Skip to content

Questions & Answers Thread from last nights ( and perhaps todays) AMAA

lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
I made this for people who think Reddit is to lame, difficult to understand or whatever...
Please accept errors and not all things are in here.. Im editing things as they come..

Hello everyone! We are Overhaul Games, a division of Beamdog, the team behind Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. We've spent the past while working on an up-to-date version of the classic Baldur's Gate, not only for PC and Mac, but also for iOS/Android tablets!

It has certainly been quite the ordeal for us to get all our ducks in a row in order to rescue this title from the depths of licensing jail, but we've managed to do it and are less than a month away from releasing our new edition of Baldur's Gate. That's why this is an almost anything - we'll answer everything we can but there are a few things that we may not be able to answer for contractual reasons.

Here is our website if you'd like to learn more about what we're adding to the game, and what changes and improvements have been made both by us and the fantastic community that's come together to support this re-release.

Proof it's us is located here. More proof, just in case.

Answering your questions today will be the following team members:

Nathan Willis, QA Analyst, Community Person, Audio Dude - OverhaulNathan
Trent Oster, President/CEO, Producer, 3D/UI Artist - OverhaulTrent
Scott Brooks, CTO, Programmer - Blaze74
Dave Gross, Lead Writer - DaveGross
Phillip Daigle, Lead Producer, Writer - DaigleDopple
Coriander Dickinson, Programmer/Scripter, Video Editor - Corianderd
Keith Soleski, Scripter/Game Designer - OverhaulKeith

ALSO answering (via my account) will be:

Cameron Tofer, COO, Programmer
Alex Molzahan, Intern

You can find us on twitter, as well:

Trent Oster
Phillip Daigle
Scott Brooks
Coriander Dickinson
Cameron Tofer
Dave Gross
Nat Jones
Nathan Willis

[–]SoyGreen

I’ll just get these few questions out of the way!

When will it be released?

What did you say? You want me to beta test on the iPad? That would be awesome!

[–]OverhaulTrent

We're planning on a PC release on September 18 2012. Mac, iOS and Android as close to that as possible.

[–]SoyGreen

I guess I should have been more specific on the release...

I understand the PC on September 18th - how long do you feel the delay will be to iOS specifically? And is the game ready/in the same condition as the PC version - and you just have to wait on approval?

[–]DaigleDopple

We are developing all four platforms simultaneously, so the iPad/PC/Mac/Android versions are all of comparable completion levels. The reason we can't provide an exact date for Mac/iPad is because of the approval process you mentioned.

[–]SoyGreen

Awesome - do you anticipate submitting the app to the respective stores at the same time as the PC version goes live?

So we could reasonably expect (should the approval go OK) within a week or so of the 18th the iOS version being out?

[–]OverhaulTrent
We're likely going to submit before the PC goes live.

-----------------------------------------------------------

[–]sepotter

In regards to the PC release, I understand we will be able to preload bgee, and it will unlock upon release, Will it be exactly at midnight of September 18th, and if so, what time zone?

[–]OverhaulTrent

Yes, we will be supporting pre-loading for those who pre-purchase the game. We're probably going to kick it live sometime in the morning of the 18th (MDT) so we can at least be present for the fireworks and fix what catches fire.
----------------------------------------------------------------
[–]Eraser1024

Hi,

thanks for doing this ama guys. I have a few questions:

I'm very excited about Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. There were two things that prevented me from replaying original BG. The first one was jumpy character animations (it was better in BG2, I think number of sprites was doubled). The second one was walking speed -- it took ages to move around (it was also fixed in BG2, as far as I remember). Will BGEE fix those issues? Speeding up the game a little would be the easiest way to fix both of them.

Do you have any plans of making BG3 (or some other original RPG game)? 3D engine? Kickstarter?

What do you know about Black Isle rebirth? Who's involved? I'd love to play Icewind Dale III! (IWD1 and IWD2 EEs would be great too.)

[–]OverhaulTrent

We're based off teh BGII codebase, so we should have most of the animation jumpy-ness solved. We're also using the BG2 walkspeed, so it will be less annoyingly slow.

We'd love to make a BG3. Right now all the parties involved are taking a "wait and see" approach. So far, no contracts.

