Skip to content

Helmet of Opposite Alignment

ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
For years I thought this helmet could not be found in the game, that it was simply a myth or the developers decided to cut it from the game eventually. It wasn't until recently when I learned that it can be obtained indeed.

I've read somewhere that it can only be obtained by defeating the Demon Knight at Durlag's Tower, when you meet him the first time at the lower levels. It is a bit tricky but not impossible at all. Some might say it is cheating, but this is the only known way to get hold of that helmet.

My question is, can anyone confirm this? Also, does anyone has a clue whether it will be the same in BGEE?

A similar question for BG2. Is there any item with the same effect (change of alignment) in BG2?

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Oh no, I distinctly remember having that in my inventory at one point during TOTSC - didn't really have any use for it, but it was there. Of course, I was using the Tweaks/Fixpack and BGT, so that might have been the cause.
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 134
    Well, there is no item exactly in BG 2, but if you do any of the evil acts while breaking the seal's prior to final fight with John Irenicus, your alligment changed directly to neutral evil
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    With the Aurora's Shoes and Boots mod (both in BG and BG2), she sells a pair of boots that will reverse your alignment.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I've no idea where to get this item in-game.

There, with my contribution to this thread done, on to the off topics;
    I've always wanted a Helm of Opposite Alignment in my pen and paper games... The DC for resisting the effect is only 14 which is easily resisted but if you're lucky you can ram it on a Balor and have it either explode because it now contradicts its own nature or have a giant Lawful Good demon by your side.
    Joy!
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    you get it by buying it afaik, i think at the friendly arms inn?
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Does the helmet have any other features other than changing alignment (other than preventing critical hits)? I usually play True Neutral, so it wouldn't really affect my PC.
    @Awong: Nope. And honestly, even changing alignment doesn't do much in this particular game, since Reputation works on a different scale altogether and NPCs don't react any differently to you...
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    shawne said:

@Awong: Nope. And honestly, even changing alignment doesn't do much in this particular game, since Reputation works on a different scale altogether and NPCs don't react any differently to you...

Well, the reason I want this helmet is to change Viconia's alignment from evil to good, so I can (hopefully) keep her in my "good guys" party even with heroic reputation. At least this is the plan...
    AHF said:

I can confirm this. Hit the Demon Knight with a wand of paralyzation and you can get it. Otherwise, he will be in and out too quickly to defeat.

Thanks!
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    @Scofield Why not just turn the alignments of the whole rest of the party, much more fun that way :D
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    shawne said:

Oh no, I distinctly remember having that in my inventory at one point during TOTSC - didn't really have any use for it, but it was there. Of course, I was using the Tweaks/Fixpack and BGT, so that might have been the cause.

It was the cause indeed. They restored a lot of lost items with that.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    AHF said:

I can confirm this. Hit the Demon Knight with a wand of paralyzation and you can get it. Otherwise, he will be in and out too quickly to defeat.

Will definitely try this out.
    Scofield said:

shawne said:

Well, the reason I want this helmet is to change Viconia's alignment from evil to good, so I can (hopefully) keep her in my "good guys" party even with heroic reputation. At least this is the plan...
    Okey, you do know that in BG 2 you CAN turn her allignment into good? She actually changes because of you and your actions, she directly asks you do you want her to change, and if you say yes, presto, you have neutral good Vico
    @Duron: True, but that wouldn't stop her from quitting the party in BG1 if Scofield's reputation goes above 18...
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    I always cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere on the demonknight and savagely beat him unconscious with my characters attacking with their fists, once the sphere ends I had them attack with their weapons.

He also has Full Plate +1, so the helmet of opposite alignment is just a bonus. Reform Dorn if you'd like.
    @Duron Yeah, I know but as far as I remember it takes a very long time.

@Isair I'll probably do that, Rasaad will take care of the boxing match. Actually I am thinking about getting both Vicy and Dorn, so even if I get this helmet, it will only solve my alignment issue partially.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Isair is spot on, his method is how I've done it once or twice.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I think Otiluke's Resilient Sphere as a method shouldn't work on the BG2 engine. Tried it in Tutu and Trilogy, definitely didn't work. God knows if it'll work on BGEE though.
    Scofield said:

@Duron Yeah, I know but as far as I remember it takes a very long time.

Indeed it does, but honestly, I prefer her to decide on her own to change. It feels like an acomplishment like that, like this I feel like I stole her life.
    @Duron I understand your point, but I play as a Paladin who forces good upon everyone so poor Vicky doesn't really have a choice. It is more like "We can do it the hard way and the easy way, which one is gonna be Vick?" :]

Btw, I tend to have one or two evil NPCs in my party most of the time, because there are some evil NPCs with exceptional (and hilarious) personalities who add a lot to my gaming experience, and from role-playing point of view, it's nice to hear the opinion of the "evil" as well, to be able to make the wisest decision.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    Failing that I'll set some traps and launch into melee when he shows up. It'd be much more amusing to force the helmet of opposite alignment onto Tiax, turn him crazy sane for law & righteousness.

I quite often play netural evil PCs so maybe I'll find some goodie-twoshoes to yeild to my will.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Does the Otilukes/wand method still work to obtain this helm? I was thinking it might be a good way to get 2 good wizards (Imoen and Dynaheir) with archmagi robes as afaik there is only 1 good robe.

Will this work?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    @Wowo Otilukes doesn't work anymore, but greater malison and wand of paralyzing does (although I reloaded many times before I succeeded and I think it was Yeslick's hold person what did it in the end).
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Pecca said:

@Wowo Otilukes doesn't work anymore, but greater malison and wand of paralyzing does (although I reloaded many times before I succeeded and I think it was Yeslick's hold person what did it in the end).

Fun thing to try anyway.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I've done this twice now. On my latest game I had Viconia cast Doom (was still too low a level for Greater Malison), then had Edwin and Baeloth both uses Wands of Paralysation. He got paralysed on the second hit. Didn't even have to reload =/
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    nice tacts! :-D
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I never killed the Demon Knight in our first meeting. When does Helm of Opposite Alignment change the alignment: after equiping it or while it is equiped?

To my knowledge, there is no such item in BG2. It should stay in BG1 only where it cannot change the outcome of the story.
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Djimmy said:

I never killed the Demon Knight in our first meeting. When does Helm of Opposite Alignment change the alignment: after equiping it or while it is equiped?

To my knowledge, there is no such item in BG2. It should stay in BG1 only where it cannot change the outcome of the story.

It works while it's equipped, like every other cursed item.