimshot.com
    Indeed, though IIRC on the original CD copy of IWD, pre-patch your summoned undead level up with your character so eventually you're summoning drowned dead yourself :smiley:
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    2 characters only? FMC+FMT is much stronger.

I'd recommend to skip past burial isle and finish the expansion up to going to see the boss and then do trials of the lure master. You can skip past any difficult fights with invisibility.

Once you've done that the rest of the game is pretty trivial.

has a fast respawn of 14k exp mobs

best spot ive found so far.

But what do you intend to do with the xp when you've got it?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Srsly. These games are not designed to force you to grind. Just play it through, and enjoy it!

piss off! ill enjoy the game anyway I want to thanks pal.

However, I did catch myself thinkin that I was approaching it in a very everquest like mentality.

My main char Rumplestyltskyn.FMT. is lookin to hit 25+ so i can blast through the wholething.

I dont give a toss about completing it up to the boss mob. Its more fun blowing away the hordes of mobs on a run through. (HOF mode)
    Whatever floats your boat, but you do realise Burial Isle is pretty much the toughest part of the game? I thought farming involved fighting something that you could kill quickly and easily, not something arguably harder than the end boss.
    edited March 2015
    well tbh i came here cos, its the only zone that seems to repop within 30hrs.(12hrs even) ... rinse & repeat!

Havent found another zone that seems to have an endless repop. Also it seems kinda atmospheric....or maybe its just my goth tendency coming to the fore. Chillin in graveyards FTW !

IS there another? (repop zone)

https://youtu.be/OKRJfIPiJGY
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    One decent strategy to take them down is to pull them onto the island and then dimension door over to the Shamans little island and then nuke then with impunity.

Otherwise can choke them up just near the tower.

IS there another? (repop zone)

Quite a few of the zones have a portion of mobs that respawn, but it is quicker to move onto the next fully populated zone (or simply mod the game to give yourself a few million extra xp).
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited March 2015
    During my last run, I kept Emotion:Hope active at all times by habit as part of my pre-buffing routine, and I never had a single Emotion:Hopeless affect my party through all of the banshees in the expansion, (or anywhere in the main campaign where enemies use it), so I'm pretty sure Emotion:Hope is the counterspell the OP needs. That's a mage spell, so the lack of a cleric doesn't stop your access to it.
    edited March 2015
    Fardragon said:

(or simply mod the game to give yourself a few million extra xp).
    erm thats cheatin......I cuoldnt possibly do that!

want to have some fun while am levelling.

got my main FMT up to 16/16/19. Heading back to main IWD story for a change of scene. Think i cleared he underneath part of the isle about 10 or 12 times, didnt keep an exact count.

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

want to have some fun while am levelling.

Think i cleared he underneath part of the isle about 10 or 12 times, didnt keep an exact count.

www.luvbanshees.com

SOme professional help for mental wearyness.....

dont let those spooks drag you down! gotta be a pop song in that somewhere?!

Hope you feel better soon )
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    All this MMO terminology (DPS, grinding) in an Infinity Engine game makes me eyeroll, to be honest.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Yeah same...I've never understood it since levels above 9-10 are basically empty unless you're a prime caster. And even then you don't actually need that many/high level spells to get the job done if you're using'em properly.

If you're gonna grind, just save yourself some time and cheat the xp, since grinding even in it's best light is hardcore cheese/exploitive.

but whatever.....it's your time to waste.