I know it is Interplay behind it and I have yet to hear of any developers associated with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[–]lordus34

Hey guys.. Love the way youre handling this new BG EE :O)

Will there be a new world map, now there is new stuff and NPC´s ??

[–]OverhaulNathan

Cameron Tofer, our COO and one of our Programmers answers:

"There is a new world map in process."
------------------------------------------

[–]diggerB

Can you describe the control scheme and interface for the tablet versions?

[–]OverhaulTrent

On the Tablet, the current controls are: Touch: move to / interact with object / pick up / attack / talk to Touch-drag: move background (scroll camera) Two finger pinch: Zoom in/out Everything else is pretty much a touch on a single button

[–]mkashkin

What about pause? It was very important action.

[–]DaigleDopple

Tap to move characters and drag the screen around, pinch to zoom in/out, and tap and hold for many things that were previously right-click actions. Text fields and item lists are finger-scrollable now. We've added a few new buttons to control the box-selection mode, as well as a select-all button being more visible. And if you hurl your tablet at the ground, it will shatter.

[–]diggerB

If drag is for scrolling the screen, then how to box-select?

If BG:EE causes me to hurl my tablet on the ground, I'm not buying BG2:EE! Is there a story behind that one?

[–]Blaze74

There is a new button on the bottom right. Clicking it will turn your next drag into a box select. Once you've made that box select it turns off.

[–]DaigleDopple

Box select is a mode now, and there's a "select all" button as well.

BG:EE won't make you throw your tablet in a rage, that's just how we've implemented the "quit" button.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[–]Stargazer5781
Will Dimension Door be an available spell?

[–]Blaze74

We've updated it so Dimension Door is castable by anyone via Ctrl-j

[–]OverhaulTrent

Dimension door was removed from BG2 due to how it could break the game. We're respecting that design decision.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[–]KellyCommaRoy

Oh boy, I've been waiting for this one. This is kind of a narrow question so I doubt it will garner many upvotes.

I've been voice acting for almost a year (as a hobby, on YouTube) and I would most love to get involved in video games. I realize it's far too late to get in on BGEE, but how does your team cast for games? Does someone like me have any chance at being in one of your games on my own, or do I need some kind of representation somewhere?

Well, any advice you can give me would be really appreciated because I'm kind of flying solo on this voice acting thing.

[–]OverhaulTrent

Most of our voice actors were suggested by our Audio Producer, Dave Chan (also formerly of Bioware) He sent us over a huge library of auditions from previous projects and we listened to them and made a number of selections from that list. We also requested a few names and managed to convince them to try out.
Best way to get into voice acting? hmm, hard question. I'd make a great demo reel which covered a few genres and try getting it to every audio producer you can find.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[–]Noldofinwe

Any chance of releasing a screenshot of the nice crispy game with UI for us? :D

And do you have plans to improve upon BGEE and make new adventures within the game? How would this work out with the level cap that BGEE has?

Any chance to play a Elven paladin?

[–]OverhaulTrent

We're taking a huge amount of time with the screenshots because we are still making radical revisions to the UI and all marketing assets need to be approved by Atari and Wizards before we can post them.

We've added three characters and their related quests / storylines to the game as well, we have plans to further add on to the adventure and raise the level cap a bit

No Elven Paladins, 2nd Ed is pretty straight on Human only
-----------------------------------------------------------------

[–]Billards

Thanks for the AMA!

Just a couple of quick ones:

How much, if any, of the 'Unfinished Business' content is in BG:EE?

What's one minor change that you think has improved the game the most, that's not been part of a press release?

[–]OverhaulNathan[S]

Hi Billards, thanks for coming out!

Unfortunately, we won't be including any of the Unfinished Business mod content with the BG:EE core. In order to include any mods with the game, we've done our best to ensure that we get direct permission from the creators involved and credit them accordingly.

Unfinished Business is one of those mods that, although it has one sort of 'curator' to look after it, who sort of owns the content therein is a big question mark. In addition, there are some strict contract-related things about modifying the existing game's content that we have to be careful to not run afoul of, so... there you have it.

