Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited May 2017
    CrevsDaak said:

The Mantle scroll got created by a Wild Surge: What's this in my pocket? I had no idea that could happen. I am yet unsure of what to do with this scroll, since I will never be able to cast level 7 spells

@CrevsDaak Sophie's a wild mage - which means she can cast any spell she knows via level 1 :).
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

@UnderstandMouseMagic Thanks for the update. I think in general, no reload appeals to us veterans (for myself, I've probably beaten BG 1 50+ times - Grond0 maybe 200 times) - there's much more excitement, in that forgetting about an enemy that casts hold person could end your run, or being a thief or mage and getting the all archer ambushes at level 1 makes it much more interesting. It doesn't lend itself to a continual story though, which I understand is where your angle is. It takes a bit of fortitude to start from the beginning, especially if your died near the end like in ToB, and that doesn't appeal to everyone. Grond0 did his wild mage 100+ no reload before he got a trilogy success.

Best of luck with your future endeavors.

You're right, it's the story aspect taking over that has caused the most problems. I can keep myself alive, and did, but if you are running a story, having a character chunked is a bit of a disaster. And there is the temptation to have your Charname hiding up the back, round a corner, along the road, anywhere but in the fight.

I've never been so cowardly as this BG run, lol.
    CrevsDaakWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 995
    @UnderstandMouseMagic said:
    ... And there is the temptation to have your Charname hiding up the back, round a corner, along the road, anywhere but in the fight.

I'm not sure I'd call that a temptation - that's a real and sometimes necessary strategy. With my pure mage runs, they would always cast invisibility on any ambush with 1 or more archers - and then do NOTHING while the rest of the party mopped up the ambush. I used to fight, but that often led to the hand in the air, which caused to me to prioritize defense for my mages to give them at least a fighting chance.
    CrevsDaakWise_Grimwald
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Pokota said:

Grond0 said:

CrevsDaak said:

The Mantle scroll got created by a Wild Surge: What's this in my pocket? I had no idea that could happen. I am yet unsure of what to do with this scroll, since I will never be able to cast level 7 spells

@CrevsDaak Sophie's a wild mage - which means she can cast any spell she knows via level 1 :).
    Pretty sure I already proved that to be a two-edged sword.
    Wow!
    A Gate in Candlekeep at lvl 1!

Sorry, missed that. That was certainly headline-worthy.
    Grond0CrevsDaakMantis37JuliusBorisov
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,837
    Grond0 said:

CrevsDaak said:

Whilst you may not be able to remember the spell, you should be able to cast it. In ToSC you can get cloudkill spells and if you are a multi-class mage you won't be able to memorise it unless you have the level cap raised/disabled. However you can cast it. I would imagine that the same applies for this scroll.
    CrevsDaak
    ussnorway said:

Tag-1,

so far, so good,

I’m giving my other sister a go this time... is it just me or are all his female children thieves?
    Congrats on beating the big guy. All the best in Dragonspear. :) Also you @Corey_Russell. :)
    I am also currently in Dragonspear with my Drow Blackguard. Will post about how she got there when I have a spare hour or two.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovBlackraven
    Thanks @Wise_Grimwald - I'm sure I'll die some horrible death in Dragonspear, but that's why I intend to keep going until I get it - or give up I guess, if I take 10+ reloads in a single encounter.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovBlackravenWise_Grimwald
    edited June 2017
    @Corey_Russell
    Just remember that there is more than one way to kill a cat. You can send an eagle after it, choke it with cream. Poison it. That is, use your imagination and remember that most bad decisions are not fatal if you survive the individual battles. I have found tactics that you will already have learned are very appropriate in this game. Scout ahead with a thief or ranger etc. Web followed by cloudkill and fireballs works well, but mage needs Mirror Image. Barkskin or stoneskin is also helpful. You will understand why in time. Also remember that using high speed to escape a stronger enemy than you are can be a winning tactic and often is. Having dispell invisibility is also very helpful as the Dragonspear enemies use stealth VERY effectively.

Something you may not know is that reactions change depending upon who is in your party.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    CrevsDaakBlackravenAerakarJuliusBorisov
    @everyone - no updates for a while. Will be out of state and no computer - will check in and see how things are doing in 4 days. Good luck to the no-reloads in progress.
    Grond0Wise_GrimwaldCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    @Grond0 Congrats on getting through SoD
    Grond0JuliusBorisovArctodusCrevsDaak