Skip to content

PnP (3.5/Pathfinder) Moral Dilemma!

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
So I'm putting together a True Necromancer build for an upcoming PnP 3.5/Pathfinder game.

Now, I have a build with a Wizard 1/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 2/True Necromancer 3 (We're level 9).

The only issue is this build relies on the cheese known as Precocious Apprentice which allows you to cast one 2nd level spell as a level 1 Wizard.

I'm at a cross but I hate cheesing builds but the standard Wizard 3/Cleric 3/True Necro X is REALLY weak. I know I'm better off going Dread Necromancer but I already played one (who died, which is why I'm making this character) and I don't like playing the same class twice in a campaign.

Should I take the cheese of Precocious Apprentice to get this build to work or should I just scrap it and try something else not-so-cheesy to make it work?

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I would cheese it if it makes it into the character you want to roleplay. The game mechanics are a tool, there no shame in using them as such.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459

I would cheese it if it makes it into the character you want to roleplay. The game mechanics are a tool, there no shame in using them as such.

I REALLY love the flavor of the True Necromancer which is what got me on the path to build a viable one XD

Milly Vex is her name. Gnome Necromancer of Velsharoon!

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    It depends on what type of PnP campaign it is. If it is heavily focused on power/combat/effectiveness, do what you have to do. If the campaign works well on the role play side of things, play the class you want and work with the deficiencies. Play them up even. I find that can be just as much fun as power.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The question I would ask is this: is the True Necromancer with the exploited prerequisite going to be overpowered in five levels when it comes into its own, or will it be on par with the rest of the group?

In the end, it's up to your DM whether or not to allow the exploit in the first place. I've read some semi-official verbage that suggests that the ability to cast a single second-level spell as part of a feat is not the same as being able to cast second-level spells for the purposes of qualifying for a prestige class. I remember using this same exploit for a desert druid-type character, but as a DM I don't know that I would have actually allowed it (in the same way that I wouldn't necessarily allow someone to combine Quick Draw and Two-Weapon Fighting to dual-wield with a single weapon).
    edited March 2015
    Dee said:

The question I would ask is this: is the True Necromancer with the exploited prerequisite going to be overpowered in five levels when it comes into its own, or will it be on par with the rest of the group?

In the end, it's up to your DM whether or not to allow the exploit in the first place. I've read some semi-official verbage that suggests that the ability to cast a single second-level spell as part of a feat is not the same as being able to cast second-level spells for the purposes of qualifying for a prestige class. I remember using this same exploit for a desert druid-type character, but as a DM I don't know that I would have actually allowed it (in the same way that I wouldn't necessarily allow someone to combine Quick Draw and Two-Weapon Fighting to dual-wield with a single weapon).

With the way I'm entering I'll probably be on par with everyone. Most people are playing races with level adjustments aside from myself and the party's bard ( The others are a Werewolf, a Half-Dragon, and a Kobold [actually I don't think Kobolds have a LA]).

With this I'd be 2 levels behind in my cleric casting but I'd gain the casting of a 5th level wizard and create undead as a spell-like ability from the True Necro.

I ran the early entry by my DM and he said he was fine it. I just don't like using cheese tactics such as this, but I also don't want to feel useless in the party. :(

I just want to be a cutesy gnome girl that has mastered life and death and is on a revenge path since her best friend was murdered by her best friend's former lover.

Side note: All of those characters were mine <_< >_>

My dread necro, a Half-Drow named Val'myr, took class levels in Tainted Scholar but became insane and went under the control of the DM. My back-up character was a gnome paladin/bone knight girl named Piro.

Val'myr, as an npc, killed Piro and our party's Cleric. The Cleric re-rolled as a Bard and I'm making Milly Vex.

After discovering the news of her friend's death at the hands of a necromancer she sought to fight fire with fire. She then sought Velsharoon's teachings and mixed arcane and divine necromancy to become a TRUE NECROMANCER!

I love the backstory. A lot. XD

There are other, probably more legal, ways to enter the class early but this was the easiest way to go about it though I don't know of them atm. I'll probably research them in a bit.

Hmmmm, I could go Cleric 5/Wizard 1 with the same feat. True Necro only requires that I be able to cast Command Undead as an arcane spell. The feat would still qualify me for that. I'd just be a Wizard 1/Cleric 5/True Necro 3 then.

I'd have Cleric casting of 7, Wizard casting of 3. Would lose two caster levels on the wizard side but it'd be less cheesy which I enjoy. I'd also be two levels higher on rebuke undead though.

Hmmmmm. Thanks for helping spark my idea for a less cheesy build!

Also, for reference, here's the True Necromancer class.

Link removed
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I removed the link from the bottom of your post, since it's not part of WotC's OGL for 3.5e.

(Incidentally, I do have Libris Mortis, so I know the prestige class well. In my own games I ended up using Pale Master more often, though.)
    Dee said:

I removed the link from the bottom of your post, since it's not part of WotC's OGL for 3.5e.

(Incidentally, I do have Libris Mortis, so I know the prestige class well. In my own games I ended up using Pale Master more often, though.)

Oh, my bad o_o
    Sorry >_<

I own 12 or so Pathfinder books and then The Complete Book of Necromancers for 2nd Edition and Libris Mortis/Heroes of Horror for 3.5.

One day I'll play in my first 2nd edition campaign and I can use my Necromancer book!