BG:EE will be very mod friendly though, I believe more-so than BG2/BG1 is, and should support existing mods with minimal modification on the mods' part. I'd be surprised if the people in charge of curating the mod don't update it to work with BG:EE fairly quickly.

For me, I'd think it's the overall efficiency of the game. The game is now being rendered in OpenGL and as such suffers no extreme slowdowns from spell effects and items on-screen, and Scott Brooks (@Blaze74 on here) our resident code guru has made some major improvements to loading times. Basically everything in the game is instantaneous now in terms of transitions, auto-saving, the like.

People have been saying, "it already loads super fast on current systems" - I assure you, it's much faster now. Enough that whenever I have to load up the old game for reference' sake I get frustrated with loading screens.

edit: I accidentally a word.

edit2: I should mention for interest's sake, we're working very closely with many of the mod creators that have been supporting the game these past 14 (eesh.. 14!) years. They've been very gracious in providing their support (in some cases even providing their content!) and helping us out in our beta testing.

[–]DaigleDopple

i was like "just steal the content, ain't nobody gonna care" but i was shouted down by the ethics committee.

----------------------------------------------------

[–]cutlasskiwi

Is it terrifying working on/updating games that have (many times) been called the greatest RPG series ever made? :)

Will the new characters have more to say or comment on than the existing ones or is it about the same?

[–]DaveGross
Yes, it is definitely intimidating to work on a classic like Baldur's Gate. With that in mind, we're being careful not to make big changes to the original content, although we have been cleaning up typos, fixing bugs, and otherwise "polishing."

[–]DaveGross

The new NPCs each have a full quest and a little banter, along with "starter romances" that can blossom into full-scale romances in BG2.

[–]OverhaulTrent

If we cock it up, it is going to bring a pretty epic level of hate our way, so we're treading carefully. I worry about it every night when I should be sleeping.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

[–]Medillen

Do you sometimes feel "restricted" by that frame ? Have you ever thought "That twist plot would be soooo great" but unable to act it out ?

Don't be afraid, we (well I assume i speak for more then just me) love how you guys approach BG enhancement, with all the transparency, the talk, the discussion with well known modders and the community.

[–]OverhaulTrent

I think we're currently pretty happy with the scope. BG3 becomes a much taller task. You end BG2:ToB either a God or someone who refused Godhood. Where do you go from there?

[–]DaveGross

Answering for myself, I don't feel restricted so much as I think it's better to have a light hand on the original content. BG is a classic for a reason, and any changes we make must definitely improve the game without just changing it to suit our own tastes.

Besides, we have plenty of freedom in developing the additional content, like the new NPCs and upcoming expansions of the story. I never feel much impulse to mess with the work of the original designers except to buff it up a bit here and there.
------------------------------------------------

[–]Medillen
I've just read your other replies - with Elaine co writing - and it seems like you are the type of writer that blends easily with others works, something not given to most of us poor mortals ! A well placed gift for BGEE :) Any accessible detail on upcoming expansions of the story ? Will they be part of the shipped game, future content, DLC ? Have you ever worked on a video game scenario before ? Is it different from your novel experience ?

[–]DaveGross
I'm pretty sure I can't tell you much about upcoming releases, but I know that info won't be secret for long. Keep an eye on baldursgate.com for new info. It usually appears there first. Writing for BGEE is very different from writing novels. Trent and Phil (and perhaps others) had already come up with the plot and created the important characters, so my work has been much more like writing scripts for a TV show that's already shot its pilot.

[–]DaigleDopple

At first I felt very restricted, but that's because I wasn't as familiar with the Forgotten Realms as I should have been. Now I feel very confident in our ability to create new and interesting stories within the existing framework that don't just jive with everything else, but enhance it.

Eh? Ehhh? Enhance? Get it?
-----------------------------------------

[–]timepiggy

I think the question most of us are here to see answered is whether or not Boo, the Miniature Giant Space Hamster will be available to control and if can he go for the eyes or not?

