Skip to content

How hard is it to recruit Neera? (And keep her happy)

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
I had always assumed that you can pick up Neera at the second encounter inside Athkatla... Now I see that I must meet her in the Wild Forest (why must it be so far away! I guess I'll just pretend it is much closer) and she asks for help to reach the Hidden Refuge...

My question are:

1) How hard is it to get there? (i.e. how difficult is the Wild Forest)
2) If I just pick up Neera and immediately leave to do other stuff, will it cause a problem? (I could justify it as "we're not ready to tackle those defenses yet")
3) Once I get there, does it trigger further time sensitive (mechanically and roleplay-wise) quests? And if so how difficult are they?

Since Neera is supposed to be part of the "A team" for this playthrough, I had wanted to get her asap, but depending on the answers to the above questions, I might wait until at least I have some equipment and experience from the Slavers and De'Arnise Keep.

Oh, please avoid plot spoilers if possible! I have completed BG2, but not Neera's content.

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited March 2015
    1) Very easy, takes around 10min
    2) I don't know, but once you reach the second map (just after you went through wild forest) you have to speak to a specific person to get the next quest, meaning you can just go there, and not speak to that person, not to begin the second part of the quest
    3) As I said just before, I do not believe it is the case as you have to speak to a specific person. At least I never had Neera complaining between the moment I arrive to the next map and the moment I speak to that person, and twice I did Temple ruin quest and DeArnise Quest before speaking to this person.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited March 2015
    In my last run-through I had to manage Dorn's and Hexxat's quests in parallel with Neera's and hers was the one that I could put on hold at certain times - it still got fairly hectic though as the party effectively mutinied and scuppered any long term strategies I'd foolishly thought I could impose on them.

Edit: Neera must be easy to keep happy given that she was travelling with Viconia, Dorn, Hexxat, Korgan and a Chaotic Neutral Berserker.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Heindrich - yes, the Wild Forest is mostly about ground traps. You'd take quite a lot of damage if you just tanked them all, but everything else on that map is very easy if you move cautiously, detecting and disarming the traps before you step on them.

Once you get through the Wild Forest and reach the camp, then it's already been said that none of the numerous mini-quests offered at the camp are mechanically time-sensitive. However, a couple of them might seem urgent from a role-playing perspective. Unfortunately, the one which perhaps might sound the most urgent is actually the one you need to do last, because completing that one triggers the next stage of Neera's plotline, which immediately terminates any of the other mini-quests (which haven't yet been completed) with a fail, and that not only denies you the completion reward for those mini-quests but also has an additional undesirable consequence later in Neera's plotline.
  • reap_iireap_ii Member Posts: 43
    Keep her and Edwin away from each other and she will stay happy.
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    Pretty easy. Just keep her away from Edwin. Since Edwin is Thayan wizard. Neera is very affectionate half elf and a wonderful scripted character. Her and Viconia are my favourites to romance.