I will accept an arcade style mini-game featuring Boo if it is all you are offering, or at the very least a quest relating to Boo, maybe to obtain him a fine hat or locate his homeworld

[–]DaveGross

Boo will always go for the eyes! Despite my fervent pleas, no one has yet supported my many requests for Boo-oriented special content, but I won't stop nagging.
---------------------------------------------------------------

[–]Kholdsigma89

Are you able to say which among the new characters is romanceable by the same sex? (I think I recall hearing that one could be)

[–]DaigleDopple

It's a ~surpriiiise~

[–]DaveGross

I've been advised that the time is not ripe for answering this question. (But I want to tell you!)

[–]Kholdsigma89

That's okay, it's enough that you want to tell. Thanks, guys!

[–]DaveGross

I want to tell you, but then I'd get punched in the eye. Apparently it's to be revealed at a later date.
--------------------------------------------------

[–]EhSynth

What has been your biggest accomplishment over the course of this project? Biggest hoop to jump through?

[–]Blaze74

From a programming perspective, I'd say it's getting the code base up and running across the four platforms. The original Infinity engine was the first game most of the developers at the time had worked on, so there are a lot of improvements to be had.

[–]EhSynth

Thank you for the reply! Getting across all four platforms is no easy task, I still can't believe you guys are doing it. Anyhow, this fellow Edmontonian has pre-ordered it and I look forward to playing it!

[–]OverhaulTrent

I'd say fighting legal hell for 14 months to get the deal done. I was astounded on a daily basis how hard it was to get everyone to agree.

[–]DaigleDopple

Restarting the art toolchain was a frustrating process. I love the DLTCEP guys to death, but I feel really bad for them. The Infinity Engine is not a kind mistress.

[–]OverhaulKeith

We should also give some props to the guys responsible for Weidu and NearInfinity as well. The modding community for the game has created some really solid stuff.

[–]DaigleDopple

If any Weidu or NI team members decide to brave the frozen north, I will get them drunk*.

[–]Corianderd

From the programming/scripting side it was just getting familiar enough with the ins and outs of the existing scripting language. The Infinity Engine has a lot of "quirks." I have an advantage over a pure scripter because I can debug from the code if something goes terribly wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[–]Thatguyispimp

I just saw one of you guys post this on my facebooks,

I have no idea what Baldurs Gate is,

Please Explain what the game is to you guys in your own words

[–]DaigleDopple

First, there was the pen and paper game Dungeons & Dragons. Then, computer game versions of D&D started to appear.

Baldur's Gate is an isometric (so, Diablo or Fallout) role playing game that uses the D&D rules, or at least a close approximation of them. It is set in the "Forgotten Realms", which is a fantasy universe owned by Wizards of the Coast.

You control a party of up to 6 characters on a quest to discover your past, solve a crisis facing the Sword Coast (a region within the Forgotten Realms), and stop a big bad villain.

It's a slow, tactical game for thinkers and people who like to have deep control over their equipment and skills. And it's fantastic.

[–]Sindyan

Is there any plans to fix the Druid shapeshifter kit in werewolf and greater werewolf forms? I know greater werewolf form is missing a lot of the abilities of the monster version. Or was it planned that way?

[–]DaigleDopple

The Shapeshifter kit werewolf form was nerfed because normal werewolves were too strong at earlier levels, and they didn't really get a chance to fix it for later levels. While I would like to fix the kit, it will most likely have to be a post-release update due to the number of other features we're focusing on.

Believe me, it bugs me too.
--------------------------------------

[–]yoshifan64

Miniature Giant Space Hamster battles?

[–]DaigleDopple

We approached Nintendo about a Pokemon/BG crossover ala Marvel vs Capcom but they wouldn't let us past the front door.
-----------------------------------

[–]Anduin_Shadow_Mantle

Hi! You guy's are so great...

Q1: I'm really exited about Neera the Wildmage. What sneaky peaks can you reveal about her (stats are important when including a member of the team that could accidently wipe you from Fearun by accident!)

Q2: Which Overhaul employee most resembles Seth Rogen?

Q3: Which Overhaul employee most resembles Neera?

anmeld

[–]DaigleDopple

1 - Neera has been known to be a thieving wastrel in the past, which could lead to some consequences for her in the future.

2 - Maybe me, if I had a big ol' fro.

3 - In keeping with the grand tradition of BG portraits being painted-over photographs, Neera was based on a female friend of mine.

[–]DaveGross

Nathan definitely looks the most like Seth Rogen. For Neera, I'd have to say Cori or Phil.

[–]DaigleDopple

Yeah Nathan is a better Seth than I.
------------------------------------------------

[–]hascow

Hi there,

I've been interested in Baldur's Gate for a while, and even had the original bought for me by my Grandpa at one point. The problem was that I was completely lost. There was absolutely no tutorial or anything that helped me understand how to do things. Is there going to be something like that in the Enhanced Edition(or did I miss it in the original?)

For instance, I remember trying to cast a spell and completely losing the ability to use it with nothing happening. nothing at all explained this. This is a problem I have with spellbooks in DnD in general though, so it wasn't just BG.

[–]DaigleDopple

BG:EE will have a modified version of the Baldur's Gate 2 tutorial, and a BRAND NEW MANUAL!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[–]Anatolius

1.Will BGEE feature new spells, cantrips and/or kit-restricted equipment for mages? 2. Will new NPC be involved in BG2-style banters? If so, what about "old" BG1 NPCs? 3. Would you like or can you make an CRPG, where you let the player be villain of the story, or let him side with main villain in the beginning of the game?

[–]DaigleDopple

1 - I believe there's a couple new spells or abilities. Cantrips are still out, because it's hard to find a way to make them useful without being overpowered.

2 - New NPCs get banter ala BG2, old NPCs will have new text-only banter with the new NPCs. The old NPCs will not have any new banter that I know of, because we were unable to obtain permission to include the banter packs that fans have made and didn't have time to write our own.

3 - Heck yeah.
-----------------------------------

[–]Canuckgeekgirl

Hi, thanks for doing this. And thanks for releasing it on my birthday to the PC. What I'm wondering is, are the items hidden around in the game world going to be any easier to find with the EE or are still going to be relying on walkthroughs and guides to find things hidden under every little tree and shrub?

[–]DaigleDopple

There are going to be more items scattered about the game world, but the ease of finding them has not changed. It's D&D, you gotta check every crate and barrel! You never know which garbage heap that +5 Holy Avenger is hidden in...

[–]dermballs

Will you change the mechanics of the game much to make it more friendly to modern game audiences?

[–]OverhaulTrent
Actually, no. I think the game industry in general doesn't give enough credit to gamers. Games are often dumbed down to "Chimp Factor Five" as a means to broaden the appeal. We're taking the opposite approach and "Showing the math" as it were. We're trying to show you how your Armor class is calculated and how your THAC0 (To hit armor class zero) is arrived at. The core mechanics are unchanged and this will somewhat hurt the accessibility of the game.

[–]Medillen

You mean players will have access to more internal info in their character sheet ?

[–]DaigleDopple

We're going to try and give the player more information to explain why they can't equip X or use Y. The information is already present in the game, but just not presented to the player in a cohesive way.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[–]Excalibur_2102

Question for Dave here... I haven't read any of your work personally however I have heard good things... How difficult was it to write extra material for characters that weren't your own? Have you had to do anything like this before?

[–]DaveGross

Interesting question. Fortunately, I've had this experience a couple of times in writing novels.

In the Sembia series set in the Forgotten Realms, I ended up writing the final novel based on a character created by another author. For that one, I didn't exactly try to mimic the established voice of the character after the early chapters; instead, I tried to reveal previously hidden elements of his character, thus making it more my story after events cause him to rise to the occasion.

Also, because of scheduling conflicts near the end of the Sembia books, I had to include the conclusion to the story of yet another author's character (Ed Greenwood's Thamalon I). Fortunately, both Ed and the other authors of the series gave me their blessing to include their characters in the novel, making it more of a "whole family" story, so I did my best to match their style when writing their characters' voices.

A couple of years ago, when I joined Elaine Cunningham in writing Winter Witch, I tried matching my style to hers. That turned out to be even easier than with the Sembia books, since I've long been a fan of her work, and she'd written stories for me when I was editing Dragon and Star Wars Insider.

When I joined Overhaul, Phil Daigle had already created all of the major NPCs. He'd written quite a lot of Dorn's dialogue, a good bit of Neera's, and enough of Rasaad's so that I had a good idea of what each character sounded like. After that, it was a matter of capturing the voices he'd established. We had a lot of back-and-forth early on, so I knew I was on the right track and then forged ahead with some confidence.

I like to think of situations like this as being similar to writing the latest issues of an iconic comic, like Spider-Man, or a beloved TV show, like Buffy. Once you can "hear" the characters in your imagination, the rest follows pretty easily.

[–]Excalibur_2102

Wow, thanks for the in depth reply.. I've wondered how much creative freedom you had with this.. sure you guys know what you're doing though ;)

[–]DaveGross

Me, I've got no idea. I'm trusting Phil to set me straight if I go off the rails. :)

[–]DaigleDopple 3 point

News from WOTC, Dave: We can no longer use the letter 'E'. Adjust your writing to fit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[–]dfar86

How have pre-orders been in comparison to your goals? I know that has a lot to do with the creation of BG3, so are things looking good?

In Baldur's Gate 2, it was much easier to switch characters in and out of your party depending on what you were working on (specific quests, etc.) In BG1, I always had to worry about characters walking away for good if I had them leave my team. Will there be any changes to that mechanic of the game?

[–]DaigleDopple

1 - We've been surprised at the number of pre-orders, in a good way. We can't release any numbers at the moment.

2 - The original NPCs will be unchanged in that regard, the new NPCs will be a little more sensible in that regard.
-------------------------------

[–]matteg

What's next? BGEE has been quite the ordeal but surely there must be plans for longterm projects.

Most importantly, following release are you going to get back to the important business at hand - building race cars?

[–]OverhaulTrent

While I really miss my race car (it sat in my friends shop, missing many parts all summer) The big plan is to look at a BG3 or an Icewind Dale:EE or Planescape Torment:EE

[–]DaigleDopple

you told me we could do Star Control 2 next :(

[–]OverhaulTrent

Fun must wait
-------------------------------

[–]Medillen

Hellow you !

1) Could we have a glance at the full party of BGEE team ? :) I'm interested in those that lurks in the dark :D They also deserve recognition, and it's not fair to steal all their cookies.
2) I'm also interested ( curiosity, what an envil sin !) in their backgrounds. How does suddendly decide to throw himself on the video games world ?
3) A big thank you !

[–]DaigleDopple

1 - We are a superstitious lot and fear that our souls will be forfeit if we allow the magic box to "take our picture". But yes we'll eventually take a team photo. In the meantime, here is a picture of me: http://i.imgur.com/U1nId.jpg

2 - We've all got different origin stories, perhaps we'll add bios to the Overhaul Games website. Mine is largely uninteresting unless you find tales of dragons and unicorns to be worthy of note.

3 - Thank you for being a fan.
-------------------------------------------

[–]Elariuz
Heya Overhaul Games,

Going from Baldurs Gate 1 up until Baldurs Gate 2: ToB, I got the feeling that the first game was really really open - You could travel west, and then discover a whole new area or town to explore and do optional quests in! An aspect that I appreciate greatly in a RPG - This seemed to be a little less the case for BG2, where quests were given at "X" location and then unlocked and required to travel to "Y" location to solve the quest. In ToB, the story was almost completely linear, something that I was a little bit unhappy with, comparing to the original game.

Will you considder going into this aspect of the game, "Free roam, adventurer style" from Baldurs Gate 1 and maybe expand on it a little in Baldurs Gate 2 and it's expansion?

Thank you for awesome games that I have played through more times than I can count!

Kind regards, Kristian

[–]Eraser1024

I agree about open nature of BG1's world. It was awesome! I just went on exploring. I remember meeting Korax the Ghoul in the woods. And basilisk with collection of "statues". And dryad that wanted to seduce and kill me. I love this game so much!

[–]OverhaulTrent

With our new content we are trying to walk a line between the two extremes and provide an open world fee while adding the depth to the story many expect form the BG series. I think our future work will really demonstrate where we believe the happy ground is.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

• RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    This is good, but I don't think it's complete.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    It aint.. Ill see what i can do in the weekend.
    (Dont know if @Medillen is making another one ?)